“A+, Perfect Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Port O'Connor, TX
“A+, Perfect Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

This was a great 3 night trip to the Quarter. First time at the Royal Sonesta. My wife and I loved the location, walking distance to about anything you want to see. The room was excellent. Service was excellent. Pool was excellent. My only recommendation is that you request a room that doesn't overlook Bourbon Street because the party goes until pretty late. We were on Bienville Street and didn't have a problem. Parking is $30 per night with unlimited "In and out". That's a bargain in the Quarter and the parking is in the lower level of the property. Can't say enough about the Royal Sonesta.

• Liked — Location, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaptnBob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

The Royal Sonesta is a beautiful property with plenty of Old New Orleans architecture and decoration. The dining room is richly and beautifully appointed. The service (at the front desk, in the restaurants,concierge and the doorman) was warm and helpful. Only ate breakfast but it was tasty. There was a jazz lounge where folks were drinking and seemed to have a nice time. The rooms are of average size but comfortable. It was a pretty luxe experience for the $99 price per night for a room with 2 double beds (we were there for a wedding so the rate may have been reduced due to that). UNFORTUNATELY I don' t think I will ever stay here again because of the noise factor. Perhaps its just been too long since I stayed on Bourbon Street but between the noise from the bars on the street and other hotel guests slamming doors and shouting in the halls, it didn't make for a particularly peaceful stay in the evenings. That is a shame because I really enjoyed the hotel itself. Too bad it isn't off "the strip..." its much too good for such common nuisances...

• Liked — Service and decor in resaurant and reception area
  • Disliked — Location ... Bourbon St was too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank NTTDC
baltimore, maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

beautiful hotel on bourbon street. request a room overlooking the pool because it will be quiet. if you get a room on the bourbon street side, you might not get much sleep depending on how much you had to drink that night. get an early morning bloody mary as an eye opener in the lobby or try the coffee drinks. no problems with the rooms at all.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank littercritter
New York CIty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

Stay here for 8 nights and for the most part it was very enjoyable except for a few monir things that added up. For about 3-4 days the hot water was only luke warm, one day I went out and took off the privacy sign and by 3pm the room was not made up, had to call housekeeping and when I returned at 4pm, it still was not done, had to put in an angry second call to have the room done ASAP. Also one monring I had the privacy sign on and housekeeping still knocked on my door, lucky I was not sleeping.
The location cannot be beat and service/staff is still very good.

• Liked — Service and proximity to Bourbon Street
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Brooklynsolotraveler
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

My fiance' and I just returned for a wonderful 4 night stay at Royal Sonesta. We both really enjoyed the hotel. The location can't be beat.

We had a king bed room that overlooked Bienville Ave. But we could see bit of Bourbon from our window. You could also hear the bands from the bar on the corner, but it didn't bother us at all. The room was kind of small, but we are spoiled after our stay at Chateau Sonesta during Mardi Gras 2006 where we had a huge room overlooking Canal.

There was lots of drawer and closet space. Love the drawers in the bathroom. Also loved that they give you a bottle of bubble bath, however the bathtub isn't really deep enough to enjoy that.

The room safe was very big. I was able to put my laptop in it as well as several other things. You program it to open with a code that you come up with.

The website states that rooms have a flat panel TV. I notice comments from other reviewers that they had one. Our room did not have one. Not a big deal, but I don't think they should advertise that all rooms have them if they don't.

The courtyard area is beautiful. I kind of wish we had gotten one of the rooms with the french doors that open up to the pool area, or the balcony above. I went to the pool on the Saturday that we were there and it was packed. Many towels left on chairs and I wasn't sure if they were actually in use or if the chairs had been vacated for hours and no one ever picked the towels up. During the week though, the pool was a lot less crowded and very relaxing.

We didn't utilize any of the restaurants in the hotel, so can't comment on them.

The staff was very friendly. Check-in was a breeze. And we checked out through the tv and you can even set it up to have them email you the receipt.

We'll definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The courtyard/pool
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoraJae
Dallas, Texas, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

Arrival at the Royal Sonesta
After grabbing a cab at MSY, I was deposited at the underground parking garage entrance to the hotel. I gave up waiting for someone to assist me with my 3 bags and finally had to lug them up the stairs
to the main lobby.

The front desk clerk found my eservation right away and checked me in
to a courtyard-view room, which she said were quieter and nicer than the ones facing Bourbon Street.

Arriving at a busy time, I had to wait about 10 minutes to get a bellman to take my bags. The room was a bit dated. Not antiqued, but dated.

The good about the room: nice view of pretty courtyard, large in-room
safe.

The not-so-good. Features missing for a "4-star" hotel: No flat screen TV; absence of luxury linens - sheets felt like 50/50 cotton/poly, no bath robe. no coffee maker, tiny desk.

Also,each night I was awakened several times (1 am, 2 am) by loud revelers in the halls - request a room away from the elevator to try to avoid this.

Big Problem in the Big Easy - After dinner the 1st nite of my stay, I
returned to the RS and my key didn't work. Long story short, a Truman
Capote lookalike who was at the front desk, said he didn't have me in
the system, didn't show my reservations and said they didn't have any
rooms. It took nearly 45 minutes, with this RS employee belittling me, suggesting I was staying elsewhere, forgot, etc, to finally get back into my room.

This was my 5th stay at the Royal Sonesta, and I won't be returning.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank BCMose
TorontoOntCanada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

My husband and I just completed our 20th Easter stay at the beautiful Royal Sonesta hotel, and as always we had a lovely memorable time! I do not think one could ask for more in a hotel..when one walks into the lobby directly off Bourbon street you are greeted with a feeling and sense of calm and tranquility.
It never fails to make us want to exhale...oh to be back in wonderful New Orleans and the Royal Sonesta. The location is fabulous, right on busy Bourbon street, but as mentioned once inside the doors an oasis of calm flows over you.
Have you ever seen a prettier court yard with all of the trees and shrubs in bloom?
We have dined over the years at Begues and have always found the food to be of a very high calibre, with good attentive wait staff,
the Easter Brunch must be mentioned with high marks , with a great variety of food with a focus on local seafood..ie freshly shucked oysters crayfish and the like with all you can consume champagne and of course a wonderful painist playing all of your requests.
The Mystic Den ( Thursday-Saturday) features the Richie Molten Trio...smooth jazz sounds until the wee hours.
The rooms are really nicely laid out and the decor lovely , the pool area on the third floor is surrounded by flowering trees. and plants...the pool bar is a nice place to sit and absorb the feeling of the hotel.
The staff of course have changed in the last 20 years ( retired, moved on etc) but always make us feel as if we have been greatly missed and that we are returning home.
What more can I say, we really do "know what it means to miss New Orleans and the Royal Sonesta Hotel"...we are already planning our 2008 visit!

Stayed April 2007