“The hotel is great hotel, the staff is great except for the desk & GM”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #61 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I have stayed at the Hotel St. Marie before and, in fact, stayed in the same room as I did before. Not that I am complaining, we had two rooms with an adjoining balcony that viewed all the way down Toulose Street. The hotel is what you would expect. It is a nice hotel, but what ruined my trip was the stay. Espcially, a gentleman working the desk and the general manager who did not handle my complaints, but was more worried about a bad review on trip advisor.

My complaint was simple, we needed to leave a room key for a travelor who was arrivig later. Although both rooms were paid for with the same credit and the same credit card was being held to pay for incidentials on both rooms, the gentleman at the desk would not allow the person who had booked and paid for the room to leave a key for the room because he was not listed as staying in the room. That may be understandable, but when we asked to either call up the room and have the person staying in that room to come down or check the computer to verify who was paying for the room, he refused. When we attempted to continue the conversation we walked away.

At check out this same gentleman was working the desk, when I attempted to discuss this previous problem with him he walked away and called his general manager (whom I had talked to on the phone after the problem intially occured). The general manager came down and was more concerned about my tone with the desk employee and me leaving a bad review than he was about solving the problem or even apologizing for what occurred.

The gentleman at the desk made me and my group feel so uncomfortable, we rest down the block at the Inn on Bourbon hotel lobby before leaving town.

Don;t get me wrong, the Hotel St. Marie is a nice hotel with a great location and great balconies. However, The staff and management need to rememeber the name of the business, hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank nolavisitor

Reviewed June 22, 2007

I have just returned from New Orleans and stayed again at the Hotel St. Marie. This is maybe my fifth or sixth time - I have lost count. The hotel has two sister hotels - The Prince Conti and the Place d'Armes both also located in the French Quarter. Everything about the hotel is great - location, staff, ambience and the BIstro Moise and Hillary's Restaurants are top notch. Located just steps from Bourbon Street, the hotel is in the heart of the French Quarter action, but somehow manages to be a quiet boutique hotel. AND.... in walking distance to just about everything. Best of all I got the hotel at $68.00 per night!!! I spent about what I pay for one night in NYC for 5 nights in New Orleans. Do yourself a favor and stay at this little gem - you will go back. Within walking distance of the hotel is EAT on Dauphine Street (the old QSR - Quarter Scene Restaurant) had a fantastic breakfast there and they have terrific fried green tomatoes. Speaking of breakfast - the Ramada just down the street from the St. Marie and a fantastic breakfast buffet for $11.50. Other great places to eat - Mother's (best po'boys) on Polydras Street and Mona Lisa Restaurant for the best pizza ever.
Also Irene's Cuisine is a place where you will never get a bad meal. Best of all - I already have my reservation for the St. Marie for the weekend before Halloween - can't wait to get back!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank Gary E
Reviewed June 18, 2007

This was my first visit to New Orleans. Some friends suggested to go during French Quarter Fest and also recommended the Hotel St. Marie. It is a very nice hotel and close to everything. It is a few blocks off Bourbon so not as noisy I would think too. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The restaurant was great one night and then we had a bad experience a few nights later that was quickly resolved. I would definitely stay here again on another visit.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank iufanslw
Reviewed June 18, 2007

This is the second time I have stayed at the Saint Marie and just as the first time in August of 2006 it was more than I expected compared to others i have stayed at with similar rates.

I was extremely pleased with the large room and how friendly the housekeeping staff was as well as the people runnig the front desk. I have stayed in New Orleans before and have also lived there many years ago but noticed that the past couple of years that the people in general of New Orleans seem very friendly. Maybe that is because I have become accustomed to the behavior of the some of the people in South Florida which tends to be rude and unfriendly. I guess living somewhere where the hospitality people are as friendly makes you notice the friendliness of the people of New Orleans more.

I used the hotel's website to book my reservations and was surprised to find such a great low rate of $69 for weekdays and $89. for the Friday and Saturday nights. We had plenty of towels and they were good ones and not the thin cheap ones you get at other places. The front desk staff people, I don't remember their names but one was a short black women during the day and a young white man at night and they both we overly helpful with directions, especially with getting public transportation to the zoo since the St. Charles street car was not running.

I would definetely reccomend this hotel to others as its location is excellent being between Bourbon and Dauphine and just a few blocks from Jackson Square.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loydkw
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I arrived at Hotel St Marie at 10.30 on a Saurday night, worn out after travelling over 15 hours from home. As I got out of the taxi I heard the sound of Bourbon Street, half a block away. Check-in was painless and speedy, with very friendly and welcoming staff. I dumped my bags and followed the noise. It was a wonderful introduction to New Orleans and over the next three days I enjoyed fantastic hospitality, both at the hotel and around town.

The bed was very comfortable and the room, whilst on the basic side, was more than adequate. I must admit I never turned on the TV and only discovered they have a mini-swimming pool when I was about to depart! Bathroom and shower were fine. The best two things about the hotel were the location and the staff. The location could not be improved on - just far enough from the frenetic activity of Bourbon Street to be allow a quiet feel and yet only a few seconds off what must register as the epi-centre of the French Quarter. The staff were universally friendly and helpful - say hi to Desiree, who serves breakfast and enjoys finding our about her visitors.

If you've never been to New Orleans and you like music, wonderful food, attractive eclectic architecture and a wonderful combination of simultaneously laid-back and zesty people then this is a place to consider.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank K21r
Reviewed May 30, 2007

What a perfect location.. After working with the Red Cross during Katrina, my daughter spent her 21st birthday at the Prince Conti (a sister hotel) in the French Quarter and vowed when she got married, this was going to be the destination. In November, she got engaged and we went on line to make reservations. The Prince Conti could not accomodate us for her time frame, however, the Marie could and the rest was history.

The staff was wonderful in making sure all family/friends were located on the same floor with balconies facing the quarter. Sitting out on the balconies listening to the music coming from the corner establishment was fabulous. The room sizes were perfect. My daughter, her 2 friends and myself shared a suite and it was awlsome.

Whatever we needed, they were happy to accomodate us. We had alot of fun and they seemed to enjoy the family and friends who decided to get a tatoo in honor of the bride.

We are planning to go back next year around the same time(week after Mardi Gras) and we will definetly stay there.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank hotrodzcat
Reviewed May 25, 2007

This hotel was recommended to us by a Tourist Information Center in Baton Rouge. The price was what initially got our attention--$49/night for a hotel in the French Quarter (during the week of course)! The hotel staff were incredibly warm, friendly and helpful. They recommended great restaurants, things to do while we were there, and gave us directions to places we asked. I do not know when I have seen better customer service in a hotel.

The rooms were nice--very clean, large and comfortable. The hotel location is great as well. I definitely will be back to visit my new friends at the Hotel St. Marie!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple