“A Nice Stay for Marathon Weekend”

Ranked #105 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This was a last minute find, as the hotel I had originally booked in the Quarter jumped up significantly in price due to the New Orleans Marathon running this weekend (but that's another story). While the Clarion probably bumped up their prices as well, it was still cheaper than anything in the Quarter. This was a great location, especially if you don't mind being outside the FQ. The Garden District has a very "homey" feel to it and having the St. Charles Streetcar line right outside the door was really handy - a 10 minute ride and you are dropped off at Canal and Bourbon. There are lots of restaurants in the immediate vicinity (Zea was good with huge portions) and a handy Walgreens just a block away. The hotel was clean and the room we stayed in was updated and garnered no complaints from me or my family (nice size flat screen tv). The friendliness of the front desk staff could improve, but they did allow for a late checkout after I finished the marathon, so that was very much appreciated. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ozarkultrarunner
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and letting us know about your experiences! I am so glad that for the most part your stay was an enjoyable one. The marathon is such an exciting time in the city! Congrats on finishing it!
Zea's is one of my favorite restaurants. You can't beat good southern food with home crafted beer! Great suggestion for future travelers!
I am so glad you enjoyed your room and enjoyed our 42' TV’s. Those were added at the beginning of the year and we are very excited about them!
I did want to take a second and apologize that you felt our desk staff wasn't the friendliest. I so want each guest to have a personal and warm experience with our staff and I will surely share with them that they did not succeed in giving you that! I do hope you will come back to our city and stay with us again soon!
Choice Hotels International 2012 Gold Award Winner

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Went to NO in January. Hotel was very good. Quiet with wide hallways, and the elevator was fast and always operational. Its not a large hotel, so there is not the overcrowding. The breakfast area is small, but it is adequate. Great location. Walked to a pizza shop one night up the street. A few blocks away is the Garden district homes, and further up is Tulane Univ. They also provided me with a night of free parking, which was very nice. Would stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Flyerman
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us how we did! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel and the surrounding area! I do hope you will come back and see us soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

I really appreciated this hotel. If you are in the city to party, don't let the distance from Bourbon deter you.... Be a local and take the streetcar, which stops directly in front of the hotel!! Or you can wine & dine downstairs at the Cheesecake Bistro!!!! The rooms are updated and for the price, you will want to stay again.

2  Thank Monthlytraveler09
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write about our little property! I am so happy you got to experience New Orleans as a local! New Orleans is SO much more than bourbon street and i love it when people discover the other sides of this great city! We consider ourselves one of the best values in the city and I am pleased you seem to agree! Come back and see us real soon!
warmly,

Reviewed January 25, 2012

A friend and I stayed here on a recent visit to NoLa. Great location, with plenty of side street parking (free!), and a street car stop right outside. Staff was very helpful, going so far as to map out restaurant suggestions for us. They were also very accomodating with an after midnight check-in and a late check-out that allowed us to shower and change after a late tour. I highly suggest this as a fine hotel in which to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff. I am very pleased that my staff made a positive impression on you! We love to suggest our favorite spots in the city and i hope our suggestions did not disappoint! I do hope you will come and see us again on your next trip to new Orleans!
Best Regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2012

My sister and I (both in our 50s) stayed here in January, and found it to be exactly what we were looking for -- an inexpensive, friendly, satisfactory place with great access by streetcar and foot to the places we most wanted to see. For those who might be looking for something a little different -- a great view, a pool or fitness facilities, great food on-site, or a location within the bustling French Quarter -- this place would disappoint. The location is right on the St. Charles Street streetcar line (at St. Andrew and St. Charles) and near some wonderful Garden District streets/homes, but the immediately adjacent properties are nothing terribly special and the views are likely to be of parking areas. There is a restaurant downstairs (which in all fairness we didn't try) and a small continental breakfast area in the lobby -- but with all the great eats in New Orleans, we opted to go out for every single meal, with fabulous restaurants nearby in the Garden District or 10 minutes away by streetcar in the French Quarter. The rooms were fairly standard, but totally acceptable to us. The beds and pillows were in fact extremely comfortable, I thought. The windows don't open, and I wished I could have gotten some fresh air, but there was a heating/cooling system that allowed me to make the room exactly the temperature I wanted. The desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. Overall, if this hotel fits your particular needs as it did ours, you will be very happy there, as we were.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did. It is our pleasure to meet and assist every one of our guests! I am so glad that you had a good time here in our city and at our property.
You are so correct there are a ton of great eats in the city, but next time i do hope you get to try our restaurant. It will not disappoint! I often say coming to new orleans is like going on a cruise, you gain 10 lbs!
I hope you come and see us again next time your travels take you our way!
2012 Choice Hotels Internation Gold Award Winner

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in mid-December to attend a graduation ceremony. While we normally stay in the Quarter this was a bowl game weekend and rates there were sky high. Not only did we get a great rate here, but we also got free valet parking. Even at $18 a night, that is a great deal for the city as it's usually at least $28-$30 per night to park in the Quarter.
The room was spacious and had a mini fridge and microwave. The bed was great and the pillows were plentiful. We did have the high carb free breakfast and it was certainly adequate and the coffee was good. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! I am so pleased to hear that you had a good stay. We do consider ourselves one of the best values in the city and i am glad you seem to agree. Please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is an odd little hotel situated on the top two floors above a restaurant. The biggest draw is the reasonable price near Jackson and St. Charles. There is an 18.00 per night charge for parking, though there is street parking within a couple of blocks. The rooms are average in all respects - a bit above average for cleanliness of the area hotels of this age. As someone who loves to walk the streets of the city, perhaps my favorite aspect of the hotel is the easy access for walking downtown to the French Quarter or going the other way uptown.

So in our two stays at this hotel, we are finding this a good alternative to the French Quarter hotels that are becoming quite overpriced for what they have to offer.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
grandboutiquenola, Manager at Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2012

Thank you so much for your honest review. We are so glad you came back to see us! It is so nice to hear that you enjoy our unique property. Our location is top notch, just outside the craziness of the quarter, but close enough to be in the middle of the action in minutes. We do hope to see you again soon!