“So good I've been back twice already!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Peten
Gucumatz Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Peten B&B and Inns
Flores, Guatemala
“So good I've been back twice already!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Gucumatz Lakeside Inn was my first stop in Guatemala, principally for a quiet location near Tikal and its stunning Mayan temples. It was like stepping into a fresh corner of paradise that somehow also felt like home! On the other side of the lake from the more fashionable Flores, the lakeside location is idyllic and the water always so inviting and invigorating. The gardens flourish with trees and beautiful flowers, and I love that there are so many different levels and hideaways, shaded hammocks and hanging beds. The icing on the cake (including sometimes literally) is the generous hospitality and service of creator, owner and hostess, Moya, backed up by her family and her staff. No request seems too small and Moya has a canny kknack of thinking of things that make life even better than it is, just before you can say "Life doesn't get much better than this..."!

Also invaluable were Moya's ideas and experience of travel in the region; thanks to her I didn't even need a guidebook to plan the rest of my way round Guatemala (nor parts of Honduras, Belize and Mexico, for that matter).

In visiting Guatemala, I stayed at Gucumatz at the very start (extending the original booking) and the very end, an ideal way to open and close the trip. I since returned for a longer stay of 2 months by way of personal retreat, with time to reflect, read and write, practising sketching and photography, while eating healthily and exercising daily. This is the perfect place! In fact, I recommend it to anyone with any interest in specialist deals they offer here in addition to the regular tourist visit: yoga retreats, long stays for over 55s, creative writing retreats, art holidays, photography holidays, intensive Spanish language classes, local community involvement programmes...all in such a beautiful setting with all your needs catered for.

I have loved travelling in Guatemala and Gucumatz has been my favourite place to stay in a country that has unexpectedly caught my imagination and my senses. I highly recommend the raw natural beauty of the country, the richness and extent of its ancient culture, and the warm good nature of its people - and if/when you come, at least one visit to Gucumatz is a must!

Muchas gracias a todos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The saying "saving the best for last" IS true! We were supposed to stay at Gucumatz at the beginning of our road-trip from Guatemala to Belize as it is situated rather close to the border, but unfortunately, due to issues out of our control we were forced to forego the night in the hotel and do an overnight drive. Well, Moya could not have been more accommodating when she quickly changed our reservation for the end of our trip instead without any problem whatsoever. Basically, we were saving the best for last without even knowing it at the time! Upon driving up we were greeted by Moya who showed us our room, which was adorable (not to mention clean and cozy) and all sorts of amazing and gave us a tour of the entire property. The hotel, which is fairly spacious, has countless nooks and crannies to hang out admiring the view, reading a book or drinking a Gallo. My personal favorite were the hanging beds (they rule!) and hammocks in the cabana along the lake. That same area is the entrance (or jump-off point for the brave souls daring enough to leap from the 2nd level of the cabana like my boyfriend!) for a nice refreshing swim in the lake or a relaxing kayak ride. We opted for it all. San Pedro is a very quaint and quiet area just a short drive to its neighboring villages. Gucumatz is the perfect place to stay for an amazing day along the lake with the nightlife of Flores. (Sidenote: the road circling the lake can be very dangerous (if curvy, muddy/slippery roads scare you) at times so if renting a car I definitely recommend opting for a 4X4.... and taking it slow along the way)

Gucumatz offers all the amenities of a 5-star resort at a budget price making it possible for me to keep coming back, which I definitely will do ASAP! The ONLY thing I will change is how many nights I stay. 1 night is simply not enough! Oh and 1 more thing - I will definitely make sure to have dinner at Gucumatz since I thoroughly enjoyed the delicious breakfast.

*Flores has become my new favorite area of Guatemala with Gucumatz being a big reason why*

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alymo125
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We were well looked after by Moya and her son at this lakeside inn. The rooms are basic but the setting and lake access are great. The inn is a 35-40 minute drive from El Remate so having your own transport would be an advantage. We really appreciated the care Moya took to give us opportunities to experience everything the area had to offer - from watching a local Mayan ceremony to seeing traditional dance.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank lizahc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at Gucumatz for three nights after visiting Tikal. It was a bit of a gamble as there weren't a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor relatively to other places in the Flores area, but we were EXTREMELY happy for choosing it! Lake Peten is incredible and the place allows you to experience it to the fullest - whether it is by taking a dive, or taking a Kayak for a spin. The room was basic, but we didn't mind as we were at the lake all day.
During our stay Moya was away, but her son was there - and he is an incredible cook! We ate all three meals there every day and it was the best food that we had in Guatemala!
Great hosts, great place, would definitely come back again if we are in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdiAndIdan
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hotel Gucumatz is the place where I would always like to go to relax, to enjoy the beatiful lake Petén Itzá and, of course, as a base to visit the impressive mayan sites Tikal or Yaxhá.

The hotel is just by the lake shore, with excellent access to the water to swim, kayak, row... It has a number of places with hammoks to rest by the lake, so that, even if there are more people in the hotel, you feel you are the only human in the lake!

The balance quality/price is simply excellent. And, last but not least, the service is so pleasant and warm. Moya and his sons are so charming!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angel P
Dominical, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our hostess Moya of the Gucumatz Inn met us at the airport in Flores and transported us into another world. She first familiarized us with the beautiful Lake Péten Ítza area with its small villages in the Guatemalan countryside. Then we moved on to the majesty of Tikal and its temples, and the remote mostly uncovered Xacha ruins still surrounded by monkey-filled jungles.

The Inn was a wonderful retreat for our down time as we kayaked and swam in the crystal clear lake and enjoyed a delicious variety of Spanish and Central American cuisine right down to the homemade bread and desserts, run by Moya and her two sons with their English/Spanish heritage. The inn is gorgeous, yet with a primitive feel and all of our needs were happily met. We loved the lush plantings all set about with little accessible play areas - bar, library, museum of Maya artifacts, restaurant, and our favorite, a palapa set out over the water complete with hammocks. We loved it, the family, the Maya ruins and hope you do too.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank costajill
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Gucumatz Inn for 2 nights. We drove from Belize to Guatemala to visit the Tikal Ruins and found this Inn on trip advisor. While we were driving on the dirt road, we were very anxious to arrive at the Inn and relax as it was already 7 PM. When we arrived, the couple running the place helped us with out luggage and gave us a tour of the facilities. This place is more beautiful than the pictures! We had dinner here both nights. Such perfect ambiance. We were thrilled with the service. We left to see the ruins at 4 AM and we had sack lunches waiting for us when we left. We enjoyed kayaking in the lake but my favorite part was taking a nap on the hanging beds during a rain storm. I HIGHLY recommend the Gucumatz Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Becky W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peten
Las Lagunas Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in El Remate
Camino Real Tikal
Camino Real Tikal
#1 of 6 in Santa Elena

Been to Gucumatz Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!