“Overpriced. Executive club a joke.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Ranked #76 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
Carbondale, Illinois
“Overpriced. Executive club a joke.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

For the price of an executive club room, I was surprised to find that there was a twelve dollar per day additional fee to use the gym facility. Also, I have been to many executive clubs all over the world and most of them have an open bar during happy hour. The hilton riverside has a cash bar and pitiful selection of appetizers.
Great proximity to the convention center, French quarter, ferry, and street car lines.
Room is clean and comfortable.
I was charged twice for the room on two different credit cards which was annoying but got resolved.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank docxo
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. As a Hilton HHonors Diamond, Gold or Silver member access into our Health Club is complimentary as protocol with the HHonors program and our apologies if this information was not passed on to you. Hopefully you did have an opportunity to enjoy our Health Club by Hilton. We are very proud to offer our guests our 90,000sq ft facility. Non member fees to use the Club are comparable to most Health Clubs both locally and nationally. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

Executive Office
Hilton New Orleans Riverside.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Laurel, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Riverside in New Orleans. The hotel is very modern and updated. Rooms are spacious and I was in one of the updated rooms. Service was good. The views of the river and the city are awesome.

I didn't use wifi, but I heard that there were some issues with the service from other conference goers.

The conference facilities were excellent. I enjoyed dining at Drago's for lunch and the other restuarant for breakfast. The hotel and facilities are very large and you can find everything you need without ever leaving the hotel

The hotel is close to the French Quaters, connects to Riverwalk Mall, across the street from the casino.

I stayed on the 21st floor, but had to moved (I decided to stay longer) to the 10th floor. Loved the rooms on the end that over looked both the river and the city views.

Room Tip: Stay on one of the upper floors for the best views or ask for a room with both river and city views.
Crystel H,

Thank you for the very nice review of the hotel. We certainly enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans.

The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family!

pomona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is ideally situated within easy walking distance to the Quarter, the Riverwalk, and street cars. We shared a suite with another family and it was beautiful. All of the staff were very accommodating and the food in the bar is not to be missed....especially the mussels. They are so excellent!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
robbie1,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again soon. Don't forget us when you are making your New Year's Eve plans. New Orleans hosts an awesome NYE party and it would be fun ringing in 2013 with you here.

dc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was at the hotel for 6 days for a convention. The first day, wifi access went down for all the rooms, and it remained off for over 24 hours. It had something to do with the billing server (more on that below). The hotel set up expanded wifi in the lobby during the room outage, but no general annoucement was made about it and I had to discover it through repeated phone calls. After it was restored, I noticed that the wifi in my room on the 26th floor only had "poor" wifi stength. My connection was slow for the rest of the week, even though I paid for premium service, and I had to repeatedly log myself on and off, repeatedly answering questions about my long HHhonors number, room number, etc.

But what is really irritating is the whole hilton internet billing philosophy and implementation. When you log on, you are offered the option of complimentary Hhonors internet access or to bill your room for 14.99 per day for premium access. The Hhonors option is actually a scam, since I was billed on checkout even though I am in the Hhonors program. At checkout I was told you need to be at the diamond level for free internet (they said they would have given me a secret code) - but the internet billing screen doesn't say this. Bate and switch like that is probably illegal and I would have fought it on checkout if I wasn't in a hurry. Just as bad, the access is for a single device. Hilton - wake up. These days, everyone has a smart phone, plus a laptop, and maybe even an ipad or ereader that needs occasional access. My wife was there with her own phone and computer, and that raised our total number of devices to 5. We are not internet junkies - we need to conduct business and get our email. Are we seriously expected to pay $75/day for wifi access? We were told that there was free wifi in the executive lounge (access to the lounge costs $50/day), but sometimes the log on screen asked for money and sometimes it didn't when I tried it. I had to wait until I got to the airport (for free internet) to download a book to my ipad. And all of these repeated login failures, filling out billing screens, and just total frustration had to do with the billing system. I also had some frustrating internet troubles in the last hilton I stayed at, also related to billing. Either make the billing system painless, fair, and applicable to all your devices, or just implement free internet, which is what you should really do.

The executive lounge is just ok. The breakfast is continental, nothing special. The happy hour has free snacks, nothing special, but the drink prices are high. I typically ordered a glass of white wine, which was $12, and then I found out my last day that I could get a glass of house white wine in the restaurant bar attached to the lobby for $4.50. I guess the high wine prices paid for the snacks. On the positive side, the hotel is convenient to the convention center, the staff were friendly, and the room was clean.

I don't understand where hilton is trying to position itself. The internet service and lounge can't compete wtih other 5 star hotels. And the 3 star budget hotels have free internet and fewer frustrations.

Room Tip: if you are there with your family and have small kids, they have rooms with 2 queen beds.
2 Thank biztravdc
biztravdc,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. We certainly enjoyed having both here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Our apologies for the HSIA interuption. Unfortunately the system went down late afternoon and a new server had to be flown in the following day to complete the repairs. I can assure you that our IT management team along with ATT&T our service provider worked late into to the evening trying to complete the repairs. Rates for HSIA here at our hotel are comparable to other convention hotels in our competitor set both locally and nationally. To ensure that our guests are paying fair market price for this service we do conduct bi annual surveys here in New Orleans as well as in all major convention markets to ensure our rates are competitive. As an HHonors Diamond or Gold member you are entitled to complimentary HSIA at all Hilton Worldwide hotels.

NA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

The location is certainly fantastic...easy walk to convention center or French Quarter. I checked in on a Thursday night...and waited 20 min in line. There was no one manning the HHonors expedited check in desk. My room was in Bldg 2, which is the older portion of the hotel. The room, was fine, if a bit dated. Slept here one night. When I returned to my room after a late dinner on night #2, there were red ants swarming on my night table...and I found a few on the bed. (there was no open food or anything). Disgusting. Called down to the front desk and they were responsive. I went back down to the lobby (at 1130pm) and waited another 10 min in line to get my new room key. Super annoying. In my new room, the shower control faucet broke the first day I took a shower...and 2 days passed with no maid service. i also saw two roaches in the plant display by the escalators. Overall, this was the worst stay I have ever had at a Hilton and I would not return.

2 Thank Maria814
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review. We're very sorry that you experienced an undesireable stay with us. The problems you mentioned have been addressed and we apologize for these inconveniences. We have also addressed the issues with staffing levels at the Desk to ensure that we are as helpful as possible for our guests. We appreciate you alerting us to these issues and hope that you will give us a second chance if and when you return to the area.

Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel shows the brand well. Recent upgrades give it a clean modern feel. Valet service was exceptional. Second floor desk friendly. Concierge desk ok but distant. Breakfast in lounge is lackluster. Marriott has them beat hands down. With so many other hilton brands in the crecent city I would look elsewhere if the executive lounge matters to you as it does me. Hard truth..night snack advertised for 5:00 not out until 5:15, breakfast was hard boiled eggs, fruit and minimal pastry. Again not nearly what I expected. Sad to say I will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank texasrsg
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
texasrsg,

Thank you for your review and I have shared your comments with our team. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay however we look forward to an opportunity to have you back again soon. The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Riverside for work in New Orleans. The location is very convenient to some great restaurants, the highway, and just a few minute walk to the historic French Quarters.
My room on the 25th floor was very clean, and had a wonderful view of New Orleans.

The downside to this Hilton is that it is right next to the convention center so if you are in town for pleasure and not to attend a convention I would say stay away. The hallways are crowded, the lobby is busy and the bar is packed with those attending conventions so if it's not your thing, there are other hotels in New Orleans that may better fit your visit.

Parking was a bit expensive, and my biggest problem with this property is that we had 4 boxes sent via fedex to the hotel before our arrival - - when we showed up, the packages were there but we were initially charged $220 dollars just to pick them up. (The hotel later granted a 50% discount.)

To sum it up, it's a good, clean, comfortable Hilton if you are in town for work. Just don't fedex anything there unless you are prepared to pay BIG.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view. Stay away from the elevators as it is a party city and they...
1 Thank Justin S
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Justin S,

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon. Lots of fun events planned here in New Orleans in early 2013 so if you are ready for some well deserved R&R this winter, give us a call and our Concierge and Reservations teams will be happy to help you plan a Mardi Gras 2013 vacation.

Best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Executive Office
Hilton New Orleans Riverside.