“Loved it!!”

Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
Ranked #42 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed February 24, 2010

They really took care of us during Katrina clean-up. Thanks from the Corps of Engineers.

Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel because we were looking to share a two bedroom suite with another family during Mardi Gras season in order to save a little money. I was a little worried after reading tripadvisor's reviews, but the price and location was hard to beat.

The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating although most of the time it seemed they were flustered and overworked (it was Mardi Gras AND Superbowl weekend, so that might explain it). The rooms were worn, with old cabinets, closet doors that were off the runners, bath tubs with broken faucets (shower worked, but couldn't fill the tub), etc. Yet it was very nice to have a full-size kitchen and a large "family" room area, not to mention the free breakfast buffet and hot-tub/pool (the hot tub was not working one of the nights we were there, but was fixed in the morning). The cleaning staff did a pretty good job with what they had to work with, and one morning they lined up all the kids' stuffed animals perfectly across the bed. Very cute.

This hotel would work great for people interested in visiting musuems in the area...just one block from the WWII museum, art museums, AND the children's museum. It is about 8 blocks to the French Quarter, and we walked it a couple of times, but was a bit tiresome. Taking the trolleys would be a better idea to get to the Quarter.

The parades lined up right outside the hotel, and we had lots of fun hanging out watching the floats load up all their throws (sometimes they shared w/us!). It was only a couple of blocks to the parade route on St. Charles, so again, the location was ideal.

Street parking is free on the weekends and after reading earlier reviews, we decided to skip the paid parking and risk it...no problem and plenty of parking available, even on Super Bowl weekend. And, access to the highway and the garden distict was excellent...the back streets under the expressway get you into the Magazine St. district/garden districts with ease.

All in all, I would return to this hotel for the value and location. I would LOVE this hotel if Marriott would invest in improving its physical condition.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jammin11
Reviewed January 22, 2010

First appearance good. Close to convention center and the CBD in New Orleans.
After another business partner drove into town and parked in the "monitored and secure parking lot" with paying for it through the hotel... Car was broken into. Nothing more than a broken window and some coins from the interior. But still had to get a new window.
72 hours later, while having a company vehicle... Stolen from the parking lot. Flat out stolen, stripped, and dumped. While the lot was monitored the attendant was not in the location of the lot and conveniently not answering. Parking lot attendant company was available but never called me personally. Just the hotel.
Right now, still dealing with the fallout from insurance and the rest. But I feel that this was in the hands of the attendant on duty that night.
Assistant GM was available, but only for the day after the incident. After that, having asked for the individual, have not seen them again, nor heard from them. Also to find out there is no GM at the property currently. Still trying to hire I guess.
After many stays in New Orleans, this is the first time that anything has happened for myself to write a review. Staying in many places here for extended periods I now know which I shall choose.
For a Marriott, they did not recognize my status until the 2nd time I had to give them my account number. Staff was helpful when needed, but was lacking otherwise.
Room was o.k. It was what it was. A place to sleep.
However if I stay at another Marriott I will be searching for secure parking and on-site security.
Food for breakfast and "dinner" was o.k. Seemed to be quick and fast. Not standard from other Residence Inn's I have stayed at. Also it was apparent that they were there to do what it was they were to do. And nothing else.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank MGXTraveller
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The problem I had with this hotel was the cleanliness of the fabric furniture and the soiled sheets and blankets on the pull out couch.(yikes!!) We called the front desk about the dirty sheets and blankets. It took them over 2 hours to bring clean ones but told us that they had no more blankets.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I attended a convention at the New Orleans Convention Center, and this hotel was convenient, attractively priced, and comfortable. It was a short walk to the meeting, and I did not feel unsafe on the streets. There are a number of other hotels and restaurants in the area, and there is much more activity in the Warehouse district than there was in previous years.
Amenities are good, at this hotel. The pool was not busy and it was clean. The hot tub (spa) was hot and clean, as well. The laundry room was convenient and open 24 hours, and it was well cared for. There are computers in the lobby (which I did not use), and the free wireless connections for my laptop worked well. Breakfast included eggs and meat, porridge, waffles, yoghurt, fruit, and juice, and it was well managed. The room I had was a suite, and there was a sitting area and a disk to work at. The air conditioning was effective. The bed was comfortable, and the bed linen was clean.
I missed booking the last day of my stay, and when I added the day 3 weeks prior to arrival, was asked to pay an excessive amount to add on one day at the end. The attitude left me with a bad feeling, reminiscent of the old days in New Orleans, when the conventions motivated greed on the part of hotels and vendors. If you want a good rate -- book well in advance, and cover all of your bases.
On my first day, I was bitten on one arm. On day two and day 3, I had a few more bites, and I let the front desk know that I thought there were bedbugs in my room. I was told they would check the room (bedbugs are extremely difficult to find), but received no feedback, either while I was there, or from the survey information I filled out. After I left, I had no more bites, but itching for about a week. It is not an enormous problem, as bedbugs, I was informed, do not transmit human disease. The lack of attention to detail by the management in responding to my concern was disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Kidssleep
Reviewed September 8, 2009

If you are attending an event at the Convention Center, this is a three long-block walk. However, if I was on vacation, I would not stay here. It's about a mile to mile and a half from the center of the French Quarter. I would not walk it alone and caught a cab each time I went to the FQ. However, walking to the CC during the day was fine. This property is in an industrial area and there is basically nothing around it.

Probably the worst Residence Inn for afternoon happy hours...very chintzy considering the price you're paying. Breakfast is better. Rooms were fine except my closet sliding glass mirror was broken and had never been replaced. Would stay there again, but only if I had to go to CC.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank libertyva9
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights, booked through work to attend the SIGGRAPH Convention.

The room I stayed in was quite large, with a living room and kitchenette, it seems to be a typical Residence Inn setting. It felt like I was staying in an apartment. Everything was in good physical condition, no real complaints. But the internet connection, even though it was free, it was very very slow. It kind of felt like I was using an old dial-up modem most of the time.
They did serve a standard breakfast buffet and had a decent exercise room.

The staff was friendly and accommodating, no issues here.

The location was 2 to 3 blocks from the Convention Center, maybe a 12 minute walk. I was unable to book the Marriott across the street from the Convention Center, but that's ok. It was across the street from Emeril's and other restaurants so it was easy to find good food.

Overall, it was a good typical Residence Inn stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business