“Nice but not what was reserved”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #27 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I made reservations for the Royal Tower and received confirmation thru email directly with their website. I even phoned to confirm our room the day before arrival. Upon arrival we were told we had not reserved a room in the Royal Tower, very rudely by the desk manager. He also said there were no rooms available in the tower and that they were "closing it" after Sunday due to being only 22% full, which we found to be untrue. He did offer us a free breakfast. Again he was very rude and kept asking us "well what do you want?" Our room was ok. Nice bed and bedding and quite room. Sunday brunch was excellent and the hotel location can't be beat.

1  Thank GlassLadyHouston_TX

Reviewed December 27, 2008

I changed hotels after watching Laura MacKenzie's show featuring NO during the holidays. Her show showed the Royal Sonesta decorated for the holidays and knew it would please my wife to stay there. The lobby was beautifully arranged with Christmas trees and other holiday decorations everywhere. The service was very good from the reception desk to the bellman, concierge and doorman. Everyone was very friendly. The room was very clean with a large flat screen tv. The bed was comfy but I wish they would use queens instead of doubles in rooms with two beds. The bathroom amenities seem to be high quality and always replenished. A daily newspaper was hanging on my door every morning. The location, right on Bourbon St. can't be beaten. We did have a problem on two separate nights where hotels guests returning to their rooms around 2 - 3 am were very inconsiderate of other guests by what seem like yelling in the hallways. My other gripe are hotels that don't provide free internet access. I guess it's easy money for them.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2008

We went there for a girls getaway week. Our room was very spacious. There were 2 queen beds, a sitting area, a huge bathroom with tub and sepaarate shower stalls. The bathroom was large enough to accomadate3 girls and all of our hari products and make it.

The hotel was nicely decorated, great location on Bourbon St. Our room had a double french door that openen into the main patio area. It was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2005
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Stayed here for two nights in conjunction with a conference. Had a King room w/ a sidestreet (i.e. not Bourbon Street) view. The room was a bit small but perfectly fine. Pretty nice bedding and furnishings in good shape, new flat TV. Bath was pretty average, not too impressed w/ the shower, towels were fine.

Gym was OK, not very big. Two decent treadmills, ellipticals, bikes. Some weight equipment. A little stuffy. Did not use the outdoor pool, but it's in a beautiful courtyard and looks quite nice w/ lots of deck/chair space.

Service at the hotel was great. Desk staff, concierge, bell, door. All superb. That is really the reason I'd return - along w/ the charm of this classic property. Good on site dining, bar, etc., too.

Some final points you may find useful:
* If you don't have an interior view, you're going to hear some street noise at all hours.

* If you're a business traveller, you may be disappointed there is no desk in the room. There was a sidetable w/ the Internet port, but there wasn't a power strip or similar to charge all your fun devices.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank cliff_rock
Reviewed December 6, 2008

My wife and I have travelled to New Orleans nine times since our first trip in 1999 (pre & post Katrina), including business conferences, three Jazz Fests and some R & R get-a-ways. Our most recent trip was this year the weekend before Thanksgiving (Nov 22 -25). Our first stay in N.O. was at the Royal Sonesta in '99, we booked a Petite Suite. Since then, we have stayed at the Chateau Sonesta (3x), the Iberville Suites, the Pavillion, the Hotel Intercontinental and, for our last three visits, the Royal Sonesta again.

Except for our initial stay at the Royal Sonesta, we have made it a habit to book a side-street balcony room (Bienville or Conti). We have stayed on the Bienville side twice and on our most recent trip we had a Conti room. My preference, due to some noise issues would be the Bienville side.

As always, the Royal Sonesta location, staff and amenities were "top-notch." If you want to stay in the heart of the French Quarter, this is your hotel. Remember, however, that it is located right on Bourbon St. If you want to be a little farther away from the action, you might want to book another Quarter hotel, or one on Canal or in the CBD.

All of that being said, we had a great time once again and will be back to Royal Sonesta for Jazz Fest '09.

Reviewed November 29, 2008

My family and I had a wonderful stay. The room we had faced Bourbon Street. It was very quiet and comfortable. All staff we encountered were courteous and helpful.

We are not superstitious people but did have an unexplained experience while staying there on the fifth floor. I emailed out of curiousity to see if any other customers had made a comment regarding our room. No one ever contacted me.

We stayed five nights and my husband and I experienced the same phenomena, but did not compare notes until the second day. We did not feel threatened or anything but felt a rolling sensation at the foot of our bed (every night). My husband said he felt at one time like something was kicking the bed toward the wall.

On the day of our departure I was sitting on the foot of the bed waiting for my husband to finish up in the bathroom when I heard and sensed what felt like a small animal dragging a leash run across the floor in front of me.

Please let me know if anything occurred in this room or fifth floor that may explain what we experienced.

Loved the Sonesta even with the weird experience!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2008

The lobby is sparkling with crystal chandeliers, fresh flowers, water features, doormen donning royal attire, and comfortable seating areas. Upon arrival, you do indeed feel royal. Our room was average in size, but very nicely appointed. For the price that we paid, it was excellent. Have stayed here many times and we always enjoy it. Location is great and the service is quite good. Parking is pricey, but it is at all hotels in New Orleans.