La Casa De Don David
Hotel Mon Ami(El Remate)(Great Value!)
$28
  • Restaurant
Hotel Sun Breeze(El Remate)(Great Value!)
$25
$34
$30
Guest House Posada Ixchel(El Remate)(Great Value!)
$19
$69
  • Breakfast included
$64
Posada del Cerro(El Remate)
  • Pool
Hostelworld.com
All reviewstoucan expresszip linevisiting tikalhot waterfree meallake petenbeautiful groundsexotic birdslake viewrooms are basicshort drivetikal national parkdown the roadsmall townbelize borderearly in the morningafter a long day
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ok the rooms are simple and functional. But you get what you pay for. Lovely garden and grounds. Nearby hotel has a pool you can use. Easy access to Tikal, the hotel provided a great knowledgable guide for us (Samuel). Really recommend staying here.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed for one week at this property. I arrived on a mini bus from Belize City and the driver left me off right outside the guesthouse which was a real bonus. El Remate is a very quiet little village less than one hour from Flores. The guesthouse is wonderful as are the staff. The room was a bit Spartan, it would have been nice to have a radio in the room. The aircon was good and the bathroom clean. I ate at least once a day in the restaurant and loved every meal they served whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. This really is a magical little place for those whio want to be near the jungle but also by the lake. It's place to stop unwild and reflect. I felt very calm after my days there.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an aircon room as it gets very very hot.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at Don Davids for 4 nights with our 2 children (age 8 and 4). The large clean grounds were a great place for young kids to run around. My oldest son liked hunting for tarantulas in the evening.

Walked to the park entrance for lake access. The lake was so warm and we had the place to ourselves. We spent hours jumping off the docks.

Great place to stay to visit Tikal. It was simple to walk out to the road and catch a ride on a mini-van right to the ruins.

There were a couple of options for food in El Ramate.

After visiting Flores for a day, we were glad to come back to El Ramate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was my first time in Pretend and I was happy to stay here. I originally thought about staying in the national park lodging in Tikal sine we were going to see the ruins. Howevery staying in El Remate was a much better and cheaper option. The staff were amazing and extremely polite and accomadating. They made all of our arrangements from picking us up at the bus stop at five in the morning to booking our dawn tour in Tikal. The hotel is also very environmentally aware as the recycle. Some of the only issues I have about the hotel are the shower and the Internet. The showers are limited to five minutes of hot water before needing to regenerate for twelve minutes. This can be easily solved by turning off the water when lathering up and using it only to rinse. Annoying but conserving. The Internet isn't strong in the room we stayed in so I had to use my own Clark stick which isn't needed if you're not planning on staying in country for a long period of time. On the hotel server you can't download or play youtube videos or really anything that requires a large amount of bandwidth. What it do is get you from spending large amounts of time nonlinear and more time enjoyingthe area and relaxing. The garden is beautiful and the flowers that bloom at night are amazing. Great air conditioning and the owner is very sweet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LynetteLuna
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We (a couple and myself) recently stayed 3 nights at this property and found it to be a very comfortable and pleasant. The grounds were very clean and well kept, the landscaping was excellent, and the views of the lake nice. I had a standard, double room to myself, with air conditioning and private bath for $30US per night (however they charge by the number of persons per room). It was very clean, comfortable, and had plenty of hot water. The staff was quite accommodating and friendly (but not overly so, which was good). My friends shared a premium, double for $56US ($28x2) Along with the price of the room, 1 meal a day was included. We chose breakfast each day, and it was plentiful and tasty; and I enjoyed coffee and the view from the open air restaurant each morning. They also had a 2nd story viewing deck at the back of the property next to the lake and it was awesome. The last 2 evenings we sat there and enjoyed some fine Guatemalan rum while watching the fruit bats fly around us. Anyway, we found Don David's a fine place to stay I we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I found the standard room I had on ground floor under the restaurant to be perfectly fine and quite...and noticed no noise in the mornings or evenings from it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends