St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #46 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I loved staying here during such a busy weekend, and I still got the attention to detail from the staff. Christina and Amy were like my go to gals. The hotel is close to everything and the staff restaurant recommendations were awesomely fulfilling. I can say the bathrooms in the hotel either need a face lift or better cleaning tools everything else I loved.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while taking in a Saints game. Our room was on the third floor and had a walled balcony/patio. We liked the room and the exposed beams. As is inevitable in travels, we had an issue. The staff resolved it quickly and with the professionalism of the best of hotels. It has all of the New Orleans charm we enjoy without the "old building smell" of some other hotels in New Orleans. Two blocks to the Quarter in a chic area with great restaurants. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here at the St. James Hotel. It was very quaint with comfy beds.
We thought the little breakfast they brought to our room each morning was very sweet and
we didn't expect any thing more. It was just nice to have some coffee and a croissant, before heading out for the day. We commend Amy, Christina, Ariel and Shaughn for their friendliness, and always being so helpful. We felt like family by the time we left. We had a great time in New Orleans, and staying at the St. James was a very pleasant experience for us.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlexAnn2014
Reviewed March 6, 2014

St. James hotel was a really nice place for us to stay during Mardi Gras. We got the rooms kind of last minute and it was right in the middle of everything. They charged me the deposit which was fine, however when I asked them about a deposit they promised me no charges till check in. They charged it 2 weeks prior to check in. When we first arrived I paid for 3 nights of parking WITH CASH and they have valet which was AWESOME. The stay was overall good except no housekeeping ever came to our room, but with it being a super busy time I understand. When we went to leave there was a bill under my door saying I owed 179 for parking so we went to the front desk only to find out that they charged my card $100.62 for parking 3 different times. The lady at the front desk her was beyond rude she acted like it was my fault for the charge. They took care of it after an hour of waiting and we left. When I checked my account on the way home they had again charged my account $63.49 that still hasn't been taken care of after 3 days. Now this morning I saw a charge for instead of $914 for the rooms they charged me $1017. If you want anything done talk to the managers they are the nicest ones there.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank katherine c
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The location of the St. James was great - room our 1st night was spacious and clean, however my sister and I wanted to actually sleep on this trip - but the noise from the bar/rest below had their singer/music going till 11:30 pm. We asked to be moved, and they put us up in another room, not nearly as nice. must have been in the 'old' part of the hotel. The staff was nice, and but not very helpful with recommending things. Over-all the location is A+ near everything and in a good area.

Room Tip: try to stay away from above the lounge/bar - too noisy - even up high.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed here two weekends in a row around the Mardi Gras season in part based on earlier T.A. ratings. These ratings have dropped and I became acutely aware why during our stays. After the first weekend, we were contractually obligated to stay so we hoped our issues were related just to the particular room. Our room the second weekend was no better.

I called ahead the first visit and request a quiet room, off the street. The lady sounded indifferent but stated she would try. We received room 213 which is one floor above where the garbage is picked up every morning at 6 am. Upon leaving we asked that for the next weekend we could move away from this area. Our room assignment ended up being 211, next door with a window facing the corner of the garbage pick-up alley and Magazine St. So I pointed this out the the attendant and she moved us into the next building back but a nearly identical room down the alley just back from Magazine. The noise level in the hotel is the worse I have even been in. Be prepared.

During our first stay, I received and email from the General Manager Jennifer Dragna stating valet parking would not be offered the next week due to the parades. Ok, I understand, and knew that parking was just three blocks away at Harrahs. After dropping off the luggage the second visit, parking away and walking in, the security guard, Devin, mentioned I dropped something, returned it and wasn't sure if it was the valet's item. I ignored that initially but upon leaving three days later it turned out they had valet parking the whole time. One even helped stop a tow truck from picking up our car while we were loading our bags. Bizarre.

The rooms themselves are two to three stars. Mold in the shower and A-C vents. Firm mattress and even firmer pillows. We brought our own pillows the second time. Patches in the carpets, dated furniture and generalized wear and tear can be over looked.

While I would not stay here again, the location is perfect but there are several higher rated hotels very close by.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BluesDoctor
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The st James hotel was amazing professional fun staff.. Amy and Cristiano were so fun. Helped us with coordinating our plans, as we needed plenty of assistance while there in New Orleans for all-star, we did not sleep . A nonstop party in Nola. This hotel was a great find, cozy and cute. We Will return.

• Stayed: February 2014