Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #61 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 25, 2007

Hotel St. Marie was the perfect place to stay during our trip to New Orleans. It's one block off of Bourbon St. where all the hottest bars and nightlife are located. The hotel has a quaint atmosphere and the staff is amazing. I lost my luggage on the flight down and the front desk called me at 2:00 am to tell me it had arrived and then delivered it to my room!! Without them I would have been pantyless the entire rest of the trip!!! They also were great help with getting taxi's (to the Sugar Bowl-5 min taxi ride), recommending restaurants, and other places to see and tour. I wouldn't recommend any other place to stay then Hotel St Marie when you plan a trip to New Orleans!!!

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Jamers513
Write a ReviewReviews (1,947)

Reviewed January 24, 2007

We love this little hotel. We had a balcony room overlooking the street and it was a little noisy but not so bad. Our only negative comment is the room needed better housekeeping. Great location. Great staff.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank ARTravelers
Reviewed January 22, 2007

Stayed January 12-14 for a music festival in the Quarter. Our room was booked as a balcony facing the street, but we got one facing the courtyard instead. That was fine with me due to noise. We had no noise at all, while our friends, who had a room facing the street at ground level could hear every noise from outside. And it was a LOT of noise. Kept them up all night.
The rooms were very large and nice. No problems with water pressure or hot water. Bell and valet were great. Front desk was friendly and very helpful with directions.
We ate at Hillerys on Friday at 6:00 PM. I should have known something was wrong when the place was deserted on a Friday night. The food was way way overpriced, and while tasted OK, there was no food on the plate! I mean hardly anything. I ordered the venison meatloaf and it was the size of a cell phone, with a teaspoon size portion of mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. Then there was 3 green beans as "vegetable medley" All 4 meals were the same size portions, meaning SMALL. I left and went for a burger because I was still hungry.
I wanted to try their breakfast, based on reports here, but was afraid to. Instead went to the Coffee Pot a few blocks away and it was fantastic at only slightly higher than normal prices.

Oh yes, the beds at St. Marie were comfortable. I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WMiller86
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We recently stayed a long weekend at the Hotel St. Marie and loved every minute of it! The staff was terrific, helpful and friendly. Breakfast at the hotel was wonderful and the lounge staff was great.

Our room's balcony faced the beautifully landscaped court yard and with the property being located 1/2 block from Bourbon Street, it was very quiet. The hotel was EASILY within walking distance to any place in the French Quarters you would wish to visit as well as the Riverwalk and downtown. Our group of 13 loved our stay so much that we have already agreed our next annual get-together will be held here again.

Can't wait till next year!!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Helen272756
Reviewed January 10, 2007

i have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past 2 years. i met john zaleski when he was a bar tender prior to katrina. i was happy to reutrn on 12/26 to see that he was there and thankfully, alive. he was front desk clerk and gave the same personable service that he had given as a bar tender. i was there 3 days and he always called me by name when i walked through the lobby. the entire staff was friendly. i also have to say that the current bar tender greg pierre was extemely friendly and personable. he was always interested in what i had been doing during the day and what i had bought and where i had been. i am one of those people who will continually go to establishments based on the employees and how i am treated. this is true here in nashville as well as when i go out of town. for years i went to a competitor hotel close to this location for the same reason until it changed hands and i had a safety issue at the pool where neither the staff on duty or corporate managment appeared concerned. it cost them my business and i am sure; other business. i will continue to stay at the hotel st. marie. i could relate other postive experiences but i am sure anyone reading this is tired of listening to me.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed from Thursday, December 7 through Sunday the 10th prior to our cruise. The location was great, one block north of Bourbon Street, right in the middle of the Quarter. We walked just about everywhere. Cab fare from the airport is $28 to the French Quarter for two people. The cabs use a fixed rate system, eliminating confusion. You can take a shuttle as well, but that only saves about $2. We received the room type we reserved (reservations were done through their website, which had the best rate at the time). We had a balcony on the fourth floor overlooking the courtyard.
We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant twice, which was really good.
The guest elevator was broken while we were there, so we had to use the small service elevator. We noticed a strong musty smell when you got off the elevator, but it dissipated as we walked away from the elevator. Water pressure was low as others have stated, but it wasn't that big a deal. Our room was the last in the hallway, around a corner, so it was fairly quiet.
The room was cleaned promptly each day. The service at the checkin/out was average.
We recommend eating at the Red Fish Grill on Bourbon Street, which is west of the hotel. Excellent service and great food. Approx. $60+ for 2.
We listed to some great jazz at a little place on Bourbon Street, which was west of the hotel as well. No admin fee, but 1 (expensive) drink minimum.
Although we checked several websites, call ahead about tours as a lot of places have scaled back due to the season, not just because of the Hurricane.
Overall, the hotel is nothing fancy, but it was good value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kim-in-indy
Reviewed January 3, 2007

The Hotel St Marie was a very nice place to stay. It is located practically in the middle of the full length of Bourbon St. This allowed for the option of going either East or West on this street where a good part of the action was. No need to walk from one end of Bourbon to the other since you are right smack in the middle! Walking everywhere in the French Quarter was possible and you never felt too far from the hotel at the same time.

The central lobby was beautiful and welcoming.

The room itself was nicely tidied up upon my daily departures into town. Don't forget to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door or you will be disturbed by an eager-to-please housekeeping staff! Fresh and fancily folded towels were set in place also. TV/remote/light switches/coffee maker all operable.

While the water pressure in the shower was less than gratifying, this would not be reason enough to not revisit this cozy old structure upon a return visit. The facilities were exceptionally clean and operable.

If not for the rain on my visit, I would have used the balcony wrought iron table and chairs more often.

The courtyard pool was nicely cared for and was a welcoming place to be with all the tables, chairs and foilage.

The desk help was very courteous and helpful in my first visit to The Big Easy. In fact, the entire staff from the desk to the porter to the bar keeps were very accomodating.

I would recommend the St Marie to anyone as a centrally located, well kept and reasonably priced accommodation to anyone!

Stayed: December 2006