“R Club level is worth the price!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Sonesta New Orleans

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #25 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Greenbank, Washington
“R Club level is worth the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

This was a very nice hotel. We opted to pay just a bit more for the R Club level and it was really worth it. There is a great free happy hour everynight with hot appetizers and a free hot breakfast every morning. The pool was very nice, the kids enjoyed swimming while my husband and I sat at the pool bar. Service was great. The rooms are a bit small but were very nice. I would definately recommend this hotel if you want to stay on Bourbon Street and be close to all of the action.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,285)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

Great food, great music and great hotel! Russell, you know your stuff!! Stop by the concerige (Russell) and find out where eat and what to see, I had the best bday ever, thanks again!!!

Petal, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

I made my reservations back in April to spend Decadence at the Royal Sonesta. We arrived at 1:31pm, check in is not until 3:00 pm but decided to see if our room was ready. It wasnt. There was some young girl working the desk, pony tail...NOT friendly at all. She took my cell number and told me they would call when my room was ready. At 440 p.m. I still had not gotten a call so I went back to the hotel and asked about my room. The guy helping me then was nice enough but full of excuses as to why it wasnt ready..busy weekend and all. We then decided to just sit in the lobby. Finally at 10 mins till 5 my phone went off telling me my room was ready...3 and a half hours after we arrived.
We were there for two nights and our parking was $72.00!!! The parking there is the worst in the quarter. I have stayed at many hotels in the quarter, and I expect to pay for parking... but this is unreal! You pay enough for the room and then they kill you with parking!!! All in all not really the best hotel for your money..and the staff needs some lessons on kindness!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Royal Sonesta has the look, feel, quality & service of a five star hotel but it's also like visiting your favourite Uncle - down to earth staff who are friendly, considerate, funny and always happy to see you again and help out with anything. After several visits, I still cannot stay anywhere else. Don't be fooled by the central Bourbon Street location - inside it has quiet rooms and the tranquility of the third floor outdoor pool and bar area and by sneaking out the side door you would never have to see the neon lights of bustling Bourbon street!
It's the staff who really make it. Warm smiles every day. I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
milwaukee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Honestly there was nothing about this place that is worthy of 4 stars. Not the bed, pillows,linens, towels, elevator, shower pressure, mini bar. Nothing.. I mean nothing. I have stayed at Days Inn hotels in the middle of austereville. Best bet for any traveler/visitor/tourist. Rent a hotel outside of the quarter and cab/walk down and dont eat any of the food anywhere in the quarter. If you have to live at Mc donalds.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I was extremely dissapointed with the Sonesta in New Orleans!!! Water pressure was awful, staff wasn't friendly, parking was outrageous with only at $2 discount for guests. Drinks poolside were at least $15/piece. And there is NO FREE WIFI.

2 Thank OceanLover0252
Bowie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

I have stayed at the Royal Sonesta 3 Seperate Times over the last six weeks. This last visit I had 8/14-8/18 was my worst. Although cost is not the issue, I have spent over $3000 at this hotel this year and my room was the worse. There appears to be some ambiguity about the terminology the website uses and the front desk use for room types. Each time I book I request a "Deluxe" room. According to the website there are only Standard, Deluxe, Pool, Balcony, R Level and Suites. Mind you "Deluxe" cost more per night than the standard. Well, upon checking in this time the walkway in my room was sooo tight I had to pick my luggage up, place it on my white linen bed, and walk to the other side of the bed to take it off because I could not wheel it in the walkway. A little concerned since I had not experienced this before with a "Deluxe" King I went to the front desk and was told by Randall that my room was a deluxe and the rooms I stayed in previously were the "Premium" Kings. Well i mentioned that is weird because I have never heard of the room type before. He was very curt and stated "ma'am that is what it was previously and this is the type you have now". That was it. No apologies, no offers of exchanges. So tired from a long day of travel I just said whatever and went to sleep. The next day or so I inquired again and spoke with Dakota a "supervisor" who told me my room was a "standard" room and maybe there were no other rooms and that last time I stayed in a "pool view room" which is premium. He was unapologetic. He made me feel as if he was defending Randall and basically dismissed what I was trying to explain to him as my "misunderstanding of the correct room terminology". Still not comfortable I just continued on with my stay since I had also purchased a second room for some friends I invited to town. Still uneasy with the responses I had recieved I decided to inquire one last time and finally recieved clarification from Darrin. I wish I had seen him the first night. He was everything I was accustomed to at the Sonesta, caring, dedication, empathetic to my feelings, and well versed on the matter at hand. He provided me with clarity and explained there was no such thing as a "premium" room and that the deluxe room is actually the standard room and on the website a standard room just means the assignment is made upon arrival but all "deluxe" rooms are considered their standard. As far as the change in room size he explained every once in awhile some rooms will be a little smaller but the accomodations are consistent. He even offered to move me but it was 4pm the night before departure. He even offered to get the bell desk to help me move. Bless his heart. I wish he was there the first night. But I say all this to say...I absolutely loved this hotel prior to this experience gave it A+++ on everything. I have stayed there when it was $100 a night and when it has been $350 a night., but this last trip has place a sour taste with me. I was supposed to travel there for decadence but have since changed to another hotel. I plan on doing the same for the voodoo festival in October. I do not want to stay at a place and run the risk of coming across non-chalant front desk who do not seemed concerned with my satisfaction just because I didnt throw a "hissy fit" when voicing my complaint. If you plan on staying you better call the front desk and talk to only Justin, Darrin, or Andrew to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends