“Substandard Hilton”

GreenLeadersGold level
franklin, ky
“Substandard Hilton”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is the first time I stayed at a Hilton property and quite frankly this hotel did not live up to the standards of what Conrad Hilton would have in mind. There is picture of him & his son Barron right there in the lobby.
Here is why I am giving this hotel a lousy review. First upon check in I was not offered even a bottle of water. The check in was....bland no greetings no nothing. When I got to my floor there was a maid cleaning some rooms so I asked her if I could get a bottle of water she told me that water is only given to VIP guests and obviously I was not one so I was told to go to the vending machine. Which I did.

I have taken some pictures of the room and the dark spot on the shower curtain was definitely some "excrement". You be the judge of what you think that is.

The hotel is obviously old was opened in 1977 the pictures of the drawers as you can see are worn down and needs to be "patched" or replaced, the worse part is the dust between the drawers I put my fingers between them and as you can see it has not been dusted for days or maybe even months.

I also took a picture of the little overhead light fixture on the guest elevators and as you all can see it looks like nobody has cleaned them for a while.

They have a fitness center but when I went to the front desk to use it they said I had to pay an extra $16 per day to use it. Really!! Whats the point of having a fitness center and asking guests to pay for it. A better thing would be to include in the price when quoting guests.

I liked New Orleans but I will not stay at this hotel there are others that are little more pricey but worth a shot.

Room Tip: I stayed in 1103 so it was quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FRNKY
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. I am especially disappointed your shower curtain was not cleaned properly and that you did not receive the excellent welcome our guests deserve. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel and have a pleasant stay. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stayed at many of the major hotels in New Orleans but the Hilton Riverside is my favorite for Mardi Gras. Many hotels struggle during large event weekends but the Hilton does a great job. The hotel staff is super nice and helpful plus Drago's is downstairs and has take out!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
JM,

Happy to hear that you all enjoyed Mardi Gras 2013! What a great time to be in New Orleans.
Thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My family and I stayed at the New Orleans Riverside Hilton February 7 through February 11, it was a wonderful experience! The hotel staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms are tasteful and CLEAN. An overall perfect experience.

Room Tip: Great Location!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
DeniseRagan,

Thank you for the very nice review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team enjoyed having you here. We certainly look forward to your next visit and our Reservations and Concierge teams will be happy to assist you in planning that next stay.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for a conference next door, thought the proximity would be worth the extra cost. Turns out it wasn't that close or convenient after all, partly because of the construction work directly adjacent, also because the size of the conference centre means you could stay a few blocks in either direction and have the same sweaty walk.

Internet costs an arm and a leg, for each device. For conference / business travel this is really annoying (someone else isn't always picking up the tab).

The final insult was turning up to the gym to find out that they want you to pay for that too!? Really got pissed off at that point. Is it a hotel or what?

If you have a conference, do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else... (the "cheaper" hilton suites have comp wifi, gym.... don't know why the main hilton hotels keep letting themselves down)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ScruffyH399
ScruffyH399,

Frist of all thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. We aplogize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We were disappointed to hear that you had some issues at our hotel and we are to hear that you found our hotel to be inconveniently located to your points of interest. We can assure you that our main priority is for our guests to have an exceptional stay. We are always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests expirience and will keep your review in mind. Thank you for your feedback and we invite you back to stay with us next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions. This time I booked a Deluxe room and was placed in building 1 (tower). The Room was prepaid however Hilton had charged me a higher rate than what I booked it at on an alternate website. The gentleman at checkout placed a refund for the difference very quickly. I would recommend they have more front desk staff and bell hops during checking for such a large event. The line was very long and it appeared to around a shift change. There was only one bell hop holding luggage for guest as rooms were not ready even at the 3 or 4 pm checking time. Luggage was all over the place not secure and no way for only 1 person to watch. As I stated I booked a deluxe room but I am not sure what made it deluxe other than having a microwave and mini fridge. Otherwise the room was okay. It did have a good river view. Hotel confidently located on the river and within walking distance to most attractions as well as buses and trolley cars.

jjones4180,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appeciate hearing from our guests -including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I see that you had some inconveniences while staying with us and we thank you for bring these matters to our attention. Your feedback is very important to us and your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel. Again, we thank you very much for your review and we hope that you consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had a great stay at the Hilton for Mardi Gras. Even though the hotel was extremely busy, everyone was still friendly and efficient. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Eating Charbroiled oyster at Drago's is the best. This hotel is in the middle of everything and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on Riverside near a courtyard. Very quiet and easily accessible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
jstOne,

Thank you for the great review and we certainly enjoyed having you here. I have shared your nice comments with the Drago's team and all were most appreciative. The team, here, looks forward to seeing you again next time you are back in New Orleans.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were very happy for many reasons with this hotel. First, they were very understanding that we could not make it the day of our reservations due to weather. Second, we were upgraded to the executive floor with free Internet and breakfast. It was also nice, during the day, to go to the executive lounge for hot tea, soda or whatever. They even had pralines, to which my husband is now addicted.

The room was large and well appointed, although not the best I have seen in NOLA but it was clean and quiet and comfortable.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Voyageurmonde19,

It is great to hear that you both enjoyed your Mardi Gras time here. We enjoyed having you both here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. While Mardi Gras is a fun time don't forget our Festival Season in April and May when the city hosts our famous Cultural and Heritage festivals. One that is always enjoyed is the French Quarter Festival - a weekend of fun, music and of course a "Taste of New Orleans" when all of our many famous restaurants participate. Let us me know next time you will be here and I will ensure the Chef prepares some Pralines for you and your husband to enjoy.