“A Hyatt highlight”

Ranked #49 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Brooklyn, New York, USA
“A Hyatt highlight”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Location: Directly located across of the convention center and a stone's through from RiverWalk, but a hike from the French Quarter. Front Desk: Staff delivered inconsistent service (depending on who was on duty). Continental Breakfast: Do not assume that everyone eats pork; so, during the remainder of my stay, I ate breakfast at the Starbucks on the next block. Elements can be improved, especially if using the Hyatt brand.

Room Tip: Sleep Quality: My room faced the convention center, and it was well-maintained. My daughter and I sl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank debo1109

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The Hyatt Place in NOLA at the Convention Center was an awesome stay. Check - in was flawless, which included a warm smile, explanation of amenities and breakfast location. My room was clean and very comfortable. I always rate my rooms on the cleanliness of the bathroom, and it was perfect. The bed was comfortable and clean. The highlight of my stay was the BREAKFAST. It was the best complimentary breakfast at any hotel I've ever stayed at. because of the breakfast Hyatt Place will be my first choice when selecting a hotel for leisure or business. Waffles, egg sandwichesm fruit all excellent. Kudos to Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JerzyTraveler13
denver
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very close to convention center if you are there on business. Check-in was painless with nice customer service from staff. It seems it varies GREATLY on who is working the front desk of this place. During the week we would get excellent to very poor customer service from the front desk. It appears it is time to have a customer service training with desk staff or get rid of some staff that appear they no longer want to work their. I am sure management is aware of their dead weight, at least hopefully they are. The rooms themselves are well appointed and clean. Room attendants did a great job of cleaning the room everyday. The beds were HARD with typical junk hotel pillows. Nice breakfast every morning at the hotel and it's FREE. The hotel has an open center and breakfast is on the 3rd floor. In the mornings you could hear the people gathering for breakfast, and were on the 8th floor. I could not imagine the noise level if you were on level 3,4 or 5. No sleeping in at this hotel, if you are on business you are probably up early anyway. Did not use the fitness center so can't comment on that, I also do not beleive there was a pool at this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank oasis_26
HPNO_GM, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for staying with us as well as taking time to complete a review of the hotel. I was glad to see that enjoyed our breakfast and room overall.

Please accept my apologies for the inconsistent level of service that you experienced during your visit as well as the noise levels in your room. Our team is taking additional steps to reduce the atrium noise that you referenced. This past week our gallery team completed additional service training to improve the service standards. I am confident that our team will work hard to continuously improve and provide a high level of service on a consistent basis.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you that we can do better. Please contact me at tony.welch@hyatt.com or 504-571-7710 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and two adult children visited New Orleans over the Columbus Day weekend. We chose the Hyatt because of its reputation and its location near the edge of the French Quarter. It is also directly across the street from the convention center. The hotel was recently renovated. Our rooms were bright, spacious, and clean. We especially liked the glass-walled step in shower. The hotel elevator requires a room key to access guest floors. The continental breakfast was located on the third floor and it was the best we have experienced anywhere. It included waffles, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, fresh fruit, and a variety of beverages. The hotel has a kitchen but does not have room service. You have to go down to the lobby to pick up your order. We only ate the breakfast meal as we were sightseeing during the lunch and evening meals. Three incidents gave us some concern. One evening the fire alarm went off in the room and halls but you could not hear the announcement inside the room. Before we could get downstairs (we were on the eight floor), the alarm stopped. Another guest said he called the lobby and the person on duty said it was a false alarm. Other guests were already returning to their rooms. Had it been an actual fire, there would have been a lot of confusion as to what guests were supposed to do. On another day, we did not get clean towels. My wife called the front desk and the clerk said she would have someone bring the towels. We went to dinner and when we returned, we still did not have towels and wash cloths (housekeeping had taken the used ones). My wife called the front desk again. This time, the clerk informed her that the company that provided clean towels to the hotel had not arrived. It was after five o’clock in the evening. A person from housekeeping finally arrive with clean towels around eight o’clock that evening but there were no clean washcloths. We gave up and used the hand towels for washcloths. The third and most serious incident occurred when there was a power failure at the city water purification plant. The city health department issued a boil water notice for the city including our hotel. It was on the television and radios news. However, when we returned to the hotel that evening the hotel staff did not mention the warning and there were no notes or warning signs in the hotel. Even after I asked about the health warning, the front desk clerk assured us the water was okay. In spite of that assurance, we got bottled water to brush our teeth. The following morning we went out for breakfast before leaving for the airport. The server at the restaurant informed us that the restaurant was serving bottled water because of the health advisory. My impression of the Hyatt Place staff was that there was no one in charge or knew what they were doing. At a minimum, they did not respond to incidents well or at all. Overall, we had a great experience visiting New Orleans and we would highly recommend it to others. The only downside was the poor customer service at the Hyatt Place. We contacted the hotel and received a response from the hotel general manager but he only addressed the towel situation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert P
HPNO_GM, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience. I was glad to see that you enjoyed our renovated hotel as well as the breakfast experience.

Please accept my apologies regarding the unfortunate incididents that you experienced during your visit with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm. Our team utilizes comments such as yours to provide additional training to our team to be more effective in our communication and service.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns and that we can do better. Please contact me at tony.welch@hyatt.com or 504-571-7710 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Madison, MS
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was OK. The bed was great. The women at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. The place needs sprucing up. Apparently, it used to be another hotel, perhaps a Holiday Inn? The lobby had a peculiar smell from some type of air deodorizer--it was not pleasant. Great location if you're at the convention center, but it's a long walking distance from New Orleans' "action."

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hdmatthias
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at tony.welch@hyatt.com if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very nice hotel. Couldn't be any closer to the convention center unless it was inside of it. Walking distance to French quarter. We walked to Bourbon Street and to the River Market with ease. I would definitely recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Bearmedic74
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for about two nights in June 2012. It's located on a small street not too far from Harrah's Casino. We arrived at night and were greeted warmly by the valet. We opted not to take advantage of the valet parking and parked right next to the hotel on the street. Our car was safe, but we did end up getting a ticket for failing to move the car past a certain time. It would be nice if the hotel had a parking lot, but we were none the worse for wear.

As far as the rooms go, we got a room with a king bed that was splendid. The decor is fairly modern, the furniture appeared new, and the layout was appealing. I'm extremely concerned about cleanliness, and I have to say that the room was up to snuff. There were no stains on the linens and the bathroom was spotless. The continental breakfast has A LOT of variety. We are vegetarian and were able to stuff ourselves before our daily adventures around the city began. The bed was quite comfy. My husband and I would definitely stay there again. While it's not close to everything NOLA has to offer, it wasn't at all far from anything that we wanted to do or see. Another reviewer commented that the wifi was sub-par, but I have to say that we had no problems with the wifi whatsoever.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple