“Stole my property and then treated me terribly” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Sonesta New Orleans

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #25 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Evanston, Illinois
“Stole my property and then treated me terribly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for two nights for a Bachelorette Party. On Saturday afternoon I mistakenly left my wedding rings on the bathroom counter after applying sunscreen. Two hours later, when I returned from lunch, my wedding band was there but my diamond engagement ring was gone. The cleaning staff had just, five minutes prior to our return, finished cleaning our room. We spoke with hotel security who came up and took notes and eventually we called the police. The worst part was that the hotel staff seemed not to think this was an incident worth their time. One of the assistant managers even yelled at us to return to our room while we waited for the police in the hallway. The hotel manager on duty when we checked out characterized it as an accident and not a theft. How is it possible that an accident occurred with just one of two rings? We even had them take the piping under the sink apart to look for the ring with no luck. When I came to this site to write this review, I notice a similar one from 2005. I wish I had read that review before I went on my trip. My experience seemed exactly the same. I got the feeling the hotel was just hoping I would stop calling or would leave town and forget that this occurred. They also did not apologize, even for yelling at us and treating us like we were insane to be accusing the cleaning staff. You tell me, when the hotel can tell us only our key cards and the maid's had accessed our room, who else were we to blame/accuse? I will never stay at a Sonesta hotel again. My experience was so bad. If you stay here, use the safe in the room and don't forget to take all of your valuables with you. If you have a problem expect the hotel staff to be rude, accusatory, and incompetent.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank MM_Excursions

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

My experience with Royal Sonesta is of a quality four-star hotel right in the middle of the action on Barboun Street. My "Regular" room had the level of comfort I would expect from a four-star accommodation, with comfortable bed, quality linens, clean bathroom, good (though not great) shower, safebox and minibar. My room overlooked an inner courtyard so the Barboun Street noice did not reach me at all. The pool, on a nice inner terrace, afforded good relax during wake hours, though it got very crowded during certain peak hours. Service at the reception desk was fast and efficient. Concierge provided good advices. Covered parking was extra at $30 per day. All in all, good value for money if looking for a quality accommodation in the French Quarter. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank gdilieto
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon street. This was our first trip to New Orleans...what an experience...anybody who is hesitating to go and visit..don't heistate and go and have a good time...the hotel is very nice, the pool-very refreshing from the heat, the staff are nice, the location is the best,walking distance to everything. The rooms were clean, and the lobby was huge. I would defintely stay at this hotel again, and recommend it to anyone.....

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RenHamilton
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta for four nights in July. We had chosen New Orleans for our anniversary and decided on the Royal Sonesta based on reviews from TripAdvisor. The hotel was beautiful. Lots of fountains, marble and beautiful flowers and plants. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful during our stay. The room was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the poolside food & drink service. The hotel is right in the heart of the French Quarter and walking everywhere was easy.

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FTPCGE
Weymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

The Royal Sonesta is really a great little hotel right on Bourbon Street. I was surprised at how nice the hotel actually was. The rooms were nice and clean, the balconies were a blast, and the courtyards were well appointed. With orange tree's, a coi pond, and lush tropical plants. There was a large group of us and the hotel was very accommodating. The Door men and Bell men were great. They always had a smile and a joke. Very helpful as well. The AC worked great, and the bed was perfect. We slept very comfortably. We didn't have much of a view, but I'm really not there for my room or a view. I'm there to experience New Orleans, even if it is for just a few days.
The only down sides were: One night we got a cot delivered to our room. We didn't order a cot. When we called down to say we didn't order a cot they said "it happens a lot. Someone probably got rooms numbers messed up." We thought they would come and take it away, but we were wrong. No Big deal. It was just a pain because the room is not that big. So when I woke up the next morning I smashed my ankle on it on the way by. Oh well. The other down side is the pool. Now the pool itself is great. Especially when it's extremely hot and humid out. It is a welcome relief. But it was very cloudy. To the point where you couldn't see the bottom in the shallow end.
Two very minor things. I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BostonMel
Port O'Connor, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

This was a great 3 night trip to the Quarter. First time at the Royal Sonesta. My wife and I loved the location, walking distance to about anything you want to see. The room was excellent. Service was excellent. Pool was excellent. My only recommendation is that you request a room that doesn't overlook Bourbon Street because the party goes until pretty late. We were on Bienville Street and didn't have a problem. Parking is $30 per night with unlimited "In and out". That's a bargain in the Quarter and the parking is in the lower level of the property. Can't say enough about the Royal Sonesta.

• Liked — Location, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaptnBob
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

The Royal Sonesta is a beautiful property with plenty of Old New Orleans architecture and decoration. The dining room is richly and beautifully appointed. The service (at the front desk, in the restaurants,concierge and the doorman) was warm and helpful. Only ate breakfast but it was tasty. There was a jazz lounge where folks were drinking and seemed to have a nice time. The rooms are of average size but comfortable. It was a pretty luxe experience for the $99 price per night for a room with 2 double beds (we were there for a wedding so the rate may have been reduced due to that). UNFORTUNATELY I don' t think I will ever stay here again because of the noise factor. Perhaps its just been too long since I stayed on Bourbon Street but between the noise from the bars on the street and other hotel guests slamming doors and shouting in the halls, it didn't make for a particularly peaceful stay in the evenings. That is a shame because I really enjoyed the hotel itself. Too bad it isn't off "the strip..." its much too good for such common nuisances...

• Liked — Service and decor in resaurant and reception area
  • Disliked — Location ... Bourbon St was too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family