“Wanted to stay longer!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Antebellum Guest House
Ranked #50 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Wanted to stay longer!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I loved staying at the Antebellum Guest House. The house is beautiful and appointed with unique antiques, a luscious courtyard dripping with Spanish moss, comfortable beds and linens, an inviting hot tub and great location. The best part about staying at the Antebellum Guest House is definitely meeting the owner Keith and his partner Art. Keith is a true artist in everything he does. The breakfast each morning was to die for and mirrored the period of the home itself. This is not a typical breakfast and his culinary talent rivals any 5 star chef. Keith is accommodating, friendly, fun and very knowledgeable about the culture and great spots to visit during your stay. Perhaps what I liked most was getting to know him and his partner Art. They are two very genuine, kind, intelligent and fun people to meet. My husband and I can not wait to return and will book our stay around the availability at the Antebellum House.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bordello room and found it charming, quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fourletterleah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Highlights
- owner Keith's hospitality
- Keith's wonderful 3-course breakfast
- amazing double-gallery mansion built in the 1830s, well preserved, lovingly restored, furnished with antique furniture

I'd give Keith 10 stars if I could. We stayed 3 nights in the Rococo Room. Due to its brick walls, the room had no wifi signal. We spent a lot of time in the common area (where wifi is strong) talking to Keith as the result. Keith's stories made all the difference of our trip. He shared with us how he restored the house with his artist skills, how he furnished the house, his wildly creative Mardi Gras costumes (made by himself!), Katrina and ghost stories. Keith's hospitality allowed me to feel how people lived in the early 1800s and how New Orleans live today.

Keith spent 2 hours each morning preparing the 3-course breakfast. It's A LOT of great food. We would have a light lunch at 2 or 3pm. Different menu each day. We got to sample different egg dishes and King Cake!

The house itself was amazing. I took 3 different walking tours - French Quarter, Garden District and Ghost Tour. I'd wonder what those graceful mansions looked like inside. Staying here gave me plenty of clues.

Keith loves to talk to people and hears from his guests about their experiences. Most of his guest are now from tripadvisor, return guests and word-of-mouth. He doesn't need to advertise.

I'd to come back one day for Mardi Gras and see Keith decked out in his costumes.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Rococo room. It doesn't have wifi signal due to its brick walls. You can go to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 5, 2014

If you are looking for traditional, authenticity, proximity to the French Square and yet quieter that being right there, excellent neighborhood, AMAZING breakfast, hospitality and feeling of what it was in the 1800's, well, you found it here! Keith is an 5 start host, cook and guy! This place is an experience at the heart of New Orleans that you should definitely put in your agenda. Your breakfast at regular B&Bs, lousy, right? Where here the breakfast is beyond imagination...by the way, you may skip lunch after it. The room is super nice, the house overall is full of history and what Keith and Art, his partner, has done in it to restore it, is incredible. It was unusually cool when we were there, 40's ....so we enjoyed the jacuzzi surrounded by tropical plants in the what I would call, a dream like back yard...ok, after writing this, it makes feel like I should plan my next trip to NO soon!!!

Room Tip: If you read the description of the bedrooms on their website, I assure you it is accurate. We stayed...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TobeyMonroy
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at the Antebellum Guest House in mid-October and it was a wonderful experience in every way. The house is authentic and so are the hosts, Keith and Art. Every guest who stays here feels very welcome and enjoys Keith's delicious old-fashioned breakfasts, fascinating conversations and helpful sightseeing hints. The house is located near enough to the French Quarter and Frenchmen Street for easy visits, but far enough away to be in a quiet residential area. Antebellum Guest House is so much nicer than staying in a regular "corporate" hotel. Our friends stayed here last year and raved about the place, so we knew that it would be good, but it was more than that - it was special and memorable. This was our first trip to New Orleans but it won't be our last. We look forward to staying at Antebellum again and again. All I can say is if you are searching for an amazing place to stay while in New Orleans, don't hesitate to choose Antebellum. You'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: There are only 3 guest rooms at Antebellum. We stayed in the two-bedroom suite because the single ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathazmat
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We visited New Orleans over the Thanksgiving week. Antebellum as New Orleans is consistently a fun experience. Keith is a wonderful host, extremely knowledgeable about NOLA and its history. His partner, Art, is a terrific complement. We enjoyed sharing conversations with him. It's obvious he puts his heart and intelligence into providing a complete experience. He generously opens his house to a sumptuous neighborhood Thanksgiving banquet. He was gracious to invite us as friends to his annual gathering. His daily three-course Creole breakfasts were sensory and educational delights. Not to be missed. Really!!!

I highly recommend Antebellum Guest House and I will be back next time I go to New Orleans! 5 stars!! Thanks Keith and Art

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 10, 2013

B&Bs are not for everyone, nor for every city. I booked here for five nights after having difficulty finding hotels due to a big convention in town. In the end, this turned out to be a memorable stay.

Antebellum Guest House is a smaller B&B, with 3 rooms to let. The house is filled with antiques and interesting artifacts. The bedroom, while not particularly memorable, was spacious and comfortable. The location was good, but not outstanding. I didn't want to be directly in the middle of the Quarter, but the walk, while quite manageable, was just a little longer than ideal. So on the "physical" aspects, I would probably give this place 3 or 4 stars. So why the 5 stars?

In a small B&B, much of the experience depends on the demeanor and service provided by the host. From the moment we arrived, Keith proved to be a gracious and exceptional host. He is a history buff, and he can guide you through many of the city's attractions. Where he really shines through, however, is in his amazing, delicious, over-the-top breakfasts. He dresses in appropriate 19th Century garb and presents the most amazing 3 course breakfast which are all based on a "historical" recipe.

The B&B also has some bicycles for guests to use. NOLA is a flat, very bicycle friendly city. Keith provided some good hints for areas to explore, and as a result, one gets a good sense of NOLA apart from the "touristy" areas. The overall experience makes you feel like you are at home, as opposed to in a sterile hotel.

TIP 1: Keith and the other TA posters are spot-on in recommending Frenchman over the Quarter for more local experience of the night and music life. And while parts of the Quarter are a bit longer walk from the Guesthouse, Frenchman is quite accessible.

TIP 2: Buffa's is a local bar with a back room for music just a few minutes walk away. A review of it is forthcoming but don't miss it if you stay here.

TIP 3: Want local cajun food? Cajun Seafood (yes, that is the name, and separate review coming) looks like a whole in the wall and is also only a few minute walk from the guest house. But the gumbo is the best in NOLA, and the boiled crawfish and shrimp are also quite tasty...all at budget prices. Try it out if you stay at the Guesthouse.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JNelsonRedSoxFan
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 3, 2013

As I knew I was planning to propose to my girlfriend over the Halloween/Voodoo Fest weekend, I knew I didn't want to stay in your average run of the mill hotel. So I had a New Orleans local friend of mine do a little digging and she found this special gem for me. I had never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before but upon initially speaking to Keith (our host) and telling him my plans I knew this was the place. The accommodations at the Antebellum are very unique and special...full of rich history and beautiful antiques. But the true standout appeal of the Guest House was our host, Keith. He has an obvious passion for his craft and made us feel right at home immediately. Each morning was filled with amazing culinary delights and delicious conversation. We had the pleasure of making some new friends at our breakfast table including Keith's partner, Art...a great storyteller and fabulous fellow. My marriage proposal and the weekend worked out perfectly and unforgettably thanks in large part to Keith and his gracious hospitality. My soon-to-be wife and I will definitely return on our subsequent trips to the Big Easy. Thank, Keith! :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple