“Renovator / Filmmaker”

Ranked #77 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Attending the KBIS show in New Orleans was a last minute effort and we were very pleased how easy it was to book things so last minute. Mind you Delta Airlines really dropped the ball having us wait over 3 hours when it was supposed to be 55 minutes. It was great to finally get into a comfy bed after that ordeal.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Renovator/Filmmaker,

Thank you for the very nice review and the team enjoyed having you here. It is good to know that we were able to help turn a bad situation into a good one and I will share your comment with the team. As I stated we certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Have a great summer and we will see you soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Check in was easy though the staff was not over friendly. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was expensive but very good. Amazing views of the river. Right next to the Riverwalk mall and the convention center (which is were we needed to be). Very large hotel..many guest had to walk to the next building to get in there rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Tonya213,

Thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans destination. We certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Please accept our apologies for any team members who seemed indifferent to you during your stay. It is our corporate mission to make every guest feel cared for, valued and respected and you can be assured that we will discuss your comments in our next Staff meeting. We value your business and we hope that you give us another opportunity to win back your trust.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hotel was great! I didn't have to pay as this was for business, traveling with my bosses, so I honestly don't know what the price tag was but overall it was a good experience.
Location is excellent, walking distance of a lot of great restaurants. Right by the water.
Lots of walking can be done indoors even. Large lobby area with many different areas for seating, great coffee shop. Service was great in all aspects of the hotel.
Some of our rooms were tired, could use an update, but definitely not horrible.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Jessica P,

On behalf of our team, we would like to say thank for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and the team certainly enjoyed having you here. Although you were here on business, we hope your next stay with us will be all pleasure and no work. New Orleans is a fun destination all year around . If the team can help you plan your next New Orleans vacation, give us a call and we will be happy to help you plan a fun and a relaxing visit. Have a great summer!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The hotel itself is nice enough, but parking was a pain: the elevator in the self park garage doesn't go to the ground level, so luggage has to be carried down steps. The door into the hotel from the garage is not automatic, and there's no one to help with it, so you have to juggle luggage to open the door. We were traveling with a canoe in the back; they didn't think the valet parking was secure enough to park the car in it since the back was open. the restaurant was mediocre and expensive. In general, it wasn't worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Nedra W,

Thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans destination. Our apologies for the parking issues you encountered and your comments have been shared with the Valet Parking team. As a CBD hotel, our complex is made up of several buildings including multiple parking facilities. Unfortunately all of the edifices are not seamlessly connected. Our Valet Parking option is a fully secured operation however when travelling with boats or other recreational equipment I would recommend that you contact the lodging accommodation ahead of time to find out what type of parking options will be available for your needs. Your comments have been taken in to consideration and our team looks forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

It's hard to decide about the Hilton Riverside. It seems that whenever I begin to think it's the perfect place to stay in New Orleans, I encounter some bit of negligence or thoughtlessness on the part of the hotel staff that goes a long way toward ruining my day or night. But then whenever I'm about to give up, nice things happen that remind me why I liked the hotel in the first place.

First the bad news: the Riverside Hilton is an enormous hotel, often full to the brim with conference-goers and/or French Quarter revelers. When it's anywhere near full the lobby feels like a stadium, the lines at the front desk are way too long, and it's impossible to find a place to sit in the executive lounge. Hilton Honors members should also know that the Gold/Diamond reception desk is often closed on evenings and weekends. But the worst problem is that staff quality is extremely variable: I've dealt with some staff members who are capable, diligent, and courteous and with others who are rude, inept, and/or lazy.

But there's also lots of good news. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Many have beautiful views of the Mississippi River, the French Quarter, and/or other interesting parts of the city. And the hotel is wonderfully located at the foot of Poydras Street, right by the river and a pleasant five-minute walk to the French Quarter. The hotel is adjacent to the River Walk shopping center, which has lots of fun shops and a great food court. Especially important is that there's a branch of the Café du Monde. The River Walk branch is not nearly as atmospheric as the original location at the other end of the Quarter, but it has the same great beignets and café au lait as well as a pleasant view of the river. The Hilton is also across the street from Harrah's Casino and very near the Aquarium and the Algiers ferry.

During my most recent stay I experienced the good and the bad. I had a high-floor room with a great view of the river and the Mississippi River Bridge in the background. Unfortunately, and despite my request for a quiet room, I found myself surrounded on all sides by members of a group who clearly regarded "party" as a verb and who couldn't seem to go five minutes without convivial visits to each other's rooms. There was constant slamming of doors and lots of hooting and hollering. I had an early meeting the next morning, so I asked to move to a different room. The staff member with whom I dealt -- one of the good ones -- seemed to know a lot about who was staying where, and she moved me to a room between a couple of people whom she correctly predicted would not be noisy. If my initial request for a quiet room had generated this kind of careful attention, I would not have had to move.

The other problem I had was that in the rush to move out of my old room and into the new one I lost my glasses. I noticed this after a few hours and was virtually certain I had left them in the old room, but the hotel staff was unable and/or unwilling to do anything about it until the new occupants of the room had checked out. When I checked again the next day I was told simply that "housekeeping would have turned them in if they had found them". I tried a couple of follow-up calls and even an email, but the hotel clearly cared a lot less about finding the glasses than I did. It was my fault that I lost them in the first place, but it was frustrating not to be able to find anyone who seemed to care.

On balance, the Hilton is still on my list of good places to stay in New Orleans. It's beautiful and monumental, those river views are really something, and the hotel usually has a good feel to it. Noisy neighbors and sub-optimal customer service employees are something that can happen almost anywhere. But this would be a much better hotel if management would pay more attention to training staff in the rudiments of customer service: unfailing courtesy and relentless attention to detail.

Room Tip: The river views from the high floors are spectacular. You might want to request a River/French Quar...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

AssimilatedCajun,

On behalf of our management and staff we would like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for your continued patronage. We are disappointed to learn of the staff challeneges you encountered as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected which is our brand promise. Our guests' statisfaction is our main priority and we can assure you that you comments will be taken into consideration so that we can find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a conference where the check-in lady couldn't have been less interested. Clean but tired room, and no minibar (it's nice to have options). Wouldn't stay there again; there must be something better in the fun city of New Orleans

• Stayed: April 2013

Matthew W,

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing us a your New Orleans destination. We very much appreciate your business. Please accept our apologies for the check in issues you encountered. We can assure you that we will take your comments into our next Front Desk meeting for discussion and for follow up. It is our hope that you will consider us again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. We know the value of your business and we will certainly work hard to regain your trust and confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was a very nice room, albeit, the view which overlooked a roof top. However, we were there to party in the French Quarter so the room view was immaterial to us. The accomodations were very nice but came with a $300+ per night price tag. The room was nicely finished and very clean. I love staying at hotels with a large lobby and a lot of action in the lobby all day long. This place fit the bill. It is not one of those little boutique places, so if that is your game try another place. I will return here on our next trip since I know it now, and I would not take a chance on another place at $300 per night. I always repeat if I am happy, and I was very happy here.

Room Tip: The "in-house" restaurant has good food but is a bit pricey. Breakfast cost us $45 (for 2...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Onceinawhile31,

Thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans destination. The team certainly enjoyed having you here and we all look forward to your next visit. It sounds as though you were here during a busy time however we do have some seasonal packages that you may be interested in for a future stay. Please contact our Reservations team for a vacation package that may fit your specific needs. Your very nice review has been shared with the team and we thank you!