“Average/ not bad”

Ranked #101 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Waxahachie
“Average/ not bad”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Overall it is an ok hotel. I liked the location because it was away from the French Quarter. I chose it because it had a trolley stop in front of the hotel BUT the trolley is not running on that part of St.Charles due to repairs. But we figured out the bus system and then switched to trolley on Canal St. The hall does have a funky smell as I had see in other reviews, almost like a sewer backed up somewhere. Once you are in the room you don't smell it. The view we got was of the 2nd floor parking lot. The room furnishings were somewhat dated but on other reviews it states it is 70's inspired. Wireless Internet was useless unless you were in the breakfast area of the lobby. Breakfast was very limited. The only other issue I had was lighting was very poor in the bathroom.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbieandsteve35
GeofTaylor, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all feedback and will review your comments with our staff. I am glad overall your stay was a good one and I hope you will come back and see us and some exciting new changes very soon!
Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My first hotel experience in New Orleans was on Bourbon Street, moving to the Clarion on St Charles was a very welcome change! The staff at the Clarion were much more personable, the parking valets took time to explain the parking plans and were quick to offer directions either for walking or driving to the local amenities. Inside the Clarion the hotel's dining area was very clean and well maintained. The selection of appetizers, soups and salads, and entree's were very good, prices reasonable, and presentation perfect. My room was quite spacious and the temperature at check-in was right on target; cool and comfortable. Inside the room was a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker as well as a large screen television.

While it is not far from the downtown and French Quarter the Clarion is located in a very pleasant neighborhood environment; the streets are a little busy but not noisy or difficult to get in or out from parking. The trolley line is not so accessible as it was about 6 blocks away, but don't forget that this is a nice neighborhood so walking is not out of the question.

In summary the Clarion is a very nice hotel with a friendly staff and adequate ammenities. Room pricing is quite reasonable; enjoy the New Orleans experience and come back to the hotel for a nice refreshing rest.

Room Tip: third floor was my "home" and there were no noises from the street, Frech Quarter, or even...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jerry G
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed our location in the beautiful Garden District.
Our valet is top notch and I am glad they took great care of you! I will have to speak to Chad the valet manager and let him know to keep up the good work!
I will also be sending kudos to brad the bistro manager. They do have a great selection of reasonably priced food items to choose from. (My personal favorite is the praline cheesecake.)
Again It is fantastic to hear that your trip was made better by my staff! I do hope you will come back and see us on your next visit to NOLA!
Best Regards,
2012 Choice Hotels International Gold Award WInner
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Room was clean and comfortable. Location on St. Charles St. above the Cheesecake Bistro is perfect for catching the streetcar and within walking distance of several restaurants (and even a Walgreen). Very tiny breakfast area, but the Trolley Stop Cafe is right across the street and has excellent breakfast.
Like another reviewer, I wasn't thrilled about having to use the valet service every time I wanted my car, but they were always polite and it probably was more secure for my vehicle.
Desk staff was very helpful when I needed to send a fax. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank evd91
Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Our location is great and the perfect home base for both business and pleasure alike! We do hope you come back and visit us on your next trip down to the big easy!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

The first room we checked into had throw-up on the floor! The second room had large wet stains all over the bed, and the third room was just as bad! We decided to leave immediately. We had to get the valet to go and get our cars, I was not fond of having to valet my car everytime I came and went. As we proceeded to leave the girl at the front desk offered us a suite for half price. The suite was nice and clean with a good view of st.charles ave. We ended up staying two nights. The continental breakfast was poo, as in not worth getting up for.
On the plus side, the staff was very friendly, especially the girls at the front desk!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank marcus r
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our property. I am so sorry you were not satisfied with your room until you were given a complimentary upgrade. I did review your concerns with maintenance and housekeeping and although no issues you described were found in the rooms you were initially in we did take the time to completely steam clean the room and do a full maintenance inspection. We take pride in our housekeeping and maintenance of our hotel and in fact have won awards since we have opened in these issues as voted on by our guests.
The continental breakfast is just that, continental, and is approved by choice hotels. We do offer pastries, waffles, bagels,hot and cold cereal, three juices, milk, tea, coffee, and a few little extras. We do not offer a hot breakfast however. There are multiple options for a more filling breakfast within a few blocks.
I am glad the staff was friendly and that you liked the value. location, rooms and service of our property. Again thank you for your review.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at the Clarion for the second time in less than a year when visiting my daughter at Tulane University. I wanted to change rating from 3 stars to 4 stars after this trip. The clarion grand boutique hotel is at a great location if you are visiting Tulane and it is very reasonably priced. By no means is it a fancy hotel but rather provides what is needed, is clean and the staff is very friendly. Breakfast is provided in the morning which is convenient.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Loveagreatvacation
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased you had a pleasent stay and hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans!
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Good value at this mid level hotel
Rooms are not bad but hallways smell and breakfast area miniscule with limited fare
On the positive side your waistline will thank you
Internet didn't work for two days and front office not helpful

You got what you paid for...

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Pistolepeete
Thank you for your feedback. The only way to make sure we always meet our guests' expectations is to know what other guests thought of their stay! I am glad that overall you thought our hotel was a good value, however i am disappointed that we did not fully live up to your expectations. I have spoken with both our housekeeping supervisor and our maintenance supervisor about the smell you experienced in our hallways. Though nothing was detected, they did do a complete inspection of the air system and carpet shampooing in them to prevent another guest from having this experience. Thank you again for your review.
SIncerely,
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My 9 year old daughter and I stayed here recently for a weekend visit to New Orleans. If you have spent any time in New Orleans, you know how difficult it can be to park and get around in your car. I chose this hotel, since it was in the Garden District, and the trolley runs right in front of the hotel. The French Quarter is a few minute trolley ride away, and also the zoo is a short trolley ride away. However, the section in front of the hotel was under construction for our visit. No big deal, as the staff gave great directions to all the sights we wanted to visit. The good: the staff was great! Front desk and housekeeping were very friendly. The guys in valet parking were awesome! They took great care of our vehicle and showed us the best routes to get to all the places we wanted to get to! The location is so convenient to all the sights. The rooms were very clean and very large. Had a fridge, microwave, sofa, desk, nice flat screen, and comfy bed. There is also a Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on-site, which is delicious!
The bad: my daughter thought the furnishings were out-dated (70's look). I thought it fit the style/location of the hotel. The breakfast was very limited, but there is a great place next door called the Trolley Stop Cafe, which had wonderful food at a reasonable price. The walls were very, very thin. If you are a light sleeper, expect to be woken up in the middle of the night when the neighbors come in. Can hear their casual conversation through the walls.
I would stay here again! Would be a great place to stay for Mardi Gras!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank johnrman
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! It seems like overall you had a great time here in nola! I am so glad you mentioned the streetcar construction. During this time the city is running buses along the streetcar line for easy transportation to the quarter. I like to say its the city's way of giving us some air conditioning on these hot summer days. The construction is expected to finish soon.
You are correct our furnishings are art deco reproductions inspired to fit the architecture of the lobby. In the rooms however are modern, streamlined ,dark wood furnishings purchased in 2008.
I am sorry to hear that you were woken up due to noise and want to assure you that all our walls are concrete reinforced for soundproofing above choice hotel standards. I will look in to purchasing earplugs for the desk just so this does not happen again.
I am glad that you will come back and stay with us next time you are in town and you are correct Mardi Gras is a blast at the hotel. We hope to see you then!
2012 CHoice hotels International Gold Award Winner