“Fantastic location, great pool, beautiful hotel!”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #29 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic location, great pool, beautiful hotel!”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My girlfriends and I stayed here for our weekend getaway. I would book this hotel for its location alone-right on Bourbon street steps away from the bars/clubs and restaurants, and a five to ten minute walk to Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde, and shopping areas.

We got a room with two double beds facing the pool. The room was very clean (there's no room for error with white linens!) and the bathroom was spotless. I liked that there was a flat screen TV and a radio/alarm clock with an iPod dock. We didn't mind the noise of the pool (we could hear people talking outside early in the morning and the rowdy bachelor party in the afternoon) but if you're sensitive to noise then I would recommend a room on the other side of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Louisiana
Reviewed July 16, 2009

The first night we got there, we had to wait 2 hours for them to clean our room. Then once we got a room, that wasn't originally ours, there was dog ---- on the ground that my little niece stepped in and got all over her posessions. The next day we went out to eat. While we were eating, our room got broken in to. They went through our balcony and picked the lock. They threw every bag we had upside down and stole over $1500 worth of items including a gps system, cameras, phones, straighteners, rings, money, alcohol, perfumes, and SOCKS. We told the security as soon as possible. The first group tried to help us but they were getting off duty soon. The next group were total -----. They kept telling us that they were going to catch the thieves before they reentered their room in a very cocky attitude (the thieves were our neighbors). We tried to help the security by telling them where they were and what they were wearing because we saw them walking the streets of Bourbon. The security totally blew us off. The next morning we wake up and the people are in their room. We hurry to tell the frontdesk but then they just leave with a phonecall checkout. The hotel did nothing to help us out . The thieves were frauds and went under someone elses name. Now we have none of our posessions, and we are scared to death to go back there. It was a horrible experience, and the hotel was a horrible assistance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Alt13
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2009

This hotel is awesome. The service is great and you have to see Russell Murphy who has a desk in the lobby. He will point you to the best restaurants and music. If you want to be a tourist, he knows where to send you. If you want to go where the locals go, he knows where to send you. You will not have to take a taxi anywhere if you stay at this hotel. It is very safe with plenty of security.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Absolutely wonderful. I have been dreaming of staying at this hotel since I was 18 years old. I use to pear through the door and wish that I could stay here one day.
Finally that day came. My wife and I booked the Royal Sonesta for our 25th anniversarsy and what a wonderful experience it was.
Beautiful hotel with a wonderful staff. Bourbon street was right out the front door. Royal street a block away. The French Quarter just 3 or 4 blocks away. Convient to everything. Our rooms french doors opened up to a beautiful courtyard with a beautiful view lush greenery and fountain and a wonderful pool.
We stayed 2 days. We did not dine at any of there restaurants but I heard they are wonderful. The pool was great. Pool bar was right there. Very convienent. We actually mixed our drinks in our room and brought them out to the pool ourselves. Stronger and cheaper.
After partyihg on Bourbon the whole night, all we had to do was stumble into the front doors of the Sonesta and we were in our room in no time.
I grew up in New Orleans and resided there for 27 years and this is the best hotel I have I will only consider.
The only downside would be the parking fee, it is $31 per night. Quite steep. But, the up side is that you know your car is safe.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We had a disaster with another hotel having lost our reservations. Through a friends company's travel agency we were able to find a room at Royal Sonesta at 10:30 at night during the Essence Festival. They were truly a lfesaver, and saved our vacation. The hotel is beautiful, and the room we stayed in (that peeked around the corner to Bourbon Street) was surprisingly quiet. The staff was friendly, accomodating, and very helpful. The concierge reccommmended an out of the way pizza place for dinner that was one of the highlights of our stay in New Orleans.

Thank you Royal Sonesta for saving our vacation and being a haven of tranquility in the over the top fun that is an inevitable part of a New Orleans vacation!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
Reviewed July 5, 2009

A three night "staycation" recharged the batteries and reminded us of the many cool things our hometwon has to offer. The Royal Sonesta combines it all. Facilities, staff, value couldn't be beat.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I first became aware of the Royal Sonesta in early May when I was in New Orleans for a business conference at another New Orleans hotel. I spent one evening during that business trip exploring Bourbon Street when I happened to meet some people who were staying at the Royal Sonesta. They described it as being an upscale hotel with great customer service and excellent amenities. At the time, I happened to be looking for a nice destination for my wife and I to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary later in the month, so I decided to check out the Royal Sonesta.

The Royal Sonesta is located in the French Quarter and, more specifically, in the heart of Bourbon Street. When I found the hotel I initially questioned whether an upscale hotel could co-exist with it's "neighbors" across the street which included three or four "gentlemen's clubs" and at least five or six bars, but I rationalized that this was Bourbon Street and the bars and strip clubs seemed to blend in with the French Quarter atmosphere. The hotel itself is one of the larger structures on Bourbon Street with approximately 500 rooms, many of which overlook Bourbon and feature balconies that are extremely popular during certain times of the year such as Mardi Gras when hotel guests can observe the "craziness" from above. (We learned later that the Royal Sonesta was actually the last "new" construction allowed in the French Quarter when it was built in 1969.)

But while it may be "crazy" on Bourbon Streeet, walking into the Royal Sonesta has a terrific calming effect. The lobby is spacious and well appointed with highly-polished marble floors and ornate furnishings. During my initial visit, I arranged to see several rooms to help decide the type and location of the room I wanted to reserve for our anniversary trip. I was shown a standard room overlooking an interior courtyard, a balcony room above Bourbon Street, a patio room with walk-out access to the hotel's third-floor pool area, and a room on the hotel's concierge floor (known as the "R Club").

I ultimately made a reservation on the concierge floor after finding an attractive rate on the hotel's website ($142/night, more than 1/2 off the room's standard rate). In addition to some extra room amenities, the concierge floor includes access to a private lounge on the 7th floor toward the rear of the hotel that features a full breakfast buffet every morning and a 5-7 p.m. "happy hour" featuring various wines and liquors and hors d'oeuvres. The view from the R Club lounge and adjacent patio is reminicent of the chimney sweepers scene in Mary Poppins (I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen Dick Van Dyke come running across the rooftops!).

Anyway, in the weeks prior to our anniversary, my wife had an opportunity to look at the Royal Sonesta's website and, while she agreed that it looked good on the Internet, she was a bit skeptical that something so nice could co-exist with the Bourbon Street atmosphere. Her concern seemed to be reinforced when we reached the French Quarter and drove past an adult toy store, several bars and a couple of strip clubs in the block before we reached the hotel. But those concerns seemed to vanish almost as soon as we drove into the Royal Sonesta's underground parking garage and we were greeted by a uniformed bellhop. Our room was perfect, except for the view. If you book the R Club, be sure to request a room overlooking the hotel's courtyard; ours had a rather non-discript view of some run-down buildings behind the hotel. However, that was the only minor issue we encountered and was of little concern because we didn't spend all that much time in our room. Oh, and there was a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room (I mentioned to the bell staff and front desk staff during my "walk through" in early May that my wife and I would be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary...and they remembered!)

Each morning during our three-night stay we enjoyed a leisurely breackfast in the R Club's private lounge, meeting other guests and talking with the R Club's concierge about things to do and see in New Orleans. Then, after a day of sight-seeing, we would start each evening with the R Club's "happy hour" where we would again meet up with other guests as we mapped out our plans for the evening.

Among our favorite memories of the Royal Sonesta was meeting various members of the hotel staff, several of whom shared vivid stories about Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. In particular, we enjoyed meeting Katherine, the evening concierge on concierge floor, and Milton who staffed the concierge desk in the main lobby, both of whom helped set up reservations at some very nice French Quarter restaurants. Among the things we learned from Milton, Katherine and others is that New Orleans is that tourism in New Orleans is running at only about half of what it was before Katrina, even though the French Quarter never flooded and much of the city is now back to normal. They want people to know that it's safe to vacation in New Orleans; they wan (and need) tourists!

If you visit the Royal Sonesta (or if you're in the neighborhood), stop by the Famous Door across the street. It's a bar with a live band and it's something of a landmark in the French Quarter. It's a friendly place with good music. They helped me arrange a surprise for my wife on the night of our anniversary that helped make the occasion extra special. Also, beware of anyone in the French Quarter who makes a bet with you that he can tell you where you got your shoes. (The answer is you "got one on dat foot and dah other on duh other foot"!)

The Royal Sonesta is definitely someplace we plan to return and we've already recommended it to friends and family. In fact, we're already talking with friends about going there with us the next time we visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple