“Center of the Quarter; Enjoyed our stay”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #58 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Look, I know you've read the other reviews. But here's the thing: you've got a lot of choices in NOLA. Choose a location that will work for what you want to do. If you want to be central to the quarter, then the St. Marie works fine. Yes, the place has seen better days, but that's typical with many city hotels. You are not paying top dollar.
We found the desk service to be fine overall. Everyone was responsive to us and if there was a problem there were quick to address it and apologize. But there was nothing material.
We enjoyed the location, the rate was good and the room was fine. We spent almost no time there (sleeping and getting ready), so it wasn't much of a concern.
But this is typical of many older Quarter hotels including the St. Louis, Richelieu, and other older properties. I've enjoyed them all and will continue to explore this incredible area.

Room Tip: We were in 323; a suite; roomy and an balcony facing the courtyard. We liked it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Allen727286
Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have been coming to New Orleans for once a year for several years now. Hotel St. Marie is our usual hotel unless it is full. Though I would never call it a five star hotel, the quality of this hotel has certainly gone down over the years. If your room is out by the patio area, you have to deal with other hotel customers using the area to smoke. Additionally, the doors to the room have windows and just a shear curtain hangs. I felt very exposed in this room. We visited with friends in another area of the hotel and a couple with kids were fighting non stop. It felt sketchy to me. Hope management can get it together.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex area!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Hotel St. Marie is ideally located a block off Bourbon in the center of the French Quarter. Bayona (amazing restaurant - get reservations) is just around the corner. The non-affiliated yet adjoining bar/cafe, Vacherie, is wonderful for the last drink of the evening or a delicious egg and cheese croissant with excellent coffee to get you going in the morning. The hotel staff is usually friendly and helpful. The rooms are shabby with icky carpet and peeling wallpaper and uninspired soaps/amenities, but sometimes this doesn't matter and you just need a place to crash. The doors slam loudly and you can hear everything in the hallway, so bring earplugs. There is a pool which would be a great plus in summer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I feel like I write all my reviews in a fair manner. I realize no hotel, restaurant, or destination is perfect. With that said, here's my thorough review of the Hotel St. Marie and why I would highly recommend you staying somewhere else. We are a married couple in our 50's. We booked a two night stay at this hotel pre-cruise. Yes, the location is close to the "action", and the noise of Bourbon street is not a problem in the evening when you are trying to rest.

We arrived on a Thursday afternoon. The hotel is located on a side street and within a few feet of everything. The lobby is old and dated. It's very small and there isn't a lot of seating for those that want to wait for their room, etc. We headed to the front desk and the lady behind the desk kept typing away on her computer. She was the only person working. After standing there for a few mins, we finally said "excuse me" and then she offered to help us. She advised us that our room was not available and that it wouldn't be ready till 4:00 or a little later (check in is at 4). She stated that housekeeping may be at lunch. My thought was don't they hire enough staff so someone is working while others are having lunch? No real friendliness here whatsoever. She said she'd call us, but as it turned out, she never did. We were told we could leave our luggage and have it checked in, so that's what we did. However, after we tipped the individual taking our luggage, we noticed a bit later that the luggage was still sitting there unattended. Not a comforting feeling.

A little after 4:00 we were given our keys and proceeded to our room. We were led a thru the parking garage, thru some back alley way to our door. Oh my, how dirty the hallway leading to this area was. The carpets were ripped and very very dirty. Our room faced a back patio area that was very creepy. From the condition of the outside of our door leading to the room, I didn't think the inside experience was going to get any better. The furniture is very outdated and falling apart. We had an armoire that had broken drawers, two nightstands beside the bed that were old and stained. The bed was small and from the looks of the comforter on the bed, it hadn't been cleaned in some time. Needless to say this immediately went off the bed. The carpet was worn and very soiled and the colors may lead to a severe headache. I will say there was a large walk in closet with a safe. Plenty of storage space in this area, and ironically, this looked to be a better place to sleep then the actual bed.

The bathroom had stains on the sink from what I would say were guests that used the sides of the sink as an ashtray. The sink was very outdated and extremely low! You felt like a giant standing over it. I'm only 5' 2' and this sink was situated on the vanity very very low. There's a tub and shower with a very cheap curtain. The tub had stains in it as well. The toiletries they leave for you to use are bottom of the barrell cheap. The towels and bed linens are of dollar general quality. The bathroom also had many stains on the moulding and ceiling.

There was a sitting chair by the bed that looked as though it has seen better days.

As stated, outside our room was a back terrace. This is not the same one that situates the swimming pool. To give a better visual, it looks like an ugly alley way. The first morning I stepped out into this area while my husband was getting dressed and saw the largest rat you could imagine. After seeing this, we went to the front desk and asked that our room not be serviced that day. I had noticed that the cleaning people had other doors propped open to clean them and I didn't want to end up with a rat in our room. By the way, the second morning I saw another rat in this same area.

The walls are paper thin in this hotel. You WILL hear your neighbors every move. I was awakened the first night around 3:30 to guests that were above us arriving and hitting the walls, etc. Thirty mins later I could hear their entire "session"...yuck! the following night I laid awake hearing our neighbor next door snooring.

I don't feel the staff care about people returning to this hotel. They don't seem to be concerned about your needs, etc., at all. I feel they know they will book rooms based on their location and get top dollar for it. After exploring a little during the day, we decided if we should return to New Orleans, we will stay in the business district, where you are still very close to all the sights and action and flare that New Orleans has to offer.

I will do a separate review on the lounge and restaurant in this hotel. Which I found out is not affiliated with the hotel, must be why they were top notch!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank thealee
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is a very quaint hotel in a great area, half a block off Bourbon, so quiet at night. The front desk staff was very helpful, very nice. The bar was the best in town. Tom & Suz are awesome! The food was unexpectedly very good as well. We ate in the restaurant, at the cafe & had appetizers at the bar...all were great. So, my not so great experience...once you leave the first floor, things go sour. The rooms were smaller than pictured, the bed was "ok". We asked for extra pillows and another blanket & got a blanket with holes in it. We were at the very end of the hallway, next to the emergency exit & maids storage closet. A small child was running up & down the staircase, the maids were loud & woke us up. I had paid a little more for the courtyard view. What we saw was the backyards of 2 homes and Dauphine street, which is behind the hotel. We could "see" the courtyard if we looked down and to the left. Had I not paid extra for this, I really wouldn't have cared. We asked if there were any other rooms available, of course there weren't. As charming as the hotel was, the rooms just didn't live up to the standards I would expect .

Room Tip: Take a room with 2 doubles, the rooms appeared to be larger & better located.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hotel St. Marie has all the disappointments one comes to expect in a Vieux Carre place of lodging. Filthy, gooey carpets, things peeling off the walls in the bathroom, claustraphobic hallways/rooms and a bed that encourages intimacy because you both roll together in the middle.

If I was paying a full premium price for my room I would be ticked off. But I didn't as I grabbed the post Mardi Gras special at less than $90 bucks a night and only $15 a day for parking. Despite all the sub-standards, I still was happy with my stay.

Why? You give the keys to the valet at the parking garage and you NEVER need your car again while in town. You can walk virtually anywhere in the Quarter in ten minutes so your never in your room anyways. Nothing beats staying in the heart of the Quarter knowing your just blocks away from your little rat hole at the St. Marie and that adds to your trip in so many ways.

Room Tip: Stay off the upper floors and especially the 5th floor which is a converted attic with windows paint...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Had a good experience at the St. Marie at very reasonable price. When I mentioned condition of beds, management assured me they will all be replaced this spring. Overlooked treasure. Great location in the Quarter. Bar. Restaurant and deli on site. Gracous staff. Will stay at St. Marie on next NOLA trip.

Room Tip: Ask for room in new section with balcony overlooking pool. Street balcony may be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends