Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$238
$199
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
$372
$328
Waldorf.com
  • Restaurant
The Whitney Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$229
  • Breakfast included
$344
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$250
  • Pool
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$363
$287
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$374
$223
$269
  • Fitness center
$356
$319
$265
1,103 results
All reviewsgarden districtsuperior grillgreat locationtulane universityfrench quartertrolley runsaudubon parkeasy accesstrolley carday passmardi grascomfortable hotelsmall poolself parkingi highly recommend this hotelroom keyfitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I had business every morning for 3 days at the airport, but who wants to stay there when New Orleans is close by. It was my very first trip to NOLA, so I wanted to be close to the action.

My company wouldn't spring for the $40 parking downtown. I was about to give up when I ran across this hotel on tripadvisor. The reviews were overwhelmingly good, and the parking is free, so I went for it.

When you arrive, you'll see the facade that they show on the website with the little circular drive. Ignore that (facing Saint Charles Ave) and take the next right. The hotel parking lot is behind the building and there is a 15 minute parking area there for check in, and ample parking for the hotel.

The hotel is located right on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line. If you haven't been here, that means that you can walk out the front door, pay $1.25, and in a few noisy, charming minutes be let off at Canal Street, literally looking across at the beginning of Bourbon Street. You can enjoy all that the French Quarter has to offer, catch the streetcar back, and be on a (reasonably) quiet street for some rest.

There are a few minor things to keep in mind, but let's brag on the hotel first. I was checked in so fast that I almost didn't want to walk away from the desk thinking I had forgotten something. Every step (and I look) through the lovely lobby, on the elevator, in the hallway, my door, my room... was spotless. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and I've never had one where I didn't find something even slightly dirty. I thought for a second I was seeing a little slight discoloration on the duvet, but it was just a shadow from all the natural light coming in from my street side view. Nothing was new, but everything was brilliantly clean.

Speaking of view, I took the advice of some reviewers and requested a view of St. Charles. The clerk at first was quick to say "it's only the suites with the view". In the end, I had room 324, which wasn't a suite, but had a nice view of the street scene below. It was nice, for a little while. What the reviewers don't mention is that the streetcar service is frequent, very frequent. I would estimate every 5 minutes during most of the day, and much of the night. It also consists of some very old-school electric cars. They make noise, and lot's of it. Rattles, clanks, low roars, buzzes, bells, horns.

Now I don't want to make this sound like a serious problem. It wasn't. I just cranked up the fan in the room, and the white noise did a nice job of hiding the noise. If I had it to do over again? I would have selected a room pointed somewhere else. Also avoid rooms with adjoining doors. The kids next door were very loud one night.

OK, back to the basic hotel stuff. I had a typical room, king bed, love seat, and a nice work area... OH, and a little shout out to EVERY HOTEL WHO WANTS TO CATER TO BUSINESS TRAVELERS.... this terrific property has actually embraced having PLENTY of outlets available everywhere. Three ON the desk plus two USB charging ports. Three more on the bedside table with the USB ports as well. FREE WI-FI. Free Parking! Free Breakfast!

I literally saved $60 plus per day staying here versus one of the downtown high-rises.

Service? Exceptional across the board
Breakfast? Fine, except for the strange round processed egg omelets. I'd rather you leave eggs off the menu than present something like that. I LOVE the waffles. I think they make a big difference on not being "el cheapo"
Cleanliness? Among the best I've ever seen.
Neighborhood? On the immediate, few choices. There is a Rite-Aid nearby to stock your mini-fridge (including hard liquor) and a nice little mexican joint next door. A block west is the Columns Hotel that offers a nice looking happy hour, and live music most nights. For a little more action, there is a more developed area about 1/2 mile east. I walked about 4 miles one day exploring the Garden District and had a ball. Driving later, I realized that I was very happy I didn't go north. Up through there, and the neighborhood goes down real fast. I still felt very safe walking around in the daylight.

I do think it's important to note that the violence in NOLA is very high. The week I was there the news reported 14 shootings, and 5 deaths in one 24 hour period. I drove through a recent scene (albeit because I trusted my GPS too much) the next night. The locals are quick to say "that's in the drug areas", but I found it disturbing how constant the violence seemed to be.

That said, I never encountered anyone that made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome in any way. To the contrary, I found some of the best service I've ever had.

There is simply no doubt that the Garden District will be our stay place of choice when we return. With the Hampton Inn hitting the mark so perfectly, I can't imagine it will take us long to pick this property again.

Room Tip: Avoid Saint Charles Avenue if you are noise sensitive. Anything away from the front would avoid the issue I would guess. Rooms with adjoining room doors are troubled by noise from the neighbors if occupied. Elevators are on the back of the building, totally opposite the St. Charles Avenue rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank zjxtinpusher
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This hotel is one of the best options if you are cruising from New Orleans. They offer free parking the entire length of your stay, and it's just a $14 taxi ride (saves you around $60 bucks total). Great breakfast and comfy rooms in the historic Garden District.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa R
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I can't say enough about the benefits of staying here: free parking, wi-fi, nice staff, a pool, breakfast, cool drinks and a quiet location right on the streetcar. Just don't expect the polish of newer Hampton Inns. The rooms are on the small side and A/C systems are a little noisy. But it's a good value and did I mention free parking?

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank brendastarlet
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We were in town for a cruise so spent 1 night in this hotel. We stayed after we cruised, They allowed us to leave our car in the lot while we were gone. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, we needed to print our cruise documents and they allowed us to do so. We got into town around 11am after our cruise and were able to leave our luggage at the hotel while we grabbed lunch. They called us about 2 hours later letting us know our room was ready, which was nice. It's right besides the St. Charles Street car and takes you right to the french quarter.

It was a great location, and the rooms were nice, we would definitely stay again if we were in town.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vacationaholica
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am always pleased with a stay at a Hampton Inn but this Hampton was unique. It was previously a home and the lobby was large and very attractive. The AC was turned down too low and was uncomfortably cold but thankfully there is an outdoor patio area which is where we wanted to be anyway. It was nicely landscaped, had a a small lap pool and high quality comfortable furniture. The only drawback was that smoking was allowed on the patio which sent me back to my room a few times.
The breakfast buffet had a wide variety of food including some nutritious offerings such as bran cereal, fruit cocktail and oatmeal (and plenty of less healthy options as well such muffins and waffles). They also had oranges, apples and bananas that were available 24/7. They also had cold lemon infused water out all the time which was very welcome after sightseeing in the warm weather. In the late afternoon they put out cheese, crackers and grapes.
The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. In addition to the free in room wireless they have two computers in the lobby and one of them has a printer.
The trolley stop is just a few steps away from the front door. There is also a good place to get very good salads, sandwiches and milk shakes a few blocks away (The Milk Bar on Delachaise). The best way to enjoy them is back on the patio at the Hampton!
Most rooms are on the sides of the building which do not afford good views. But with such a great patio and so much to do in NO this did not matter to us.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple