“The staff, location and amenities!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #45 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Tampa,Fl.
“The staff, location and amenities!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife, daughter and myself stayed the weekend at the St James and can only say we will be back. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles from Danielle and James. They are exceptional ambassadors for the St.James. The room we had,122, has a semi private courtyard with a fountain and high walls surrounding it. Nice and private for the location is surrounded by busy NoLA activity. The location makes for very efficient outings being a few blocks from Canal St. and many of the best restaurants in town. The beds were extra comfy,shower easy to use,towels,sheets etc are top notch. They will bring you continental breakfast to your room as it is not served in the lobby but offered as room service only. The general neighborhood felt safe for New Orleans and was far enough from Bourbon to not hear the crowds all night but close enough to anything you would want to do.

Great staff,location,amenities and a great value. An extra kudos to Danielle and James for helping us feel so welcome.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Geoff1725

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The St. James was perfect for my wife and I. We were just passing through New Orleans on our way back to Houston and we decided to stay at the St. James for a couple nights, and we made the best decision to do so. Upon arriving, the valet was there ready to park our car and Danielle at the desk had the most welcoming attitude and southern hospitality that we've both heard about. She complimentary upgraded us to a suite and gave us all the info about the hotel and the city that we needed. She was outstanding! Not to mention, our room was gorgeous! The bed was so comfortable, and the breakfast was just what we needed to kick start our morning. We were in a perfect location and were able to walk everywhere. We loved the St. James and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank cannon39
Kingman, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I had stayed two nights at this hotel, we too had never been to New Orleans before, and was greatly impressed with the hotel cleanliness and staff. The hotel was with in walking distance to everything that we wanted to see and do. Did I mention the wonderful staff???? When we arrived in the early evening we were greeted by Tori, such a wonderful attitude and more than willing to help in any way possible. Tori gave us the name of a great restaurant, that was "New Orleans Style" he also gave us detailed directions with a map. We were helped upstairs by James, he was very careful with our belongings and friendly. When we went back through the lobby, to walk to our destination to eat, Tori made sure we had our map and no questions about how to get to the restaurant. When we returned a couple hours later Tori again welcomed us back and inquired how our food was. He had such a great attitude. The next morning we were greeted by Amy, what a ray of sunshine! She too inquired about if we had any questions about how to get to our destination of travel, she was extremely helpful and so pleasant to deal with. After several hours of "sight seeing" we returned to the lobby to again be greeted by the amazing Amy, who inquired to make sure that we were happy with our stay thus far. In the evening we were again greeted by Tori, who too was interested in how our stay was thus far.

Tori and Amy are such an amazing asset to this establishment and city, we will definitely stay here EVERY time we come to New Orleans, they made our stay so much more enjoyable and hassle free.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget B
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I went to NOLA with 2 friends during Labor Day weekend. The hotel lobby is spotless & cozy. I liked the self serve ice water near the front desk. It was so hot & humid outside. I was happy to see the "business center" was in the lobby too. I was able to print some coupons for BOGO free drinks, appetizers & desserts for places on Bourbon street. I did not like the location of the computer & desk. It was next to the door where guests' luggage was stored. I was at the computer for about 10 minutes. I had to get up and move out of the area 3 times. Not good. The "business center" should be in another area of the lobby that does not block any doors or passage ways.

Another bummer was the pool. My friends & I packed our bathing suits. We planned on using the pool everyday. THE POOL WAS DRAINED & THE AREA WAS CLOSED. I wish we would have been told when we made the reservation that the pool was OUT OF ORDER.

Our room had a fridge that was broken. We needed the fridge to store our drinks and left over food. We called the front desk to get it repaired or changed. James came to our rescue! He came back with a surge protector with extra plugs for us to use to charge our electronics. The fridge was fixed....it was extra cold! James was super friendly, & quickly fixed our fridge. He also recommended a place for us to eat "local food." James was great! He is an asset to the hotel.

The beds were big & comfy. Lots of towels in the bathroom was good. The daily breakfast consisted of freshly baked croissants, butter, jam, coffee, tea, O.J. delivered to your room at the time you requested.

All in all this hotel is clean, affordable & has a friendly staff. It is a few blocks from Canal street. Pretty quiet street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mona y
Montgomery, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Never having explored New Orleans, I chose this hotel hoping it was fairly close to most attractions and it was. (The farthest attraction that we visited was the Audobon Zoo and it was 6 miles away.) Everything was very close so I was pleased. We paid extra and booked a 2 queen bed suite with patio, and although a suite, it was quite small compared to modern day accommodations. It was 1 room with 2 beds , separate bath, and a closet! I did not understand how this was considered a suite as there was not a sitting area, nor a separate room or furnishings dividing anything in any way. We arrived very late Aug. 30th and our "patio" doors opened directly to the pool.......which had a sign "POOL CLOSED", drained of water, and all lounge chairs surrounding the pool stacked up, so the extra money we paid for this room was not well spent with a very disappointing "view". Valet parking is an additional $30.00 per night and self-parking is not an option unless you can find a public parking deck nearby and walk to the hotel. It is a Choice Hotels property so I was a bit disappointed about our view AND patio being an empty pool and stacked chairs and the "suite" description being a bit misleading. Having said all of that, the Hotel is very nice, clean, and the staff super friendly. Croissants, juice and coffee are delivered to your room each morning and this is complimentary, so that is quite a plus. The cost was comparable to other hotels in the area so I would choose a different hotel next time since I feel I did not receive what I paid for at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank L B
Burleson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a fantastic place to stay in New Orleans!!

I am actually a GM with a major branded property in the North Texas Metroplex. So, I purposely chose an individually owned hotel, with the hopes of a new experience. Well, let me tell everyone.......Hands Down, the best hotel experience EVER!!!!

Before we even arrived, I called ahead and spoke with Tori, letting him know that we were coming to celebrate my husband's 50th Birthday. Tori was so helpful, gathering all kinds of information from me, to put together ideas for us, upon arrival. He even put me in contact with Tony, an amazing and very knowledgeable local shuttle driver, to make arrangements for us to be picked up at the airport!

Talk about team work......Upon arrival, we met Danielle. She was absolutely amazing!! Danielle had suggestions for great places to eat, shop, and inside information on some of the history of the area. Then we met Amy....a complete delight!! She even had coupons for local restaurants and more insight into the city and great things to do! The night auditor was also a doll....Tamera!! Bless her heart...she even put up with some of our friend's wild story telling in the middle of the night!! We even met James from Maintenance...another great employee!
I am telling y'all...it is like one big happy family. Truly amazing. I felt like I had know these people my whole life!

And, the hotel.......it was equally amazing! Our room was on the 1st floor and it was fantastic, even with our own courtyard. Our friends had a room on the 3rd floor, and it was wonderful too. The property is very well maintained and the housekeeping department keeps everything nice and clean. The hotel is also in a perfect location. It is just a couple of blocks from everything....and, that makes it very nice when you want to call it a night!

So, Cudos to your GM and Ownership!!!! And, many thanks to the entire staff for making our trip to New Orleans....one of just many to come!!!

I could never imagine staying, or even recommending any place else to stay, in New Orleans!!!!

With Great Admiration,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CaraBurleson
Monroe, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Absolute jewel located steps away from everyting! Genuinely friendly staff that went beyond their call of duty to make our stay wonderful. Amy and James made us feel completely at home. We will definitely visit again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family