“Some good things but really pretty average” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #56 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Navarre, Florida
“Some good things but really pretty average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2006

This is a hard review for me to write. I research my trips carefully and am usually able to give glowing reviews. I normally keep quiet when I am disappointed. However, since the St. Marie is rated the third best hotel in New Orleans, I feel that I need to let other travelers know what to expect.

We visited the Hotel St. Marie for my birthday. It was our first trip to New Orleans post-Katrina. I'll start with the good.

Management and staff - Kudos, Kudos, Kudos to the manager. For reasons described below, we requested a meeting with the manager. I really hate that I forgot his name (sorry) but he was wonderful. He met with us quickly, took our complaints seriously, and took appropriate action. He even followed up with us a couple of times. It was obvious that he works very hard and takes pride in his work. The Hotel St. Marie is very lucky to have him. Also during our stay, we talked to at least three different people at the front desk. They were all great. They were friendly and helpful.

Location - As other reviews have noted, the location is fabulous. Easy walking distance to anywhere in the French Quarter and crawling distance from Bourbon Street. We did not experience the noise that other reviews mentioned but our room was on the courtyard side.

The average - I think I expected too much because of the high ranking of this hotel and the price that we paid. The room was very ordinary. There were none of the special amenities that I am used to receiving in small boutique hotels. The bedspread was worn and tired-looking. We paid extra for a room with a balcony. The balcony was a joke. It was about the size of a postage stamp and completely covered by a palm tree (we were on the second floor). Even to open the door, you had to fight off palm fronds. Most of the balcony rooms (including ours) did not have chairs on the balcony probably because the balconies were too small.

I could not sleep very well the first night because the mildew smell in the room was bothering my allergies. When I mentioned it to the manager the next day, he said they had a "machine" they could put in the room that should help. It worked great! When we returned in the evening, the mildew smell was gone. I wish I would have complained the first day.

The reason that we were talking to the manager is because the second morning (and all day) we could not take a shower. The water company told him they were working on a 30-inch main and the problem was all over the French Quarter. However, we talked to several people while we were out and about who did not have problems at their hotels. We did have a little bit of water coming out ...not enough pressure to get to the shower but enough for a sponge bath. The manager did adjust our rate for the second night and sent a bottle of champagne to our room. I believe he did everything he could to try to make a bad situation better.

I think my major complaint is about the price (before the adjustment). Our rate was $149 for the balcony room plus 13% tax and a lame $1.00 per night occupany tax. It also cost $24.20 per night to park our car which I consider to be a complete ripoff. For that much money, I expected a lot more.

I wish the Hotel St. Marie all the best although I would only stay there again if I could get a much better price.

• Liked — hotel staff is great!
  • Disliked — The price
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared for taxes and add-ons
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank cakes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Marshall, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

Stayed at Hotel St. Marie Sept. 26 thru Sept. 30 and was well pleased with handicapped accomodations and the hotel's employees. They went above and beyond to be sure we had a great stay!!! Will definately stay there again.

• Liked — The service and location.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Caneriver01
Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2006

* Our all-in cost for a suite on Friday and Saturday nights (2 nights) was about $300. This included $250 for the room inclusive of taxes (quoted rate was about $110 a night without taxes) and approx. $45 for two days parking on sight inclusive of taxes. Note that the rate on the suite was obtained at their website and was lower because we prepaid in advance.

* I give all the detail to say that this is very reasonable for a suite in the Quarter on a weekend with parking.

* The parking is on site and very convenient, although we did have to walk through from the main hotel through the entrance to the parking facility to get to our room. My wife noted that this did not seem all that safe, because someone could easily walk the 150 feet from Toulouse and be in our hallway. Not a big deal to me, but might be to some.

* The two suites on the lower floor are nice with very high ceilings. Nothing spectacular, but roomy and clean, which is nice.

* Biggest complaint, and it is understandable, was the noise in this room. The "window" is actually a door, which appears to be permanantly closed, onto Toulouse. You are about 1/2 block from Bourbon in this room and one of the loudest 80's rock bars in the Quarter is on the corner on Bourbon. You have to realize you are near Bourbon when you check into this hotel, thus you also have to realize that if you want peaceful sleep this is probably not the room for it. Loud music to the early hours and drunks on the street after that. We recognized where we were and accepted it, but you need to be aware. I think there are probably many quieter rooms in the hotel, but there will always be partyers in the hotel and you might be next to them.

* Service was accomadating and reasonably speedy, even though the hotel seemed a little understaffed (this is common in NO right now and patience is all that is needed).

* There will be a glitch here and there, but for the price, I believe you just overlook them and have fun. The couple in front of us at checkout complained about college kids on their floor keeping them up all night and the desk clerk gave them their parking free. YOU ARE 1/2 BLOCK FROM BOURBON. Be aware of that when you book the hotel. There will be some noise and partying going on. If you want quite, stay farther from the action.

* Overall, a nice experience and would stay again. This is one of those hotels where you just need to find a room you really like and request it every time. I don't think you will be disappointed with a stay at the St. Marie.

• Liked — Clean and roomy (suite).
  • Disliked — Little loud (understandable).
  • Tips/Secrets — Know that the suites will probably be a little loud if you are in bed before 12 or 1.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MSJJ
Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

I stayed at this hotel August 15th though 20th and found it wonderful. The staff are friendly and always very willing to help out. For the 5 nights I stayed at the St. Marie I did not have one unpleasant experience. Perfect distance from Bourbon. Hillery's is a great little restaurant downstairs off the lobby, and the bartenders down there are fun to shoot the breeze with. Rooms were very clean and room service came everyday. This is a hotel with plenty of New Orleans charm coming from both the people who work there and the building itself . New Orleans is alive and well!! I will definately be returning in the future to visit the city again and will without doubt stay at the St. Marie.

• Liked — staff, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book directly through hotel website for best rates
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
8 Thank Solfiez
Bumphuck, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2006

Indoor valet parking on site allows you to forget about any hassles getting in or out of your Hotel.

On site resturant provides better than avarage Cajun, creole and contempoary cusine at fair prices for the location.

Courtyard pools offer warm relaxing mellow downs between juants to 1/2 Block away Burbon street and the rest of New Orlean's unique myriad of clubs, watering holes, bistros and music houses.

The facilities are CLEAN!, The whole eatablisment has a clean smell to it without seeming to have to resort to any air enhancers, or incense.

Rooms are clean, modest but they are spotless and hooked uo to the brim with coffee, soaps and the like. Beds are comfortable and have nice linens.

Overall, I've gave it a 4 out of five stars. Next time in the Big Easy there really will be a big n easy decision for us on where to stay.

Location, value and ambiance make this the best Hotel value in the area. We will be back soon.

• Liked — They care about your investment with them
  • Disliked — I had to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Help New Orleans rebuild herself.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Graveling_Trome
atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2006

this hotel was outstanding... no complaints. very close to bourbon st... everything went as advertised.

Stayed August 2006
4 Thank southsideslim
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

Stayed at the Hotel St Marie Aug 13th and 14th. It was great! Everything I read about it is true. The staff are very friendly. Room was really clean. And the hotel its self sits about a half block from Bourbon St. I highly recommend this hotel. I cant wait to go back to NOLA. I just wont do it again in Aug. Way to hot!!! I mean melting hot! But it still was a good trip!

• Liked — Great Beds. Location.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo