“A nice place, but overpriced”

Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District
Ranked #15 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Hampton Inn in the Garden District is a comfortable hotel, with a nice breakfast every morning and we had a good, quality room with soft bedding, refrigerator, microwave, hanging closet, etc. If this hotel wasn't quite so expensive, I'd give it a higher rating. For the price, I wish that I would have paid just a little more to be closer to the heart of New Orleans. To me the question isn't the quality of the hotel, since it was very nice, it's just the price for what you get. I think you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

It does have a fairly good location, being about 15 minutes or so from Canal Street on the streetcar (which costs $1.25 per person each way... and you need exact cash since they don't give change). Taking the streetcar is easy since there is one that stops directly in front of the hotel. If you are wanting to find dinner close to the hotel, there are a few options. About seven blocks away is the Cafe Atchafalaya which is expensive but with exceptional food. There is a wine bar close, The Delachaise, which I was not impressed with and wouldn't go back to. There is also a restaurant in the hotel next door, but we never went.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on St Charles Street to overlook the streetcar and part of the city. We were on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Hampton Inn's are really making a come back, and this is hotel is making it true. Everything in the hotel was great, the accomodating staff, wonderful services, and the upscale feel. My family and I really enjoyed our stay here. It isn't far from the "downtown" (I'm from Chicago, so this isn't close to downtown). The trolly was just up the road. But, the hotel had all the necessary amenities one could need. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2013

we were stuck next to a room that was converted to a linen closet, and the workers didn't mind slamming the door 19 times, from about 7:45 on, and thats when I started counting. then they would yell down the hall, and knowing just enough spanish to get me in trouble, it was interesting!! the room was 517, the far bed was so tired, that when you roled, you would sound like a chevy needing a lube!!. when I said something to the mgr, she basicly told me I was crazy! and blew me off! conrad hilton is rolling in his grave!! next time, we will stay at the roadway next door, and will be cutting up that worthless points card!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank captnastyme f
beuper, General Manager at Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the noise from our facilities and housekeepers. Your comments will help us to improve our guest experience moving forward. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Brandie Bodin

Reviewed November 26, 2013

All was fine, except the vending machines for dispensed the wrong beverage (got Coke instead of Diet Coke.) I feel the room rates were a bit pricey. Other than that, the overall experience was good. I would use this facility again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2013

A very pleasant stay with the staff handling some special requests very politely and professionally for all of our party members. In particular we had to be in New Orleans much earlier than the 3 PM check-in time, and the front desk staff arranged for those in our party to check-in after 1 PM. They also efficiently handled the arrival, loading (even in rain), & departure of the shuttle buses Friday and Saturday evenings.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I enjoyed my Stay, even though the hotel was older it was extremely clean and the hotel staff very friendly! I stayed for work and it was very convenient for me to get around the town. Also very close (within walking distance) of some great restaurants! I will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Centrally located with the streetcar right out the door. Comfy beds with lots of pillows. Lots of electrical outlets in room! Super staff who were very helpful. Yummy breakfast with lots of choices. I had a very quiet room which made for restful sleep. Room was cleaned thoroughly every single day. Even found room to practice yoga (although it was tight). Have no complaints whatsoever about my stay at the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo