“My one and only in N O”

Ranked #29 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“My one and only in N O”
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Lovely old hotel all spiffed up. Can't-be-beat location in the Quarter. Excellent staff across the board. Stayed in a courtyard room this time and it was much quieter than streetside. We were awakened at 3 one night by loud knocking on another door. Something of this sort usually occurs once during our stays. The hotel is on Burbon after all. One complaint: charging for wireless is pretty chintzy. Esp when one can get it free at budget fast food places.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed May 26, 2010

stayed here for a convention recently and while the hotel and staff are fantastic (especially Jabari out front!) the outside sounds when you are trying to sleep are crazy! From Saturday night to Monday night I never had a full nights sleep where I wasn't woken up by music, laughing, motorcycles or trash trucks. The music was so loud that you could hear it over the TV and my room was in the back away from Bourbon Street. Maybe the rooms that face the courtyard would be better but the rooms definitely aren't soundproof!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2010

This was my first time to New Orleans, can't wait to go to back! I loved this hotel and will stay here again! It is a great location ur in the heart of Burbon St. but if ur not into all that craziness everthing is with in walking distance. The hotel staff was beyond exceptional and very helpful and friendly. the concierge Russell was the best was very helpful for us as first timers and Malcome the door man was fantastic and always directed us in the rt direction. Great coffe shop! The Jazz Playhouse great music. although not a good lay out with that colum in the middle of the room blocks the stage so get there early to get a good seat or u will be looking at a colum the entire evening. Never ate at the hotel resturaunts, Great coffe at P.J's in lobby, pool was small but cute, nice relaxing coutyard. Over all was fantastic 1st time experience!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank maydeltex
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta during a convention in April. The rooms were wonderful, newly decorated. We were on an upper floor facing the courtyard and it was perfect. My boss was on the 2nd floor facing Bourbon Street and he found it very noisy! The Desire Oyster Bar which is part of the hotel was fabulous! Barbecue shrimp was amazing! The Jazz bar in the hotel had great entertainment for the price of a drink! The hotel restaurant for breakfast was excellent value - much better than the coffee shop which was also on the main level. Tip: remember that room service already has the tip built into the price - no need to tip 2x! I learned this the hard way!! But the meal was good...:)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Schweizerchick
PA
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Expensive hotel, rooms a bit small with average appointments. We stayed in a king with a balcony on Bourbon St. Paid over $300/night. Location is fantastic if you want to be in the middle of the Bourbon St action. Note that it's VERY noisy since Bourbon St never seems to quit at night. Plan on music, people shouting, howling etc until 4am every night and even with the doors closed, you hear it all. Great for people-watching and bead throwing!
Rooms on Bourbon towards Bienville St face the Gentlemen's Clubs with views of scantily clad women. Rooms towards Conti St just face bars and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, UK
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I stayed in a room on the Club Floor, during a conference, rates were not cheap at this time. Stunning and peaceful lobby, especially compared to Bourbon Street outside. The concierge doubles up as the special R-Club check-in, but he was busy and so I used the ordinary check-in desk. The room was quite small, but clean, nicely decorated, with flowers and complimentary bottled water. The bed was very comfortable and the turndown service included careful folding of pyjamas. You get a separate key for the minibar, return it at check-out or get charged $20. Outward-facing view was nothing to speak of. But the room was quiet: not a peep to be heard from the streets.

The club lounge was fairly small but never busy. Hot sausages, bacon and eggs at breakfast plus fruits, cereals etc. In the evening for a couple of hours there were complimentary drinks and nibbles, including a couple of hot items which were different each day. Tasty.

The lounge has complimentary wireless, but it took a couple of phone calls to reception to get a valid code for this - it was given up almost grudgingly. The hostess in the lounge itself, whilst a beacon of friendliness and hospitality, was not of much technical help in this respect. As a plus, the wireless code then worked in my room, too. The iMac in the lounge also had internet connection problems, even though it supposedly had both wired and wireless connectivity. Finally solved by physically pulling its wired ethernet out and using the wireless code I had been given, again this was a do-it-myself solution.

I had an interesting chat with the security guard when I accidentally wiped my keycard with my phone, apparently police vanish from the streets at 4am and then it really gets interesting.

I chose the hotel over the larger chains as I felt it would have more of a local flavour: it succeeded.

Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This hotel has a beautiful lobby and great location, that is it. The staff including the front desk and security were very unprofessional. While waiting for a ride by the front door I witnessed a patron denied entry to the hotel because they accused the woman he was with as being a prostitute. After the man produced a room key and drivers license, showing that the woman was infact his wife, he was allowed in. I shrugged it off and continued on with my night. The following night I tried entering the hotel to use the ATM and security denied me entrance. I am a Dr. who dresses more casual on my off time and security didn't approve of a tshirt and shorts even though the hotel doesn't have a lobby dress code. I complained to the front desk and they laughed with the security guard about the misunderstanding. I tried complaining the next day to the manager, but the front desk clerk claimed the manager iwas not in the building at 10:00 am on a Friday. I waited for 2 hours in the lobby, but felt it was not worth my time to complain again since I was leaving. Not what you would expect in a """"luxury"""" hotel.
The rooms are old, musty and dirty. My nonsmoking room was filled with smoke smell and my clothes smelled of smoke. Every meeting I went to the others thought I took up smoking due to the smell on my suit. This hotel would be good for singles or party people, but not for families or professionals. I am not sure where the star rating came from or the good reviews, but this is at best a 2 star hotel. If you are looking for a real luxury hotel in the French Quarter look someplace else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
DDGDDG, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
We are so disappointed by these comments. They are so contrary to the guest experience we strive to create. Your posted comments have been shared with the entire executive committee for immediate action. While you have our sincere apology, you also have our gratitude. Since most of our TripAdvisor comments are glowing our management team takes this review by you very seriously and met on this review today. We appreciate you taking the time to bring this our attention, and we will turn this around. Our reputation for exceptional quality and guest service means everything to us.