“Unexpected value with Marriott Points”

Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
Ranked #41 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel was much nicer than I expected. The staff was helpful and courteous, and the layout and décor were very "New Orleans", compared to traditional Residence Inns. The interiors of the rooms were interesting, with different levels for living and bedroom areas.

I'm glad, though, that I used Marriott points instead of paying for the room - I thought it was a bit expensive, but I'm not familiar with the overall cost profile of New Orleans.

It's definitely a bit way from the Bourbon Street scene, but, in nice weather, it's a pleasant walk along the river, and a cab is easy and inexpensive way to get back (under $10).

If you can, request a 2nd floor room - we had a room on the 1st floor on the outside of the building, which is right on the street, and without the blackout curtains closed, anyone walking or parking can see right into the living room. A little freaky... The windows are barred so were secure enough, but it's still kind of an odd feeling if you're not used to that inner city feel.

Overall recommended, but not sure about value for price if paying the $$.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room to avoid passers by viewing
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank buffysnee

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The NOLA Residence Inn is typical of this brand - clean spacious rooms, and, okay breakfasts.
The wifi is horrendously slow with frequent service interruptions, so if this important find another hotel.
The hotel is out the way, about 6 blocks south of the French Quarter near Magazine and cabs are few and far between. (we had a driver for Jazzfest so it was not an issue.).
One day the maid slipped a note under our door claiming she was honoring our request for privacy, but we had already left for Jazzfest. Our room was not made when we returned. No clean towels. Total lie about the privacy request. Management did give us bonus points to assuage us.
Bottom line - unusually disappointing experience for a Marriott property.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is wonderful. The rooms are large, comfortable, clean, and modern. There is a fully functional kitchen, a large living area with a pull out couch, and a comfortable bed with nice pillows. The large, well-landscaped courtyard in the middle of the hotel has a pool, tennis court, basketball court, and a dog park. The surrounding Warehouse District is swanky, and the surrounding restaurants (Cochon Butcher is a must) are delicious. I stay at a lot of hotels, and this is one of the few hotels in New Orleans that I look forward to returning to because it doesn't feel like a hotel. It feels like a vacation condo in a wonderful part of the city.

1  Thank kayteepea
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We traveled to New Orleans recently for a convention. We were happily surprised by our stay at the Residence Inn. The location was perfect for my husband to walk to the convention center and there were good/fun restaurants nearby, Emeril's, Lucy's, Tommy's Wine Bar (great place for late evening drink). I found that I could walk up to the St. Charles trolley, about four blocks to go either direction. I also took bus 91 (?) up and down Magazine Street for shopping. The only downside is that the bus schedule is kind of unpredictable and doesn't run that often during the day, more often at rush hour. The French Quarter was a bit of a walk, but we did it almost every day for shopping and restaurants. We had a living room with small kitchen and a bedroom, perfect for my husband who gets up during the night when he can't sleep. Plus it was great to have a refrig. The most surprising thing was the good breakfasts and Monday through Thursday cocktail/snack hour. With the oatmeal they actually had raisins, brown sugar, nuts available. With the waffles they had fresh blueberries for toppers. They also had egg and meat dishes. The snacks varied from night to night and while not exactly health food, they were yummy. Nice pool area, although they need to clean the pool furniture. Queen-sized bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. People working the desk were pleasant and helpful all the time. Internet service was a little sporadic, but it did work. Our room was over the courtyard and was quiet. Wouldn't want an outside room.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms away from front of the building are the quietest.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were here for an event and wanted to stay close to the hot spots in the French Quarter but did not want the noise of that area. We chose the Residence Inn and we are very glad we did. We had a 2 bedroom suite and had plenty of room for everyone. A nice sized kitchen was a plus as we did some cooking while here. The outside sitting area was very nice and helped to make you not feel like you were at a hotel. The breakfast was fine, I won't complain about food included in the rate. They have all the staples so everyone can get something. Staff was very attentive and everyone was very friendly. The rooms were very clean and you could tell that the staff actually cleaned each day. I would stay here again if visiting New Orleans, short walk to everything you would need. Even if you want to drive places, parking isn't badly priced in the French Quarter.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I chose this hotel based on location near family, and I am a Marriott Rewards member. The hotel was also in a great location for the convention center area and there are several great restaurants within a couple of blocks. It was about a 15-minute easy walk to the French Quarter.

The room was nice. This hotel only offers queen-sized beds, and while the bedding was clean and comfortable, the mattress was not very supportive (maybe older?), especially compared to my experience at other Residence Inns. The suite was a great size and the living room furniture and kitchen appliances have been recently updated. All needed amenities were included in the kitchen and the desk was a good-sized work space.

As with all of the Residence Inns, the breakfast is plentiful, if not gourmet, and the Mon-Thu happy hours are a nice touch.

I used the pool and hot tub and found them to be in good condition. However, guests had to ask several times for hotel staff to bring fresh towels before they were provided (once the towel bins had been emptied. I also used the workout facility and found the cardio machines to be newer models, which was a nice surprise, and there were several of them as well as free weights.

The reasons I am giving only three stars are: 1) My room was in the building adjacent to the front desk where the hallways were atrium style and noise was amplified. Every night, guests came and went at all hours and were not quiet. Thankfully, I had earplugs, but I was still awakened several times. It is possible the other building is quieter, so I would ask upon check-in. 2) The towels I was provided were pretty ratty. Two of them were torn. Not just strings hanging, but giant tears in the middle of the fabric. I did not ask for them to be replaced, I just used the other ones provided. 3) The bathroom floor was never cleaned during my stay. There was hair that was not mine on the floor, and footprints from my shoes were never cleaned by anyone other than me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank phoenixjewel
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Residence Inn Downtown in only a couple of blocks from the Convention Center and if you are going to a meeting there this hotel is an excellent choice. Great for the business part of your trip and only a 15 minute walk from the heart of the French Quarter. Nice spacious rooms, not too much outside noise, lovely pool area with tables for eating the excellent buffet breakfasts. Very helpful staff. Late afternoon treats sounded appealing but we were not able to take advantage of those.

Room Tip: Upper floors will be quieter.