WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Royal Sonesta New Orleans

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #24 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Las Vegas
“Royal Sonesta R Club Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

Hotel, Staff, Room all great! We stayed in the R Club level on the 7th floor. Breakfast and Happy Hour included in price of room. The breakfast was very nice and the happy hour fantastic. Very nice appitizers and a great selection of top shelf cocktails, beer and wine.
This is our 3 time at the Hotel and I must say the hotel is in the best shape that I have seen it in! All of the staff was impressive. The hostess Julieanna from Brazil in the R level hospitality suite was quite possibily the best employee of any hotel we have encountered in our travels anywhere in the world! We live in Las Vegas in work in the hotel industry. The hotel owners here in LV would be very lucky to have someone like Julieanna working for them at any property in any type of public relation area. She was GREAT. Royal Sonesta you are lucky to have an employee like her! New Orleans was and still is a great place to visit and Sonesta for us put the frosting on the NOLA cake.
The R Level package is well worth the small extra charge. Just having a few drinks and breakfast daily quickly off sets the extra charge. GREAT DEAL,FANTASTIC STAY!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tlw12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,224)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santa Clarita
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta from April 1-4 for a business conference that was being held at the hotel. What is probably the biggest draw to many is the biggest drawback to others and that is the location. The hotel is practically in the heart of the French Quarter, which means you step out and you are on Bourbon Street, but the noise is constant (can be better or worse depending on your specific room).

Seeing that I was on business, I asked for a quiet room, and the front desk clerk did his best and ended up giving me room that was really quite nice, entered from a shared balcony overlooking an interior courtyard. The problem was that on the ground level of the courtyard hotel guests would have loud parties each night until about 12:30 (when i believe the hotel shut them down). So even a room not facing any exterior streets had its noise problems.

I just did not find the hotel a great fit for business. It wasn't conducive to getting work done, and some of the meeting rooms had awkward layouts (like being 20 feet wide by 60 feet deep, so those in the back could barely see those up on the dais). The catering provided by the hotel was fine (but for beignets, go to Cafe du Monde).

The service was good. Most staff were very polite and more than willing to go out of their way to help the guests.

So all in all, it was okay. I will admit that the French Quarter is not my cup of tea so if I were more of a partying guy then I probably would have enjoyed it more. If business calls me back, I'd stay closer to Canal Street, at the JW Marriott or Intercontinental.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank FightOn
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for a national conference from April 1-3. Whether it be business or pleasure, you won't get a better hotel at a better location than the Royal Sonesta. The staff is friendly and helpful, the hotel is beautiful, the concierge gave great recommendations, and the rooms were very nice.

Previous travelers mentioned an issue with the elevators, they were apparently fixed by the time I rolled in there. But again, the location of this hotel is superb. Remember that this is on Bourbon Street, and there are a lot of strip joints near the hotel. But at night, it's a very fun atmosphere.

While you're there, be sure to hit Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street (less than a half mile walk from the hotel). Also, lots of great dining is within three blocks, most notably Brennan's, Ralph and Kacoo's, and my personal favorite, Deanie's.

Some of the cons: my room was a handicap room, so it was quite a bit bigger than some of the regular rooms. Also, some of the views can be a little unspectacular. My colleague was literally facing an old run-down slum. Additionally, some of the outlets in my room didn't work.

But again, definitely the best hotel and best location in the French Quarter!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank millennialdad2621
Frankfort, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for 4 nights leaving on the 27th. Reading the last 2 reviews it sounds like I left in the nick of time. My stay was much better than the 2 previous people. I chose a room facing Bourbon knowing that the noise could be an issue. The king size bed was very comfortable and the huge TV was nice. Having a balcony room on Bourbon Street offered several hours of amusing people watching. My dealing with the staff in this property was all good. The front desk clerk...I think her name was Rachel...was fun to chat with and showed a lot of personality. The last night I stayed here the sky opened up and there was some serious rain. It rained so hard that the carpet in front of the balcony door was soaked the next morning.

Dont get a balcony room on Bourbon if you are a light sleeper....the party on Bourbon goes on all night!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2009

This a pathetic excuse for a luxury hotel. I agree with the previous guest's review. Upon arrival, no electricity, no heat/or AC, no phone, and no hot water and no effort to divert to a functioning facility. After climbing several flights of stairs with luggage (no operational elevator), the hall was pitch black without emergency lighting (talk about a safety hazard and no flashlight was provided). The best service provider was the car valet who told me everyone was going to the Hilton because he knew why the power was out...should of taken the valet's advice. We found our room using a cell phone for light and trying several doors with our card key. The only operational things in the hotel were the door locks, lobby computer, and a dimly lit entrance hall/stairwell. We wanted two double beds but were given a single king size facing bourbon street with no apology which is EXTREMELY NOISY, since the partying continues usually to 4 am and then the garbage trucks come by, EVEN WITH 2 inches of plexiglass.. and no you can't open the windows to cool down when there is no A/C). Even though I booked 4 nights through hotels.com, I left the next morning. I hope I won't be sucking up the cost for the additional 3 nights (will keep you posted it is now day 6 of the struggle for reimbursement even though the desk clerk said they would honor it but currently they won't even answer phone calls from hotels.com.. hey, I know the economy is tough but... ). I will be bumping this up and protesting about the safety issues via a dispute on my visa card...hmm..wonder if I should hire an attorney...just to prove a point about fraud and abuse. The front desk was extremely rude to us (so much for southern hospitality) when I told them I was checking out due to safety issues...the least of my worries is the decor the room had which is nothing to write home about...the size of a closet (they opened it in the '60s) kept bumping into the oversize bed in an undersized room with the customary old soggy king size mattress, laden with dinged furniture and worn carpeting for $179.00/night+tax+parking. Upon exit, the parking official was asking if I paid...probably but they were UNABLE to offer me a receipt because the power was still down. HOWEVER, I FOUND A GREAT ROOM AT THE RENAISSANCE ARTS HOTEL, the same day on my own...which was extraordinarily clean, operational, and wonderfully decorated with art including a few Chilhuly chandeliers for $159/night+tax and you can find on street parking for free on the weekends. There are very few vacations for us RNs...would have liked this one to be better...loved New Orleans but hated that hotel...thanks for listening...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank TravelRN2
need1vacation
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

We have very stressfull life and dont get away too much so we had high hopes for our weekend away to New Orleans.. Now I wish we went somewhere else or just stayed home. The staff there was very rude, so much for that southern charm! They lost power to the hotel and we were told it would come right back... Well it didn't and after a hot, sticky, sweaty night with only green glow sticks to light our room and a very cold shower (Oh did I mention no hot water!), we were charged the full price! They guy who processed the charges told us that the cost of the room would be comp'd come monday when staff were there.... Well now the hotel will not return our phone call!
What a SCAM!!!
Do your self a favor... go somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank need1vacation
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

We were very impressed with the helpful and extremely friendly staff at the hotel, from the head bellman who went out of his way to offer restaurant and attraction recommendations to the housekeeping staff who were always smiling and making a point to greet us. We felt very welcome and would definitely stay there again.

The location was also great- centrally located in the French Quarter and within walking distance to tons of great restaurants, most of the attractions we were interested in and transportation. The only thing that could be improved upon was the temperature of the pool... it was very clean but freezing!

We had a great time and would recommend it to anyone- singles, couples, or families with young children.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family