“OK, but could be better”

Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“OK, but could be better”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

So we went for New Year's so it was crowded, a lot of Alabama and Oklahoma fans, so with that in mind Hotel was noisy and crowded, but not due to hotel itself.

Pros:
1) Good location, quiet, close to good restaurants, 10 blocks from the never ending French Quarter partying.
2) Courteous staff, we had some issues due to crowding, towels came in late, lines at breakfast, but overall the staff handled those situations with patience and helped all people, not only us.

Cons:
1) Rooms a little old.
2) Parking expensive and crowded.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mandeville, LA
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend of December 27-28 in New Orleans because we were attending the NBA game downtown Friday night and we were attending a wedding in St. Louis Cathedral Saturday night. It was also my husband's birthday on Saturday so we were making a nice weekend of it. We had some free Marriott points so we decided to use them for this weekend. We live in a suburb of New Orleans so we do this quite often.

We checked in and received the one bedroom suite on the top floor as requested. The room was very clean and spacious and quiet. The first night there was very nice although you could hear some street noise below.

The next day was rainy so we had a nice lunch since it was my husband's birthday and we tried to go to the WWII Museum but it was extremely crowded. So we went back to the room at around 2:30 pm to rest and then get ready for the wedding. We walked downstairs at around 6:00 to the parking lot where the cars are parked for the hotel to go to the wedding and our Suburban was gone!! It had been stolen from the lot! Needless to say, we did not get to the wedding. We waited for the police and talked to the hotel operations manager, Spencer Howell, who did not help us much with the theft of our car! First of all, the hotel gives you a tag and tells you to self park your car in the lot across the street. It has no surveillance cameras or security watching your vehicle and it has no locked gate so anyone can enter it. The best part is they charge you $20 a day to self park your car. There is no secure parking at all for this hotel.

This is the only hotel that I know of that has no secure parking downtown and we have stayed at many. There is no posting of lock your doors or we are not responsible for lost items, etc. in the parking lot.

I live in a suburb of this city and crime is a big problem in New Orleans. The police officer who came kind of shrugged it off and gave me no reassurance that my vehicle would be found. The manager, Spencer, at the hotel offered only to supply us a free ride to the wedding! Well, after I told Spencer that we were not paying for parking at the hotel and that we would be leaving immediately and that I was a Tripadvisor reviewer, he then offered me my points back for the free night. I guess he should!! The front desk did not even know the phone number to the Director of Loss Prevention for Marriott!

I love my city but any tourists coming to New Orleans need to be extra careful. Don't be fooled by anyone telling you that you are in a safe area. That's one reason why I live in a suburb of the city. This is a tourist area and one tourist hearing our problem at the front desk switched his hotel because of my theft. I will not stay here again or at any hotel without a secure parking lot. My nice ten year old Suburban that we all took great family trips in and we swore never to sell is now gone to a criminal!! I am very heartbroken over this and am now very skeptical of even going to New Orleans in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mom-of-aj
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We got this property on Priceline. Great value for sure. Desk staff were helpful and knowledgable. Breakfast was hearty and plentiful. You could see many people from other parts of Louisiana were staying here, thus that's a good sign. Good location, 20 min walk to FQ. 2 or 3 blocks from good restaurants. (NOLA is expensive for food). Thanks to the staff for the pleasant stay. Close to the Children's museum, worth a visit for the toddlers. I felt safe walking around the area, I would give 5 stars if they had an airport shuttle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Monroe, Louisiana
Reviewed December 20, 2013

The staff was very courtesy, but was inept when asked for instructions on the location of my room and the location of the parking lot. The hotel has an unusual disjointed layout--the property appears to be a converted warehouse. After check-in, I had to exit the building, walk outdoors, cross a court yard and "enter" into a second semi-enclosed building to find my room. The sum total of the instructions I received from the front desk following check-in: "Go through that door and walk that way." A member of the cleaning staff that I encountered while negotiating the property kindly provided the essential instructions that I needed to reach my room.

Parking is located in two separate parking lots located in opposite directions from the hotel, not onsite, situated on one-way streets. If you arrive at night, visibility for entry into the parking lots is not good. The entrance for each parking lot is down the street from the hotel. You cannot see any identifying signage for the parking areas from the check-in area or front of the hotel. The instructions from the front desk following check-in on where to park: "You can park in the lot on that side of the hotel or that side of the hotel."

The property was clean but bland in styling and spartan in amenities, as compared to most other Residence Inns. The complimentary breakfast was very good. The internet connection was terrible and did not work most of the time in my room. The onsite store had few offerings for purchase.

I rate my stay at this hotel as poor because I received very little value in return for what I paid.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 63TimeTraveler
chennai. India
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Unlike other Marriott properties, this Hotel did not live up to expectations- specific to customer satisfaction. The hotel is laid out with a yard in the center and rooms in either side. The one that I stayed in Room119 was in the ground level (First floor in US terms), facing a side street. Room was awesome with two lovely bedrooms sharing a bathroom, an individual toilet in the passage leading to a living room with a kitchen. The WIFI did not work from the time I checked in. The front desk put me on to a central customer console who attempted to help me. Despite best efforts signal strength was low and this person suggested a room change will be offered. There was no further communication from the front desk until I checked out two days later..
The hotel is located in a quite street, with walking distance to major attractions of the city. complimentary breakfast was good and the exercise room is fine. Hope someone from Marriott reads this review and ensures the customer care in this property improves....

Room Tip: I stayed in room with a street view and on that level. May be checking WIFI accessibility prior to c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
chicago, il
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here in a 1-BD suite for 4 nights for a convention. Perfection location as less than a half of a mile to the convention center. (also walked to French Quarter without a problem but it is a hike to do multiple days)

Staff was all amazing and really friendly. We kept losing our keys and asked for recommendations and they were overly accommodating everytime. They also provided great recommendations for us and appreciated their guidance as we were traveling as a family.

Room was nice with a full kitchen, pull out bed and queen in master. All of the accommodations met our needs. Sheets/bedding were nice and the furniture was tastefully done. Free WiFi and great breakfast in the morning.

Highly recommended for this level of hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ARCADIA, CA
Reviewed November 22, 2013

A very quiet and well-kept edition of the Residence Inn division of Marriott hotels, it is located in the up-and-coming Warehouse District, very close to and convenient to the horrible New Orleans Convention Center. Since many organizations choose to have meetings at that convention center and I am, thus, forced to travel to NO reasonably frequently, I was delighted to find this quiet oasis. The Warehouse District itself is very interesting; it has been rapidly developing over the past several years and reminds me a lot of the early beginnings of SoHo in NYC. The hotel itself seems to have mainly well-appointed, well-equipped suites with very comfortable beds, couches, well-equipped desks for work, good WiFi, etc. This has become my "go-to" hotel every time I attend a meeting in NO, and I would stay there if I ever went to NO on vacation. The staff is very friendly and exceptionally helpful, too. The hotel is built in a hollow square pattern, with a very nice courtyard in the center, and has a exceptionally nice breakfast area for the very good free breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side toward the convention center are larger and have better WiFi
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business