Casa Grande Bambito Highlands Resort
$108
$98
$82
Cabanas Dr. Esquivel(Volcan)(Great Value!)
$44
Priceline
Finca Lerida(Boquete)
$155
$168
$128
$184
The Haven and Spa(Boquete)
$109
$60
Travelocity
$84
Orbitz.com
$243
All reviewsthe rivermountain resortroom was clean and comfortablean oasisplace is beautifulroom was largepanama citygreat foodtemperaturehighlandscanopybathtubgroundsunitstressnature
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Husband, sister and I drove up the narrow mountain to the location. If you drive, you have to be extremely careful as the road is not the best. The road is a bit treacherous if you are not accustomed to driving uphill. We drove from Santiago, Panama because it was so hot in that particular part of Panama. We figured that the temperature would be pleasant. It was more than pleasant as far as the temp. It was chilly, about sixty degrees in the shade and about sixty five degrees in the sun. The place is located in an out of the way path but it is very nice. We stayed in one of the cabins. This particular cabin had two bedrooms, one with a shower in the room and the other washroom was in the hall. No air conditioning, no fan. However, it is warm enough with blankets. You do need a sweater and some type of warm clothing . There is fridge, a stove, a nice tv in the sitting room. Pleasant place. Furniture is in need of replacement but beds are OK. The restaurant is clean. There was one waiter serving and he did OK. Food is fine. It is not very expensive. Great Panamanian breakfast! It is cooked to order and the staff is very accomodating.
There is a lot to see in regards to the ecosystem. We hired a guide who had her own car. Even though the owner of the agency stated a different price, when he got there he said it would be double if the guide drove. We opted for the guide and her car as it was a stick shift car and she is familiar with the terrain. I guess the owner of the company thought one of us would drive and the guide would just talk to us about the different parts of the countryside. We did see a lot of the countryside. Much to see. Don't miss the beautiful Jansen Farm which has a coffee plantation. The coffee is delicious! We bought one bag and wished we had purchased more. We also went to a farm where race horses go to end their run. Beautiful thoroughbred horses. A wonderful setting with lush plants, flowers and of course, a gift shop. Make sure that you try the coffee everywhere you go if you are a coffee lover. However, beware of instant coffee. That seems to be popular there as well.
We enjoyed the hotel and the tours. There is a spa. My sister booked a massage and said it, was fine. The pool is small and the water is cold. So, if you like cold water and sunshine, then by all means take a nice soak.
We would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as there is not as much noise from the adjacent rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank panz22
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The weather is great. The property beautiful. There are plenty of activities for kids, such as horseback riding, tubbing, exploring, and a chilling swimming pool. There is a spa and the food is very good. I highly recoommend it for visiting that area of Chiriqui Highlands.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Nicki10
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The access road is narrow and not in good shape. The rooms lack of an air conditioner and/or a ceiling fan, even though the tempareture in the area is nice during the day and cool during the night. I think a mini fridge and coffee maker would be a good idea. As the cabins are almost all wood you can hear what is going on in the oposite cabin, footsteps, conversations, door slamming etc. The staff is great, they do as needed to meet your demands, always witha smile on their face. The food in the restaurant is ok as well as the beverage selection in the bar.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank VORLOC
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My wife and I arrived with another couple for two nights at the Casa Grande. It was our first time here. We had a promotional rate that was a steal. I'm going to rate it not on the price we paid but if I had to pay $80 to $120 a night.

We arrived at 2:30 pm. Check in was easy. We were in the Garden View rooms. We had room 2 (1 king size bed with large sofa). Are friends were to be in room 4, another king, but it had plumbing issues. They were going to move them to room 7 with a king bed, but our friends ask for room 3 right next door with 2 double beds. We were happy and the Casa Grande handle this with class and with a high level of customer service.

First off, the Garden view rooms are huge!!!! The bed is comfortable and there is plenty of light and storage. The bathroom was huge as well. Small sink and not much storage in the bathroom, but there is a tub and a separate shower. Everything was quality. They had plasma tvs. They also set out 2 bottles of water that are free. That was a nice touch.

A couple of minor things for you to know. First, there is no AC or Heat unit. We didn't need it but if the room is too cool or to hot, there is not a way to change it. Now, the next issue is there is no ceiling fan. So whatever the room temperature is, that's what you get. We have a travel alarm that measures temperature. During the day the room was 73 degrees. At night it dropped to 67. We were fine. Some may find it too hot or too cool. Just understand this.

The other issue is on the first night we hand a family with a 2 year old (close guess in age) that cried all the time. The walls are thin and even with ear plugs the child woke me up and I'm a decient sleeper. Just know that if it is high season and crowded you might hear your neighbor.

The grounds are beautiful. They speak a fair amount of English and everyone was very friendly offering advice and help at every turn. They have a concierge that speaks English and a beautiful bar area with fire place that they light at night. They had 2 for 1 wine by the glass at the bar. We par took of this the first night. It was wonderful and relaxing.

The Junior Suites and Royal Suites are nice and separate buildings. The JR Suites have 4 suites per complex and the Royal Suite is a 2 unit building. The bathrooms are not even close to as big or as nice as the Garden view.

They have a pool but it was filling and it is not enclosed. I don't know if it is heated but unless it is I can't imagine using it ever. It was pretty but not sure how functional it is. We didn't come for the pool so it wasn't a big deal.

They have a restaurant on site. We all ate there the first night. The menu is a little limited but everyone found something they liked and it was fine. We found the prices reasonable. My wife and I with a bottle of wine, tip and taxes ate for under $50 and I had a decent bottle of wine.

Our friends ate there the second night and enjoyed it as well.

What we enjoyed was in June, when we were there, it was beautiful and sunny in the morning and we went out and did things around the area of Volcan. By afternoon 1pm or latter it rained and rained hard. We sat on our covered sitting area (2 chairs and 1 table) and talked, drank wine, or read and just listened and watched the rain. The sound of the river right across the street is very relaxing and enjoyable.

Internet is free and is best accessed wirelessly inside the lobby or bar area. I was able to get a faint signal from the Garden View room 2 but when the rain was hard I lost signal. Not a problem since they said it was only available in the bar area.

Again we had a very special rate. I would happily pay $120 for less for this. It was enjoyable and relaxing. Again, it was the low season. There were only 4 units occupied the first night and only three the second night so it was not crowded. I don't know what it would be like in the busy season (January to April). I think it would be fine and charming.

Again, we had a great two night stay and would return and recommend the Casa Grande.

Room Tip: Check out ofertasimple.com for special offers.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stargazerm31
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This hotel is great to get away. The area of Bambito is gorgeous, surrounded by forest and rivers, with a spring temperature all year. Casa Grande Bambito is excellent for couples or for families. The rooms are very big and even their standard room is a suite (Garden Suite) and fits 4 people. I loved the tubs, these are very rare in Panama and fit more than one so definitely a treat!
The area has a ton of fun activities like horseback riding, climbing the volcano, trout fishing, hot springs, going to finca dracula horse farm, etc. I also recommend the hotel's spa, it is gorgeous made out of bamboo. I got a great massage.

Room Tip: Check out the low season specials, right now they have a promo rate for $69 plus tax
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple