“Great hotel!”

Ranked #61 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Comfort, West Virginia
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We've been staying in the French Quarter for the last 9 yrs or so. Hotel St. Marie has been one of the best so far. The location is wonderful, so close to the action of everything. We were impressed with the size of the room itself, it was larger than any of the others we have stayed in. We were quite pleased with our choice this year by staying at Hotel St. Marie. The staff was very helpful & informative in anything we needed. I was somewhat worried after reading some of the reviews, I'm glad I didn't let any of the negative reviews sway my decision. I found the bed to be comfortable, the bathroom area was great. We never went to the bar or restaurant so cant comment on that. We only had the tv on once so no complaints there. The walls are thin so you do hear other people, tvs or doors but out of the other 8 hotels we've stayed at in New Orleans they've all been like that. I would recommend this hotel to everybody. I want to thank them for such a great stay this year. We look forward to staying again. A few things to keep in mind is what hotel is perfect? and no matter what you can't satisfy everyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NikkiM87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
New Jersey
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here 10 years ago and it's quite evident that in time in between, they have not invested any money back into the rooms. The beds were very uncomfortable, room appeared dirty but think it was just dingy. The bathrom door gave no privacy, the mirror chipping and so on. The service given by front desk, bar and restaurants was very good. You can't beat the location, just a block from Bourbon St., but quiet enough for the noise not to bother you. So, if you're just heading there to party, it might be a good choice. Not sure I'd stay there again myself though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manheim, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Everything was great from the service, food, cleanliness to a great location.
For the price you can't beat it. We had a great time.
The only minor set back is the doors in the hotel.
You can't close your room door quiet. We aren't late nighters which is what makes the location so great. A couple times we were just starting to drift off at night and a neighbors door would slam and startle us. We couldn't even shut our door quietly no matter how we tried.
Again this is so minor I'm not sure I should mention it but I did.

3 Thank GREG E
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Nice historic hotel with most amenities just a 1/2 block from Bourbon Street. My room was modest, but nicely furnished in Victorian style. Very clean, but somewhat dated. Restaurant Vacherie served a very good Creole breakfast. The lovely courtyard is a major feature, but it rained while I was there, so I didn't spend any time in it. As with all Valentino hotels, the bedding is never up to snuff. Other than that I had little to complain about, since the price coveried all shortcomings. Valet parking on-site is a bargain at $28 per night. Nice staff.

Easily recommended for value-conscious travellers.

Room Tip: Balconiy rooms available on the noisy street side and the quiet courtyard side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Nedntxk
Netherlands
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I am amazed at the positive reviews of this place. We had a booking here through hotwire in October and the room assigned to us had a water leak:

There was a non-stop drip into the room - after an initial complaint a maintenance person came
- who clearly indicated he had looked at this before and had told management that it was NOT resolved and that it could not be resolved at short notice. This means:
1) This is a safety hazard - there is a long term moist environment and the whole room smelt of moistness and fungus/mildew
2) management was aware of this problem and put is in this room knowing the state of the room from a comfort and safety perspective

After this I asked for a different room - hotel was full so where sister properties. This can happen off course - but there was plenty of availability in the area - NOTHING was done to arrange anything for us - literally NOTHING (I have never never been treated so disrespectfully as a client by the responsible manager there - travel to communist countries has shown a higher regard for basic economic rationality and customer focus).

We decided to leave on our own accord and booked into the Marriot in New Orleans (Great Experience for an additional 20 USD!!!) and informed Hotwire that the hotel was refusing us accommodation in an acceptable room. And you would think it could get not get worst - you are wrong.

They now tried to keep hotwire out of the loop with some blah blah about that it would take months for me to get my money back - I should let them refund it directly. This suggestion came when they called the offsite manager (1st time in the process!!!!)! So there would be no registration at Hotwire of the hotel not meeting the Hotwire contract terms and being liable for the compensation Hotwire owes me. This was the valuable suggestion of the off site manager of this clearly client focused property.

As a clear proof of the above - Hotwire refunded in a matter of days and covered all additional costs and provided the 1st apology in this whole process - they have not confirmed they have stopped doing business with this dangerous and fraudulent hotel but hope they are taking this into account.

I have not provided many 1 star reviews (only one previously I believe) but I feel bad for that property now - this deserves a 0!. To give you an indication of how serious we took this - we spent time the next day lodging a formal complaint with the health authorities in new orleans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Esploratore
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Recommended to us by our Travel Agent, who knows her business. The St. Marie was just what we wanted. Large, quiet room with balcony over courtyard near the swimming pool. King-sized bed.

Front Desk service was always very helpful, especially John Marshall.

Major PLUS: GREAT location 2 blocks from Royal Street & close, but not too close, to Bourbon Street. Easy walking to riverfront and all parts of French Quarter. Few Blocks from the St. Louis Cathedral and its surrounding artists.

Restaurant served excellent breakfasts, including fresh fruit cup and one of the largest, fluffiest (homemade) biscuits ever. Lounge has good service, TV over bar, and long-duration happy hour. Reasonable prices for the room, at the restaurant and the lounge.

"Cons": 1 elevator for about 102 rooms; in-room TV was not HD, and (if needed) on-the-premises parking was $31 per day.

The photos excellently depict a real sense of the hotel and its location. etc.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the courtyard and is on a hallway that is away from the elevator (such as room...
1 Thank N1TP
Lewiston, Maine
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hotel just OK, location was the main factor. Situated in the French quarters just around the corner to Bourbon Street and Pat Obrien pub. All the action at night is in that area. Not to scare anyone as it could happen anywhere, but in the morning I learned that there was a robbery at gunpoint in front of the hotel. It is situated on a side street and not as visible as a larger hotel, so that could be a setback. Otherwise, it was comfortable and clean and the desk was helpful in getting us a taxi to bring us to the cruise terminal. Not really a place if you have kids.

Room Tip: Just an overnighter, if needed longer I would look elsewhere.