St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #44 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 20, 2013

The front desk staff here were outstanding. There were several issues with our room and they (Amy, Christina, and anyone else working during our stay 12/13 - 12/18) apologized profusely each time I had to bring one up. They clearly care about their hotel. I just wish the management team cared about the details.

Positives: the room on the 4th floor was quiet and secluded. The bed was comfortable. The location was great - easy to get to the French Quarter, the convention center, hop on the streetcar to go up Canal Street, hop on a streetcar to go out to the Garden District, and to even walk to the WWII Museum.

Negatives (all related to room 403): attention to the details is a bit lacking. Nothing that I complained about is a make-or-break thing but the fact that I had to bring so many up would make me think twice before I stay here again. Had to request a box of tissues. The sheer curtains were unhemmed and fraying and falling off the track along with the heavy curtains. I had to ask maintenance to come hang them. Not certain why housekeeping wouldn't report this. After they were on there a few days and we used them, they started falling off again. Clearly, they need to repair this. There was what looked like to be a couple small blood stains on the comforter which weren't seen until I moved pillows to pull back the covers. This is something housekeeping should be looking for and since they are on a white comforter it wouldn't take a lot of looking. This, in my opinion, is a concern because it makes me wonder about the actual deep cleaning that goes on. The shower pull up lever was extremely hard to raise and the shower head, which is supposed to be able to turn for different levels of massage was set on the center one with the weakest stream and wouldn't turn. They did come and fix this. The people who have caulked the various areas in the bathroom didn't take pride in their work - I could've done a neater job. Again, this isn't functional, more cosmetic but we do pay for a certain level of niceness. One morning my husband had beignets, which if you know about, are covered in powdered sugar and he got some on the carpet. When we came back, they either hadn't vacuumed or their vacuum wasn't working well. It was gone the next day and a little gift basked from housekeeping was there (the second basket they felt compelled to leave us) after I mentioned this to the front desk staff. Their sink handles in the bathroom were leaking and clearly it's not the first time as there was lime on the handles, which my husband says indicates it's been a slow leak for awhile. I mentioned this but it wasn't fixed while we were there. Finally, on the last day we were there, when we came back to the room, there were no washcloths. I called the next morning when I needed them and someone delivered one - they said the rest were in the laundry. Clearly, they need to purchase more to have on hand. My husband and I had to share it.

If you are someone who needs a hairdryer, then you might want to bring one as there are none in the rooms (well, at least this one).

Room Tip: The 4th floor is going to be the quietest but don't know with all the issues we've had or it...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Singingdove
Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Thank you staff at St James for a wonderful stay. Amy and the front desk crew were always helpful, personal and friendly. I look forward to our next stay with you. We stay at a large variety of hotels on our tours and this is one of the better. Cheers

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bobkatysuzyleopold
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I live in hotels around forty weeks out of the year. I am also a Diamond Elite Choice Hotel member.
I have been to over twenty different hotels through out New Orleans. This was a "Different Style" setting for me.

I would surely come back with my wife. Amy and the staff really hit a "Home Run" here. Breakfast was also unique. Just enough to get you started for the day. Way to go guys!!!!

2  Thank albert f
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This place was awesome, me and my husband had the best time in New Orleans. The staff at this place was superb (Christina, Shawn) I had some problems with my heater but they were very helpful and showed to be really concerned to fix the problem. But I was not in my room that long because ahh I was in New Orleans hello but everything is really close great for friends, and couples out to experience the city. This will be my spot from here on whenever I visit the beautiful city..

1  Thank Leigh H
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel is very well located - close to action but far away enough to be quiet and relaxing. The staff were very helpful, especially Amy who was working on the reception. The room was clean and comfortable and what a nice surprise to have complimentary warm croissants delivered to your room for breakfast. I would recommend and when I return to New Orleans will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travellerbobm
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The hotel is a small boutique like space it's not a grand hotel so don't expect full course breakfast or door attendant. The hotel is great in what it has friendly staff ( christina, Amy, Ashley) small but courteous breakfast to get your day started and comfortable beds, this place is close to everything if your looking for a jewel in the ruff this is the place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonas L
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This small hotel very centrally located near French Quarter and everything else in New Orleans, is an extremely wonderful place to stay. The hotel staff is totally service oriented and they treat their guests as if they were royalty. One staff Member (her name was Amy) was delightful. The St James treats their guests to a continental breakfast that is fresh from the warm croissant to the fresh orange juice. Wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in 302 which looked over the street. No view there.
1  Thank Terry H