“Hilton Riverside - Nothing Special” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Ranked #76 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hilton Riverside - Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Hilton Riverside is conveniently located down the street from the convention center, across the street from the casino, and an easy walk to the debauchery of Bourbon Street. It provided a suitable place to crash, but for $259 + taxes per night (discounted rate) I think I was expecting quite a bit more. I was on a solo trip, and that was good, because my wife would not have wanted to stay here. My room seemed well-worn as though it had lived through more than its share of Mardi Gras revelry. My room was also near the elevators - try to avoid that because people stumble in rather conspicuously at all hours. I was on a non-smoking floor, but when I climbed into bed I found that I had to throw two of the pillows onto the floor because they had soaked up a very considerable smoke smell. I can't think of a single aspect of my stay at this hotel that I noticed as being special. Nothing horrendous, but nothing special. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators which can be noisy. You may request city view or Mississippi Rive...
1 Thank O-Zone_Traveler
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
O_Zone_Traveler,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. It sounds as though you were here before our rooms renovation project was complete. I am happy to say we have completed our summer long project and we are very excited about the new rooms we are now offering our guests. We certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again soon.

The best of the upcomng Holidy Season to you and to your family.

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Not sure about all the bad reviews in the past (this made me a little skeptical about booking this hotel), I enjoyed staying here at the Hilton Riverside.

My boyfriend had a medical conference here over the past weekend and this was close to the conference center and the French Quarter, so he could get there fast and I could shop to kill some time. We arrived rather early from NY and had to wait until 12:30 to get into our room but it was nice that they did expedite this and give us a room with a view of the river. We stayed on the 19th floor near the elevator... I would suggest asking for a room further down as we heard a lot of commotion in the hall ways at times.

Had to request extra towels and bath products as there were only a couple in the bathroom, within 15 minutes a nice gentleman came in with a bag full and a tower of towels for me, very nice help and fast response from the front desk.

I don't really like that the fan turned on with the light in the bathroom, there wasn't a separate switch and it was kind of loud, but I guess that is me being rather picky. Another thing was our room did not get cleaned on the first night, so we had to call around 7pm to let them know and to have someone come in and clean it while we were at dinner. Also, fast response from housekeeping and there was a woman there within an hour to come in and clean the room. The next day it was done by mid afternoon.

Concierge desk was very helpful with finding nice places to eat brunch, bell desk also very nice with holding our baggage while we waited for our room to be ready. Everyone that helped us was very pleasant to deal with.

Overall this is a very nice location if you are in New Orleans for a conference and want access to malls, French Quarter and the French Market. We went for a run along the river one day and it was gorgeous. The rooms were also fairly new looking to us although the elevators looked slightly worn, the one in the middle offers a glass view of New Orleans so it's fun to use that one if it opens, especially at night.

Room Tip: Away from elevators, higher floors, river view
Jenna F,

Glad to hear that your New Orleans vacation was a pleasurable one. I have shared your nice comments with the team and everyone was most appreciative. Hopefully next time you both can come back for some well deserved R&R time and enjoy all that New Orleans has to offer. Whether it is a night of Jazz music, a Creole Dinner or a slow boatride along the Mississippi our Concierge team will be happy to help you plan your next stay with us.

Swansea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Walking distance to the french quarter, Bourbon Street and fabulous shopping. The Riverwalk Marketplace is right next door and another great place to visit. The hotel was very clean and everyone was very pleasant. The rooms were great, beds super comfy. Would definately go again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Debbie D,

Thank you for the very nice review. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Don't forget us when you begin making your New Year's Eve plans. New Orleans hosts a wonderful NYE Party and we would certainly enjoy ringing in 2013 with you here.

Carbondale, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

For the price of an executive club room, I was surprised to find that there was a twelve dollar per day additional fee to use the gym facility. Also, I have been to many executive clubs all over the world and most of them have an open bar during happy hour. The hilton riverside has a cash bar and pitiful selection of appetizers.
Great proximity to the convention center, French quarter, ferry, and street car lines.
Room is clean and comfortable.
I was charged twice for the room on two different credit cards which was annoying but got resolved.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank docxo
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. As a Hilton HHonors Diamond, Gold or Silver member access into our Health Club is complimentary as protocol with the HHonors program and our apologies if this information was not passed on to you. Hopefully you did have an opportunity to enjoy our Health Club by Hilton. We are very proud to offer our guests our 90,000sq ft facility. Non member fees to use the Club are comparable to most Health Clubs both locally and nationally. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Executive Office
Hilton New Orleans Riverside.
Laurel, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Riverside in New Orleans. The hotel is very modern and updated. Rooms are spacious and I was in one of the updated rooms. Service was good. The views of the river and the city are awesome.

I didn't use wifi, but I heard that there were some issues with the service from other conference goers.

The conference facilities were excellent. I enjoyed dining at Drago's for lunch and the other restuarant for breakfast. The hotel and facilities are very large and you can find everything you need without ever leaving the hotel

The hotel is close to the French Quaters, connects to Riverwalk Mall, across the street from the casino.

I stayed on the 21st floor, but had to moved (I decided to stay longer) to the 10th floor. Loved the rooms on the end that over looked both the river and the city views.

Room Tip: Stay on one of the upper floors for the best views or ask for a room with both river and city views.
Crystel H,

Thank you for the very nice review of the hotel. We certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

pomona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is ideally situated within easy walking distance to the Quarter, the Riverwalk, and street cars. We shared a suite with another family and it was beautiful. All of the staff were very accommodating and the food in the bar is not to be missed....especially the mussels. They are so excellent!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
robbie1,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again soon. Don't forget us when you are making your New Year's Eve plans. New Orleans hosts an awesome NYE party and it would be fun ringing in 2013 with you here.

dc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was at the hotel for 6 days for a convention. The first day, wifi access went down for all the rooms, and it remained off for over 24 hours. It had something to do with the billing server (more on that below). The hotel set up expanded wifi in the lobby during the room outage, but no general annoucement was made about it and I had to discover it through repeated phone calls. After it was restored, I noticed that the wifi in my room on the 26th floor only had "poor" wifi stength. My connection was slow for the rest of the week, even though I paid for premium service, and I had to repeatedly log myself on and off, repeatedly answering questions about my long HHhonors number, room number, etc.

But what is really irritating is the whole hilton internet billing philosophy and implementation. When you log on, you are offered the option of complimentary Hhonors internet access or to bill your room for 14.99 per day for premium access. The Hhonors option is actually a scam, since I was billed on checkout even though I am in the Hhonors program. At checkout I was told you need to be at the diamond level for free internet (they said they would have given me a secret code) - but the internet billing screen doesn't say this. Bate and switch like that is probably illegal and I would have fought it on checkout if I wasn't in a hurry. Just as bad, the access is for a single device. Hilton - wake up. These days, everyone has a smart phone, plus a laptop, and maybe even an ipad or ereader that needs occasional access. My wife was there with her own phone and computer, and that raised our total number of devices to 5. We are not internet junkies - we need to conduct business and get our email. Are we seriously expected to pay $75/day for wifi access? We were told that there was free wifi in the executive lounge (access to the lounge costs $50/day), but sometimes the log on screen asked for money and sometimes it didn't when I tried it. I had to wait until I got to the airport (for free internet) to download a book to my ipad. And all of these repeated login failures, filling out billing screens, and just total frustration had to do with the billing system. I also had some frustrating internet troubles in the last hilton I stayed at, also related to billing. Either make the billing system painless, fair, and applicable to all your devices, or just implement free internet, which is what you should really do.

The executive lounge is just ok. The breakfast is continental, nothing special. The happy hour has free snacks, nothing special, but the drink prices are high. I typically ordered a glass of white wine, which was $12, and then I found out my last day that I could get a glass of house white wine in the restaurant bar attached to the lobby for $4.50. I guess the high wine prices paid for the snacks. On the positive side, the hotel is convenient to the convention center, the staff were friendly, and the room was clean.

I don't understand where hilton is trying to position itself. The internet service and lounge can't compete wtih other 5 star hotels. And the 3 star budget hotels have free internet and fewer frustrations.

Room Tip: if you are there with your family and have small kids, they have rooms with 2 queen beds.
2 Thank biztravdc
biztravdc,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. We certainly enjoyed having both here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Our apologies for the HSIA interuption. Unfortunately the system went down late afternoon and a new server had to be flown in the following day to complete the repairs. I can assure you that our IT management team along with ATT&T our service provider worked late into to the evening trying to complete the repairs. Rates for HSIA here at our hotel are comparable to other convention hotels in our competitor set both locally and nationally. To ensure that our guests are paying fair market price for this service we do conduct bi annual surveys here in New Orleans as well as in all major convention markets to ensure our rates are competitive. As an HHonors Diamond or Gold member you are entitled to complimentary HSIA at all Hilton Worldwide hotels.

The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.