“And they got away with it”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Neighborhood: French Quarter
philadelphia, PA
“And they got away with it”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I regret needing to rate the overall experience as terrible since the company and food were actually great. However, the fact that as a group of 7 we were given false information regarding the "entertainment fee" (I saw a note on the menu and inquired of our server, and she said the fee was $5/person and would be charged when the music began), and were served drinks which we did not request but were told they were included in the entertainment fee, and then when we got the bill we were charged $10/person for the entertainment fee and the drinks, put a damper on the evening. It gets worse, though, because when we complained to the manager, he refused to come to the table, we had to go to him, and he not only refused to correct our bill, but threatened to call the police if we "did not pay for the drinks that were part of the entertainment fee."

When we were seated at 7:00 there was no sign about a cover charge. Our server admitted she was new and that she had forgotten to give us the correct information ( and also charged for a bottle of wine we never ordered, but that was corrected. ) I have never been treated so rudely, especially after spending nearly $400 on a fine dinner, and I was angry and rattled for the rest of the evening. What would have been a great NOLA memory was tainted by this highly questionable business practice.

I see from these reviews that our experience was not unique.

6 Thank phillynilly

Cincinnati
“Club 300 Jazz Bistro”
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Last week I took a group of 10 to the Club 300 Jazz Bistro on Decatur Street in New Orleans. Based on my call to the restaurant, I was told this was considered fine dining with live jazz music beginning at 7pm - ideal for a group to experience New Orleans. Upon inquiring about any additional information I should know before giving my credit card to secure the reservation, I was cautioned that the gratuity would be included on the bill, nothing unusual in my mind.

We arrived promptly at 7pm for our reservation on Tuesday evening and were seated immediately (the only patrons at that time and there was no live music upon arrival as described when making the reservation). Our drink orders were promptly taken and unfortunately, the experience diminished from there. Our table was assigned two servers and one trainee; one server for each side of the table and the trainee to provide drinks and refills. One server was terrific, the other was rude and abrasive. After receiving our initial drinks, it was nearly impossible to receive refills without leaving the table to ask for assistance (bottled beer and wine). At 9pm, about 1hour and 45 minutes after placing our food order, the food arrived and the live music had finally begun. We were informed the owner, Mary, sings with the band every Friday, was selling CD's if we wanted to purchase, and was in the restaurant for autographs if we chose to purchase.

The food quality overall was good. The pork and filet entrees were a bit over-cooked and dry, but nice portions. No salad with meal and average entree at the table was $25 to $34.50. The appetizers chosen at the table were breads with three types of garlic butters - similar to any chain italian restaurant.

At nearly 10pm, one of the servers approached a member of our party to inquire if we wanted the "entertainment fee" added to the alcohol bill or the food bill. I was puzzled and asked the server to explain as this expense had not been described at any point during the reservation, our meal, nor posted in the restaurant. After about 15 minutes, a manager (assume he was a manager, wearing a polo and shorts), came to the table and explained that there is a fee for anyone to eat or drink in the restaurant and it is posted on the outside of the restaurant as a "cover charge". I attempted to explain my dissapointment as our bill was $650., our service had been terrible, and the food was lack-luster. It seemed insane that we would pay a cover fee to listen to a band that had played for only one hour of our visit, and even taken a break in that hour! He said that was "the policy" and people wait in line to listen to their band. Not only was there no line that evening, the restaurant wasn't full. He refused to make changes to the bill. I asked to speak with the owner and he said she was unavailable. Funny, she was available to sell us a CD and autograph it, but not available to speak to me about the horrendous service and misleading "cover charge" fee.

In my opinion, if you are going out for a glass of wine and to listen to jazz music, perhaps Club 300 would be a good option. If you are going out for an enjoyable dinner, I would not recommend this restaurant.

The next night we went to Broussard's and thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience - prompt and friendly service, beautiful courtyard dining, and a wonderful meal.

11 Thank roadwarrior65
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Food and music both great! Best apetizer bread I've ever had anywhere.”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Food and music both great! Best apetizer bread I've ever had anywhere.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Incredible Dining Experience in Jazz Supper Club”
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Our party of 5 just got back from a 5 day trip to NOLA and this was the best dining experience we had in a city of great food. This is a supper club, where they perform live jazz every evening while you dine. The ambience of the music was only enhanced with the dinner. Most of us ordered the filet mignon which was prepared to perfection for all of us. Served with lobster croquettes and spinach, it was fabulous and presented so nicely. The chef came out to our table and personally flambeed our Bananas Foster for dessert.

Nate at the bar served up some very original and classy drinks. The specialty was a Coconut Mohito. I personally tried 2 of the martini creations that were delicious.

This place is not cheap. Actually it was quite expensive but was so delicous with such a great atmosphere that we did not mind paying 37.50 for the entree alone. We will go back again.