“really nice small hotel”

St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #44 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just spent 4 nights at this hotel on magazine St. It is a couple of blocks outside the quarter but easy walking distance to anywhere we wanted to go. Very clean, and very nice staff. Christina on the front desk was particularly helpful and pleasant. This is a European style hotel so if you are looking for a Marriott or Hyatt, this isn't it but the price was reasonable and the vibe was great. An added plus is a free continental breakfast delivered to the room every morning. I recommend that you ask for a room that does not overlook the courtyard as there is a bit of thumping and bumping noise at night

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The St. James is a wonderful little boutique hotel in a spectacular location of New Orleans. My wife & I recently stayed there over our wedding weekend, and we were treated fantastically by the staff - setting us up with a particularly nice King Suite during our stay, and just generally making us feel as though we were truly "at home."
Can't say enough about the staff and how friendly, pleasant and accommodating they were - in particular, Ariael, Christina, Amy & Michelle (and the list goes on and on). Although it was a relatively short stay, it was a pleasure to feel like we truly welcomed by the staff there. [And a tip for future guests, if you can convince Ariael to sing for you, you're in for a real treat - she broke out some John Legend for us on our wedding night, and we were absolutely blown away!]

Room Tip: Having the extra room in the King Suite (especially if it has courtyard access) was quite a treat!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andrewrrutz
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Smallish Boutique hotel with rooms that reminded me a bot of Europe. The room was very comfortable and the bed with 4 high post was a bit of a climb to get into but very comfortable. There was no real view from the windows - but that was okay. The hotel is in walking distance to the quarter and has a separate entrance to the Chop House Restaurant.

Parking is a bit of an issue as the garage is a few blocks away so you have to call down and allow a time for them to retrieve your car. But I had no problem with that. It is just different from a few hotels with a close parking lot. The lobby is very small and the front desk staff was helpful and check in was easy as well.

The walls are thin so I could hear the conversation next door. But I could sleep with no problem. Overall I would stay at this hotel again. And it is in my list when I visit New Orleans for business.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the St. James during the St. Patrick's day holiday week. From arrival, we were impressed by the incredible hospitality and warmth with which we were received by Amy and Ariel at the front desk. They were charming and personable and even showed me how to mend the broken zipper on my change purse. The great service continued all the way through. Our room was spacious and clean, and the croissants in the morning were delicious, though the coffee could've been a little stronger to counteract the effects and strength of every other beverage we drank in New Orleans. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights just last week. Ariel at the front desk was great- she recommended a place for lunch and was super helpful. Now for the place itself- I think it's 4 stars for the price and location, both of which are quite good. There are some drawbacks that may lead others to give it 3 stars, but if you want everything, stay at the Waldorf and pay for it. Yes, the pool is more like the size of a large fountain, and breakfast is just croissants, but I didn't care about a pool, and we went out for breakfast. The suite had a separate sitting area- one tv in the bedroom and one in the sitting room, so the hubs could catch up on basketball, and I could watch what I wanted right before bed. Room was quiet and clean. The bath could've used a fresh coat of paint and a different bath mirror (appeared to be made out of wicker, which isn't a surface you can get very clean, which grossed me out- why not just install wall to wall mirror that you can wipe clean?). Bath was clean though- no moldy caulk or other issues. Water pressure was light. Overall, it's a good value. Not perfect, but as close as you will get for price and location.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Dcattorney1
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here on the recommendation of other Trip Advisor reviews, and believed the location just outside the French Quarter was perfect, and was sadly disappointed. Stayed over the St Patrick's Day weekend. Even though I said the reason I chose this hotel was based on reviews & that I'd previously stayed in the French Quarter & it was too noisy .... No, they gave us a 2nd floor room right over the street & the dumpster. Noisy every morning between 3am & 6am- except Sunday. But, the room was always clean, plenty of fresh towels & bathroom amenities, as well as a fridge, microwave, big screen HD TV with premium channels ( not that we were in the room long enough to watch them, but...). Room was smallish (not as small as NYC basic), but room enough. The "courtyard" is nothing more than a small alleyway with flowers, shrubs & some places to sit. One "draw" was the coffee & croissants delivered to your room - which was nice the first morning, then I had to go downstairs to the coffee station in the lobby to get more cream, then had to be sure to request it the next morning, and the last morning had to ask at the desk for any cream & was told very matter-of-factly, "I guess we're out" .... Didn't seem to be much of a concern ..... Will look elsewhere next time....

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Good location, Great customer service, overall very pleased with this stay. We went for a quick trip before mardi gras. The price was very reasonable for 5 of us, close enough to bourbon to walk but far enough to be out of the craziness!

Room Tip: the suite is quite small says its sleeps 6, but we could barely move. I expected their to be a small...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends