Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District
Ranked #14 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Brooklyn, New York
“decent home base”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Aside from a few house keeping mishaps, we had a good stay at the hotel. We were visiting family and for our purposes (using Hilton Honors points) it was affordable and convenient. The house keeper left dirty rags on top of my cosmetic case once and even after we mentioned it, something similar happened the next day. Not such a big deal, but we didn't leave a tip for the housekeeping staff as we usually do. I like Hampton Inns in general because they use clean duvet covers on the beds instead of a bedspread. It is nice that the Columns Hotel is across the street (which sometimes has live music) and we liked Delachaise restaurant/bar as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Luludibbs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Florida
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My daughter and I recently booked two rooms at this Inn on St. Charles Avenue on a weekend during Carnival Season in New Orleans. The location could not be more perfect for viewing the parades which pass right in front of this Inn. Ample, secure parking is provided for guests at the rear of the property. A temporary chain link fence is erected at the front of the hotel. The gates to this fence are closed minutes before the beginning of each parade and remain locked until one hour after the end of the parade, thus ensuring the safety and privacy of the hotel guests. Guests view the parades outside on the sidewalk or across the avenue. They can enter the hotel during this period at the rear of the facility, which is only a short walk, by using their room key to gain entrance. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and fresh fruit are available in the very large and comfortably appointed lobby 24 hours a day. There is a tea and cheese reception each afternoon. The rooms meet expectations and are equipped with fridge and microwave. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. Check-in was extremely quick. All in all, a great choice for Mardi Gras fun!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dunwoody, Georgia
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I love the location of this hotel, but this will be the last time I stay at this property or any Hilton property. I admit, it was my fault that I left my jewelry on the bed when I checked out yesterday morning. A huge mistake I now have to live with the consequences of my action.

I did learn about the blame game from the housekeeping supervisor along with some very disturbing hotel policies. It seems the policy is for the housekeeper to unlock all rooms she is going to clean, then she leaves the floor and the open rooms for an extended period of time. The houseman comes by later and strips the beds, then also leaves with all rooms unlocked and unguarded.

Although guests need their room keys to access their floor by elevator, I found out you can get on the floor by the stairs; or so said the supervisor. Funny there was not a run on things taken from other rooms yesterday just mine by this bandit from the stairs but this is their story. She also said they know the procedure the police use and for me to just file a report. I gather this happens a lot in this Hampton Inn.

I also found out from this supervisor that they have cameras in the laundry area but there are no cameras on the guest floors with the open rooms. A great sense of security for all guests staying at this hotel.

I can tell you the New Orleans Police Department are very caring and sympathetic. The officer was professional and honest in telling me there was no real hope of getting back my jewelry. After a day of crying over family pieces that are irreplaceable, I have faith in the police and my insurance company; just not The Hampton Inn or the Hilton Corporation with these lack security policies.

• Stayed February 2012
8 Thank Katpierce
Louisiana
Reviewed February 17, 2012

This is the second year that we have reserved a group block at this hotel for Mardi Gras and I must say that eveyone is very pleased! This hotel is tucked away on St. Charles avenue right on the parade route and street car line in the beautiful garden district of New Orleans. The hotel staff is very friendly and the hotel and sales managers are always available to ensure that everything goes smooth with our visit. The rooms are rather large but I think the furniture can be updated a bit in them. Both the guest rooms and public areas are kept up very nicely and are extremely clean. Breakfast is very nice and has a variety of hot and cold items. Finally, this hotel is IDEAL for Mardi Gras, as they are right on the parade route. The hotel does a great job of handleing the Mardi Gras crowds by providing storage areas for ladders, chairs, etc. as well as providing a gated area to view the parades, with lots of security. Job well done to the Hampton Inn on St. Charles for another great Mardi Gras visit. We hope to see you again next year.

Room Tip: Request a street view room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for a girls getaway. The location is great- the streetcar is right across the street. The daily breakfast is great, and cheese/crackers and fruit are served every afternoon- which is a nice plus after a day of sightseeing. However, what really sets this Hampton Inn apart from others that I have stayed in- is their very patient and accomodating staff! Brandy and Nicole were extremely patient in answering our numerous questions about restaurants and tours. They were both most helpful in calling tour companies for us, and in actually booking tours for us. Upon our return, they were always interested in how everything went and whether we would recommennd the excursions to others. I would definitely stay here again, and feel that you definitely get your moneys worth. You'll then be able to use the money you save staying here and be able to put your money towards treating yourself to the wonderful Louisiana food and other attractions New Orleans has to offer!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Maryann K
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my teenage kids while visiting my old home town for the holidays. What a treat with complimentary parking, convenient location on streetcar line, hot breakfast and great personable staff! It was definitely a "home" away from home. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebecca F
Upland, California
Reviewed January 5, 2012

While I am not the biggest fan of New Orleans in general, I can say that this hotel is ok. The exterior and the lobby are very nice, which pumps this properties rating a bit. The rooms are a little below my standards, however. They are mostly just old. They also have a very serious lack of outlets. This is a problem for the modern traveler. The location is very nice, and is a huge plus as well. This is an average hotel after you combine the good and the bad, and I would stay here again, if I was in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business