I was at the hotel for 6 days for a convention. The first day, wifi access went down for all the rooms, and it remained off for over 24 hours. It had something to do with the billing server (more on that below). The hotel set up expanded wifi in the lobby during the room outage, but no general annoucement was made about it and I had to discover it through repeated phone calls. After it was restored, I noticed that the wifi in my room on the 26th floor only had "poor" wifi stength. My connection was slow for the rest of the week, even though I paid for premium service, and I had to repeatedly log myself on and off, repeatedly answering questions about my long HHhonors number, room number, etc.
But what is really irritating is the whole hilton internet billing philosophy and implementation. When you log on, you are offered the option of complimentary Hhonors internet access or to bill your room for 14.99 per day for premium access. The Hhonors option is actually a scam, since I was billed on checkout even though I am in the Hhonors program. At checkout I was told you need to be at the diamond level for free internet (they said they would have given me a secret code) - but the internet billing screen doesn't say this. Bate and switch like that is probably illegal and I would have fought it on checkout if I wasn't in a hurry. Just as bad, the access is for a single device. Hilton - wake up. These days, everyone has a smart phone, plus a laptop, and maybe even an ipad or ereader that needs occasional access. My wife was there with her own phone and computer, and that raised our total number of devices to 5. We are not internet junkies - we need to conduct business and get our email. Are we seriously expected to pay $75/day for wifi access? We were told that there was free wifi in the executive lounge (access to the lounge costs $50/day), but sometimes the log on screen asked for money and sometimes it didn't when I tried it. I had to wait until I got to the airport (for free internet) to download a book to my ipad. And all of these repeated login failures, filling out billing screens, and just total frustration had to do with the billing system. I also had some frustrating internet troubles in the last hilton I stayed at, also related to billing. Either make the billing system painless, fair, and applicable to all your devices, or just implement free internet, which is what you should really do.
The executive lounge is just ok. The breakfast is continental, nothing special. The happy hour has free snacks, nothing special, but the drink prices are high. I typically ordered a glass of white wine, which was $12, and then I found out my last day that I could get a glass of house white wine in the restaurant bar attached to the lobby for $4.50. I guess the high wine prices paid for the snacks. On the positive side, the hotel is convenient to the convention center, the staff were friendly, and the room was clean.
I don't understand where hilton is trying to position itself. The internet service and lounge can't compete wtih other 5 star hotels. And the 3 star budget hotels have free internet and fewer frustrations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Visiting the Hilton New Orleans Hotel Riverside will not only bring back fond memories, but can open up new areas to explore in New Orleans, Louisiana. Enjoy the 90,000 sq. ft. Health Club by Hilton featuring tennis, racquetball, full weight training circuit, the Precor® cardio theater and more. Stimulate your palate within Drago's Seafood Restaurant, a New Orleans dining institution. Upgrade your accommodations to our exclusive Executive Level. Try your hand at Harrah's Casino or take in a round of golf at TPC Louisiana. New Orleans is still one of the world's most unique destinations and is at your doorstep when staying at the Hilton Riverside Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton New Orleans Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton New Orleans Riverside Hotel New Orleans
- Hilton Hotel New Orleans
- Hilton Riverside Hotel New Orleans
- Hilton Riverside New Orleans