“Be Aware of Your Stay”

Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
Ranked #41 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 22, 2010

First appearance good. Close to convention center and the CBD in New Orleans.
After another business partner drove into town and parked in the "monitored and secure parking lot" with paying for it through the hotel... Car was broken into. Nothing more than a broken window and some coins from the interior. But still had to get a new window.
72 hours later, while having a company vehicle... Stolen from the parking lot. Flat out stolen, stripped, and dumped. While the lot was monitored the attendant was not in the location of the lot and conveniently not answering. Parking lot attendant company was available but never called me personally. Just the hotel.
Right now, still dealing with the fallout from insurance and the rest. But I feel that this was in the hands of the attendant on duty that night.
Assistant GM was available, but only for the day after the incident. After that, having asked for the individual, have not seen them again, nor heard from them. Also to find out there is no GM at the property currently. Still trying to hire I guess.
After many stays in New Orleans, this is the first time that anything has happened for myself to write a review. Staying in many places here for extended periods I now know which I shall choose.
For a Marriott, they did not recognize my status until the 2nd time I had to give them my account number. Staff was helpful when needed, but was lacking otherwise.
Room was o.k. It was what it was. A place to sleep.
However if I stay at another Marriott I will be searching for secure parking and on-site security.
Food for breakfast and "dinner" was o.k. Seemed to be quick and fast. Not standard from other Residence Inn's I have stayed at. Also it was apparent that they were there to do what it was they were to do. And nothing else.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank MGXTraveller

Reviewed January 3, 2010

The problem I had with this hotel was the cleanliness of the fabric furniture and the soiled sheets and blankets on the pull out couch.(yikes!!) We called the front desk about the dirty sheets and blankets. It took them over 2 hours to bring clean ones but told us that they had no more blankets.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I attended a convention at the New Orleans Convention Center, and this hotel was convenient, attractively priced, and comfortable. It was a short walk to the meeting, and I did not feel unsafe on the streets. There are a number of other hotels and restaurants in the area, and there is much more activity in the Warehouse district than there was in previous years.
Amenities are good, at this hotel. The pool was not busy and it was clean. The hot tub (spa) was hot and clean, as well. The laundry room was convenient and open 24 hours, and it was well cared for. There are computers in the lobby (which I did not use), and the free wireless connections for my laptop worked well. Breakfast included eggs and meat, porridge, waffles, yoghurt, fruit, and juice, and it was well managed. The room I had was a suite, and there was a sitting area and a disk to work at. The air conditioning was effective. The bed was comfortable, and the bed linen was clean.
I missed booking the last day of my stay, and when I added the day 3 weeks prior to arrival, was asked to pay an excessive amount to add on one day at the end. The attitude left me with a bad feeling, reminiscent of the old days in New Orleans, when the conventions motivated greed on the part of hotels and vendors. If you want a good rate -- book well in advance, and cover all of your bases.
On my first day, I was bitten on one arm. On day two and day 3, I had a few more bites, and I let the front desk know that I thought there were bedbugs in my room. I was told they would check the room (bedbugs are extremely difficult to find), but received no feedback, either while I was there, or from the survey information I filled out. After I left, I had no more bites, but itching for about a week. It is not an enormous problem, as bedbugs, I was informed, do not transmit human disease. The lack of attention to detail by the management in responding to my concern was disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Kidssleep
Reviewed September 8, 2009

If you are attending an event at the Convention Center, this is a three long-block walk. However, if I was on vacation, I would not stay here. It's about a mile to mile and a half from the center of the French Quarter. I would not walk it alone and caught a cab each time I went to the FQ. However, walking to the CC during the day was fine. This property is in an industrial area and there is basically nothing around it.

Probably the worst Residence Inn for afternoon happy hours...very chintzy considering the price you're paying. Breakfast is better. Rooms were fine except my closet sliding glass mirror was broken and had never been replaced. Would stay there again, but only if I had to go to CC.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank libertyva9
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights, booked through work to attend the SIGGRAPH Convention.

The room I stayed in was quite large, with a living room and kitchenette, it seems to be a typical Residence Inn setting. It felt like I was staying in an apartment. Everything was in good physical condition, no real complaints. But the internet connection, even though it was free, it was very very slow. It kind of felt like I was using an old dial-up modem most of the time.
They did serve a standard breakfast buffet and had a decent exercise room.

The staff was friendly and accommodating, no issues here.

The location was 2 to 3 blocks from the Convention Center, maybe a 12 minute walk. I was unable to book the Marriott across the street from the Convention Center, but that's ok. It was across the street from Emeril's and other restaurants so it was easy to find good food.

Overall, it was a good typical Residence Inn stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank msukevtrip
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Helpful staff, great breakfast, good value on rooms. Pleasant outside areas.

I was in New Orleans for a conference. This hotel was reasonably priced and convenient to the convention center. It's slightly worn; there were cigarette burns on some of the surfaces in my room. The staff here made the hotel worth a repeat visit. They went the extra mile to help.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank sfgardener
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I just spent 5 nights at this hotel for a conference. I was required to have a roommate so this set up is really great. The hotel is three blocks from the convention center so the location is good if that is what you need. It was about a $6/7 cab ride to the french quarter. We has a two bedroom suite with 1.5 baths. It's very dated, and seem just worn. There is no other way to describe it.

No wifi, TV's in each rooms all got different channels, and it backed up to a vacant building. I did feel safe as the Federal Marshals were staying there. There is free breakfast, and happy hour everynight. Free coffee to start the day is always a plus.

If you have a family and are on a budget this may meet your needs. There are many other nice hotels that are in the area. Leave this one off the list.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business