“Lots of bang for your bucks”

Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center
Ranked #53 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel has just been completely remodeled. The rooms are nicely decorated and of decent size.

There are several good restaurants within a short walk (Couchon for example) so the fact that the hotel doesn't have a proper restaurant is not a problem. The breakfast buffet in the morning was good even though a bit unorganized and constantly run out of flatware, but I am sure they will be able to fix that over time.

It's a 20 minute walk or so to French Quarters but if you can stand that this is a great option for your New Orleans stay. Don't forget to visit the WWII museum just a couple of blocks from the hotel.

It might be good to know that the hotel was called "Hotel New Orleans" before it became a Hyatt. Not all cab drivers are aware of the change yet.

Room Tip: The breakfast buffet is served on the 3rd floor so it can be a bit crowded in the mornings. Try to g...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johan P
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center

Reviewed August 30, 2012

An upscale feel. Very modern and attractively decorated. The food was excellent and the property was conveniently located. Clean and well-maintained. I would return to this property if I were in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank river280
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It's a very nice an clean hotel when u arrive they have this perfume smell coming from d inside, lounge area was very nice there is a bar area also with a few tables in d corner ok to get the elevator to move u must use your key card then press your number this is a great feature to keep out unwanted guest. We stayed in room 708 a corner room next to a exit when entering room there is a closet area then around d corner a bath then lounge area then a bed with a desk coffee maker,freeze in cabinet,free Wifi nice flat screen beautiful view of other buildings. A bit of a walk if u are headed for Bourbon are Frenchmen Street but u could always catch a cab are pedicab not to expensive we paid 10$! for pedicab for 4 blocks staff was very friendly an recommended parking next door which was $10 cheaper! Bed was plenty big an comfy enough for 6 so my overall opinion was I would return!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank D_Smith11
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend. Located just outside the French Quarter. Rooms were nice and clean. Hot shower, comfy bed. Breakfast could have been better. Located in between the garden district and Canal street. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank grays2001
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family of four went down last weekend to enjoy the zoo. This hotel provided an excellent location since we did not want to be in the canal street/quarter area but was still an easy walk to those areas. The hotel is only a few months old so everything was new and clean!

The free breakfast was great and a bonus we were not expecting. One suggestion would be for the hotel to staff more than one attendant to the dining room. The lone worker was doing a good job but was overwhelmed around 9:30.

Also self parking is only $20 which seems like a bargain when parking downtown.

Room Tip: Corner room was very large!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank OleMissTravel
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I've stayed all over the city in New orleans, from the CBD, to the Garden District and all over the quarter.
This hotel, though not fancy or near anything but the convention center and the Riverwalk, is a great choice for the budget conscious traveller. The two rooms I booked were spacious, well laid out and very clean. They were quiet, and the beds were comfortable. The AC worked perfectly once we figured out the various fan speeds. Reading some of the negative posts about this hotel I suppose it can be hit and miss, but our stay was wonderful. Our last visit was at the Omni in the quarter and it was nearly three times the price. As much as I love hotels like the Ritz and the Omni, they are not worth the price difference. As long as you don't mind a hotel that is not full service, this is a great place to stay in New Orleans. Just a short block and a half to a corner grocer. 2 blocks to the Riverwalk entrance and 5 or six blocks (easy walking) to the casino, and one of my favorite restaurants in the city, Drago's. I wouldn't stay here on a honeymoon, but for business or a family trip, I'd definitely stay here again.
As to the 'free breakfast', I never bothered with it so I have no comment on it's quality. But I certainly didn't book this hotel expecting the best breakfast in the city. In fact, I didn't book it expecting breakfast at all.

Room Tip: Ask for one off the main floor as cars are parked all around the hotel and the sound of car doors op...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank samjust08
Reviewed August 5, 2012

When we read reviews most seemed okay. We received a good room rate and thought we would give Hyatt a try. Don't think we will be staying with Hyatt again. Room was not ready when arriving. Room key didn't work. Bathroom had not been cleaned. (That is a BIG problem with me when black hair is all over the floor and shower). Toiletries had not been restocked. Room was at 77 degrees. Outside temp was 95 with heat index of 105. Had trouble with refrigerator but my husband was able to get it to finally work. Breakfast was a joke. With the pictures Hyatt shows of the skillets, etc on there site it looked really good. We tried 2 mornings at different times and still no food. Very poor selection. It was the worst "Continental Breakfast" we have ever had. We ended up having to go out and buy breakfast. So much for the "FREE" Continental breakfast. Vallet was very slow. It was also $29.00 plus tax. I know everything is taxed but still think they should give you the full price when asking how much is vallet. I think it would have been faster and cheaper to park at garage right next door. Room decor is nice. Also need to ask for a corner room. Breakfast is on 3rd floor and we were on the 6th floor and good hear all the noise.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelBees_3
HPNO_GM, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking time to complete a posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Place New Orleans Convention. It was truly disheartening to hear of your dissatisfaction while you were our guest. Please accept my apology for the disappointment and the inconveniences you experienced with your room, breakfast, and valet services during your stay at Hyatt Place New Orleans.

Please be assured that I will be following up with the housekeeping and gallery management team in an effort to address your bathroom cleanliness, breakfast service, and valet experiences. It is completely unacceptable and should have been clean properly, as well as provided a full AM Skillet buffet. I am confident that the hotel staff will work harder than ever to prevent a future recurrence, and provide the superior service that is indicative of Hyatt. I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to evaluate your recent experience.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel soon and show you we can do better! If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 504-571-7710.

Tony Welch