“Outstanding Hotel in its class!”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #58 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles
“Outstanding Hotel in its class!”
Reviewed June 2, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel St. Marie from May 23 to May 28. We came to N.O. on a Mini-Honeymoon and I have to say we were more than pleased with this hotel and its staff. In fact, I was downright elated.

We made our reservations in March and got a rate of $69 per night (increasing to $159 on Friday). we were a bit skeptical because of the low price, but I'd say 90 percent of the reviews on TripAdvisor were good and the location in the quarter was great (you could throw a stone to Bourbon St.), so we decided to take the chance. I knew we weren't in for anything luxurious, but I expected it to be clean and comfortable with functional amenities.

Two days before our trip I called the St. Marie to confirm the reservation and told them we would be on our honeymoon. I knew our rate didn't guarantee a balcony, but based on TripAdvisor reviews I requested a room with windows that open. (Many rooms on the fifth floor have sealed windows). The clerk was nice and said she would do her best.

When we arrived we found out that we had been upgraded to a suite! It was an awesome surprise, considering our low rate. The suite was not in the main hotel, but in an adjoining structure that dates to the 1830s. Again, it wasn't luxurious as suites normally go, but the room was very big with a kitchen, full sized fridge, a breakfast nook, microwave and glasses, plates and silverware. As a result, we were able to take home all of our leftovers from the great restaurants and eat them at 3 a.m.! It was awesome. (See my trip report for details on dining and tours).

We also had a queen-sized, four-poster bed, a walk in closet and a balcony overlooking the courtyard. Our entrance was private, so it was very quiet. The tub and tile in the bathroom were very clean, as was the carpet. We had no problems going barefoot.

Sure, a little bit of the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling, the tops of the nightstands were scraped and needed refinishing, the television was small and the armoir had seen better days, but everything worked, everything was clean and we had plenty of space and amenities.

The only real complaint we had was the fridge motor got a bit noisy randomly in the middle of the night.

Also, we found the hotel staff to be quite pleasant, and in fact quite informative and humorous. The courtyard in the main hotel was not large, but provided a nice place to relax after a long day of walking. We didn't try the pool, although it didn't look quite as dingy as had been described in other reviews.

We also didn't try either of their restaurants, Hillery's or Bistro Moise, not because they didn't look good, but because we already had our dining places mapped out. We will definitely try them on our next trip.

I know we got a bit lucky during our first stay at the St. Marie, but we also got to take a peek at their standard and deluxe rooms, which looked just as clean and comfortable. The bottom line is, there are certainly more luxurious places to stay in the quarter, but if you're on a budget like we were, I guarantee you will be pleased with the St. Marie. In fact, I would say you might even have a better time at the St. Marie than some of the more expensive hotels in the Quarter which can be impersonal and annoying. The St. Marie is very pleasant with a wonderful atmosphere of classic New Orleans.

We won't be staying anywhere else, unless we decide to splurge on the
Omni Royal.

My hat is off to the Valentino New Orleans Hotel Group, which owns the property. Thank you for a pleasant and memorable stay!

11 Thank cobalt1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2005

The St Marie was alovely hotel, with big rooms. It is one half block from Bourbon St. on Toulouse st. A great location . We found the best laid back restaurant on the northwest corner of toulouse and Decauter. The food was great and very well priced. The two dollar and fifty cent salad was incredible, as was the sandwich my husband got. The waitress at the bar was a hoot. We went back three times. It does get really busy so avoid the lunch and dinner crowd. The best oysters we found was at Felix's on Bourbon street, just don't ask to watch " American Idol". It was a fun place and the prices were good. An all day bus and streetcar pass was $5.00. We got ours at the park on Toulouse and Decauter. It is a great way to get around on those busy streets.We went to the cemeteries, garden district. Magazine Street, as well as a Mall. They come all the time so you don't have to wait very long.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
buffalo ny
Reviewed May 31, 2005

We just returned from spending four nights at the Hotel St. Marie. We traveled with four couples and the Hotel St. Marie is in a great location - one block from Bourban Street! There is a small mini-market next to the hotel that sells everything from wine to snacks. We had rooms with wrought iron balconies that overlooked the beautiful courtyard and pool. After long days of sightseeing, we sat in the courtyard area at night and had a few bottles of wine. Very relaxing! The hotel staff was marvelous! They answered all of our questions and recommended sightseeing tours and restaurants. Based on their recommendation, we went to Petunia's restaurant (just around the corner) and the food was spectacular. The hotel is just a few steps away from great restaurants, bars and shopping.

We took a one hour carriage ride for eight that was fantastic. Tamara gave us a tour of the city and the cemetary.
On our own, we went to Cafe Du Monde for their famous beignets and went to the French Market. We took a riverboat jazz dinner cruise and we had a great time. The buffet was delicious and the lights of the city at night were spectacular.

This hotel is a little gem in the big city of New Orleans!

5 Thank shoegal302
Newbury, England
Reviewed May 31, 2005

My Wife & I stayed here from 25th May for 4 nights & found the hotel excellent, the staff friendly & helpful, the location ideal.
We would definately stay here again.

4 Thank hq014
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 20, 2005

The pictures that are listed on the Hotel St. Marie's website tell a very different tale than what is actually going on at this mediocre hotel. The staff was not friendly, and although we booked our stay months in advance, we were given a room right next to the garage. The smell of gas and fumes was enough to upset us the first day-until we learned that the only other room was on a smoking floor! (We chose cigarette smoke over gasoline fumes.) I had to go downstairs every time I needed a towel and the ice machine was broken. The stay could have still inspired fond memories if the staff had been at least a little nice. Not a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 18, 2005

I just spent a weekend at the Hotel St. Marie and found it to be a good choice overall. Its location in the middle of the French Quarter is terrific, though the noise from the bars on Bourbon Street may be heard from those rooms on that side of the hotel.
My only quibble would be that my room on the third floor was pretty dim even with the curtains open and all the lights turned on. Otherwise, it was generally clean, nice and a good value for the price.

4 Thank PaulDallas_Texas
London, UK
Reviewed May 9, 2005

I stayed here for 5 nights last week and have no complaints at all. The hotel was beautiful, a little bit shabby but that just added to the charm. Although it is only half a block from Bourbon Street, once I was in my room, I couldn't hear a thing. The hotel restaurant, Hillarys, is wonderful and the staff very attentive, not to mention how good the food is. In fact, I found all the hotel staff to be pleasant, friendly and helpful. Had a fantastic time in New Orleans and as a single female travelling alone, I also felt very safe. Nearly forgot, the courtyard/garden is very pretty and smelt wonderful with all the plants. Would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

5 Thank linda789