“Great Location, Great Hotel!”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #30 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 18, 2005

I have been to New Orleans several times, but this was the first time taking my husband. I was able to find a great price for the Royal Sonesta over Easter and decided to gie it a try. We were not dissapointed.
Our room was nice but very close to bourbon and very noisy. The next night, we opted for a poolside room. Very nice. Quiet and overlooking the courtyard. Although we didnt use the pool, it was a nice option.
We had a great time and would recommend this if you can find a good deal. The location was great.
Only negative was a safe that wasn't working when we arrived, but we called the front desk and someone arrived quickly to fix it.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank heathork
Write a ReviewReviews (4,438)

Kilgore, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2005

We recently went to New Orleans for a convention and were assigned to the Royal Sonesta at 300 Bourbon St. Upon arrival we went directly to the underground parking where we were met with wonderful people. All of the staff were dressed in wonderful uniforms, and they were very kind. From the moment they unpacked our car and parked it, until they repacked it for us a week later, they did everything possible to make us feel like we were at home. Our room was very nice, it had french doors leading out to the courtyard and pool. The room included mini-bar and a safe. We had two small children with us and the hotel supplied us (at no extra cost) with a refrigerator for their milk. The atmosphere was one of elegance and charm. I intend to return to New Orleans as soon as possible and will ONLY stay at the Royal Sonesta.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2005

When we got there, I was impressed with the hotel. Parking was one of the cheapest in the area too. I had called to follow up an internet reservation to request a courtyard facing room (a must if you dont want the noise) and a king non-smoking. When we arrived, there were no courtyard side rooms without an additional upgrade fee. The manager was rude and short with us and offered no other options and just told us we had to deal with what we got. Actually, everyone at the front desk was impolite. Rooms were small but clean. SUPER soft bed and nice linens.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank kamaa222
Reviewed August 20, 2005

The Royal Sonesta is a lovely hotel with fine service, clean rooms, and good location, even though it is located on Bourbon Street. I particularly enjoyed breakfasts in the hotel restaurant where service was the best I have had in ages.
The New Orleans French Quarter, on the other hand, has become disgracefully dirty. Trash, the stench, and filth is all around the hotel. Talented street musicians still perform, great food is still served all over, and shopping is fun, but how much longer will it last if the city doesn't clean up its act? The areas on Decatur Street were cleaner, so if you are staying at this hotel, go toward the river and then toward Jackson Square for a better part of the area.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed August 19, 2005

This was my second trip to New Orleans and second time staying at Royal Sonesta. I will definitely continue to book Royal Sonesta every year I visit New Orleans. Why?

Clean, upscale feeling, great amenities - Rooms of your choice, Balcony, On Bourbon, Off Bourbon, Suites, Standard all are reasonably priced, comfortable and clean. Beds & pillows are comfortable. Hotel is Private and quiet (provided you dont stay in a room overlooking Bourbon St.) Massage and bar services poolside.
Nice Lobby, Great Bar and Restaurant.
The staff at Royal Sonesta are very hospitable. I visited the Cigar Bar and was served by one of the most friendly bartenders. (She makes the best bloody mary you'll ever have) She talked with me for hours and recommended 15+ places/sites/venues to experience. I also chatted with the cashier in the Gift Shop who also recommended some local scenes to check out.
Room Service & the Restaurant in the lobby were great!

This hotel is safe. I can vouch for that as I had left the hotel and later learned I left my hotel room door wide open for about 1/2 hour upon my return my room was free of any disruption. Secured lobby and security asks for room key upon entering the lobby in the evening hours.

I am 38 years old and recommend this hotel to families, singles, old/young.

I dont have one bad thing to say about the hotel. The location is Excellent. My opinion, best located hotel in the French Quarters.

Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2005

This was my first trip to New Orleans, and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat! The hotel is attractive and well-maintained, and the pool is lovely. We walked around in the hot sun exploring the city and looked forward each day to relaxing at the pool in the late afternoon with a swim and cocktails- perfect! The room was very clean and well decorated, but the walls were a bit thin- I tried to sleep in late and heard lots of activity in the hallway. We got a free newspaper delivered at our door each morning, and there was a fancy TV system in the room with cable, internet, and video games.
The concierge staff were fantastic (especially Russell)- very friendly and helpful. They booked tours for us and gave us great restaurant referrals. This hotel is located on Bourbon Street which can be pretty sleazy and stinky, but the location is central and we heard no street noise in our inner room. The outer rooms facing Bourbon Street might be noisy because the bars stay open way past 2:00 am. I read another review where someone had jewelry stolen, but that's due to carelessness on their part- the hotel provided an in-room safe, and experienced travellers lock valuables up in their suitcases.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank Duxbury
Reviewed August 16, 2005

It was my first trip to NOLA and I was thrilled to stay in a hotel right on Bourbon Street! Upon checking in, my friends and i were greeted by the doorman. The staff were super friendly and very helpful!! Talk about southern hospitality. We ate at Desire's twice - the red beans and rice was great and oysters are to die for. What I liked about my stay is that we had peace and quiet in our room (not overlooking Bourbon) and the hotel lobby had a nice and classy feel. The rooms were nice - we got 2 connecting rooms and they were both lovely and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and I liked the extra drawers in the bathroom. We didn't encounter the water pressure issue I read on the other reviews. Housekeeping also kept our room clean when we wanted them to. However, the walls are thin but it didnt really bother us since we were always out. The pool was a nice plus. We also like the security in the lobby at night - since it was our annual girls' trip, we felt really secure. As soon as we step out of our hotel, it was a party!!! We will definitely stay at Royal Sonesta when we go back next year!!!

• Stayed: July 2005