“Great rooms, friendly service, right price”

Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center
Ranked #53 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend. Located just outside the French Quarter. Rooms were nice and clean. Hot shower, comfy bed. Breakfast could have been better. Located in between the garden district and Canal street. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank grays2001
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family of four went down last weekend to enjoy the zoo. This hotel provided an excellent location since we did not want to be in the canal street/quarter area but was still an easy walk to those areas. The hotel is only a few months old so everything was new and clean!

The free breakfast was great and a bonus we were not expecting. One suggestion would be for the hotel to staff more than one attendant to the dining room. The lone worker was doing a good job but was overwhelmed around 9:30.

Also self parking is only $20 which seems like a bargain when parking downtown.

Room Tip: Corner room was very large!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank OleMissTravel
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I've stayed all over the city in New orleans, from the CBD, to the Garden District and all over the quarter.
This hotel, though not fancy or near anything but the convention center and the Riverwalk, is a great choice for the budget conscious traveller. The two rooms I booked were spacious, well laid out and very clean. They were quiet, and the beds were comfortable. The AC worked perfectly once we figured out the various fan speeds. Reading some of the negative posts about this hotel I suppose it can be hit and miss, but our stay was wonderful. Our last visit was at the Omni in the quarter and it was nearly three times the price. As much as I love hotels like the Ritz and the Omni, they are not worth the price difference. As long as you don't mind a hotel that is not full service, this is a great place to stay in New Orleans. Just a short block and a half to a corner grocer. 2 blocks to the Riverwalk entrance and 5 or six blocks (easy walking) to the casino, and one of my favorite restaurants in the city, Drago's. I wouldn't stay here on a honeymoon, but for business or a family trip, I'd definitely stay here again.
As to the 'free breakfast', I never bothered with it so I have no comment on it's quality. But I certainly didn't book this hotel expecting the best breakfast in the city. In fact, I didn't book it expecting breakfast at all.

Room Tip: Ask for one off the main floor as cars are parked all around the hotel and the sound of car doors op...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank samjust08
Reviewed August 5, 2012

When we read reviews most seemed okay. We received a good room rate and thought we would give Hyatt a try. Don't think we will be staying with Hyatt again. Room was not ready when arriving. Room key didn't work. Bathroom had not been cleaned. (That is a BIG problem with me when black hair is all over the floor and shower). Toiletries had not been restocked. Room was at 77 degrees. Outside temp was 95 with heat index of 105. Had trouble with refrigerator but my husband was able to get it to finally work. Breakfast was a joke. With the pictures Hyatt shows of the skillets, etc on there site it looked really good. We tried 2 mornings at different times and still no food. Very poor selection. It was the worst "Continental Breakfast" we have ever had. We ended up having to go out and buy breakfast. So much for the "FREE" Continental breakfast. Vallet was very slow. It was also $29.00 plus tax. I know everything is taxed but still think they should give you the full price when asking how much is vallet. I think it would have been faster and cheaper to park at garage right next door. Room decor is nice. Also need to ask for a corner room. Breakfast is on 3rd floor and we were on the 6th floor and good hear all the noise.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelBees_3
HPNO_GM, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking time to complete a posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Place New Orleans Convention. It was truly disheartening to hear of your dissatisfaction while you were our guest. Please accept my apology for the disappointment and the inconveniences you experienced with your room, breakfast, and valet services during your stay at Hyatt Place New Orleans.

Please be assured that I will be following up with the housekeeping and gallery management team in an effort to address your bathroom cleanliness, breakfast service, and valet experiences. It is completely unacceptable and should have been clean properly, as well as provided a full AM Skillet buffet. I am confident that the hotel staff will work harder than ever to prevent a future recurrence, and provide the superior service that is indicative of Hyatt. I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to evaluate your recent experience.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel soon and show you we can do better! If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 504-571-7710.

Tony Welch

Reviewed July 29, 2012

WOW where to begin. I do agree the appointments in the lobby and rooms ARE nice and contemporary, but the mouse trap in the room does deter from the atmosphere some. I had gone out to dinner and brought home some waters and Gatorade so I could place them in the fridge in the room, it did not work engineering simply said nothing they could do and it was the 4th one he saw broke this week! He removed it and did not bother to replace it. The safe did not lock, it kept giving me an error I thought it was low battery but it was not. Worked all day long at a convetion got back after 4 tired... room was not clean... Sigh.. long day. Here on business, booked through Southwest website so room is pre paid and I will be staying. I will leave on a positive note the staff in the lobby and front desk are actually quite nice. I think a previou review summed it up SO many other choices here in New Orelans.

Room Tip: check to make sure you are not in a suite my room has an outer door that opens into a lobby of 2 roo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Bmanrph
HPNO_GM, General Manager at Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for taking time to make us aware of your experience. Please accept my sincere apology for issues that you experienced at our hotel. I assure you that this isn’t the norm and would love the opportunity to speak with you to make sure these concerns are properly addressed.

I was glad to see that you experienced pleasant interactions with our gallery team. We are reviewing your comments with our engineering and housekeeping team to ensure that we improve and prevent experiences of this nature in the future.

I look forward to speaking with you directly and can be reached at 504-571-7710.

Tony Welch

Reviewed July 24, 2012

In my stay the hotel was just finishing their reform, and the rooms was prety good. All new and clean.
Staff was great, and the breakfast was yummy.

The location is good, very near the River Walk marketplace and a 20 minutes walk to the French Quarter.

Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Brunatv
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel is in excellent condition and beautifully decorated in a contemporary style. Rooms have refrigerators, big-screen TV, and double window coverings that can completely block out light or allow light while still permitting privacy. I noticed no street noise. The only view is of the Convention Center. Our room had an L-shaped sofa with ottoman that could make a good sleeping area for a child. Security is outstanding. Room key is needed in order to operate elevator. The complimentary breakfast is served until 9:30 and is nothing short of fabulous. It is served in a large atrium area on the third floor, so the area is visible from floors three through the top floor. Valet parking or parking lot down the block are available but, as all hotel parking, both are expensive. We used a parking meter spot on the street when we were there, and our car was safe. Parking meters spots are free between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m., and can be fed (only once per spot) from your iPhone via a system that I'm sure the hotel personnel can explain to you. The system will actually send you a message to notify you that you need to feed the meter in five minutes. This is especially nice if you're in and out of the hotel multiple times and don't want to wait for your car to be brought around. Wi-Fi was simple to set up and worked reliably for the entire three days.

Room Tip: Most rooms open onto the hallway in the traditional way. If your family requires two rooms and you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business