“Excellent as usual”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #30 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We've stayed so many times at this lovely hotel that it has become like a second home to us. We stay here not only because of the location but also because of the wonderful service we’ve received from every member of the staff. If you are looking for an elegant upscale French Quarter hotel with a perfect location directly on Bourbon St. (but far enough down that it remains quiet), this should be your choice. Marble floors, chandeliers, elegant restaurants, great Jazz nightclub, with new world amenities and old world charm. As usual, everyone involved from check in through check out made us feel welcomed and special. The only time we stay in New Orleans and do not stay at the Royal Sonesta is when they are already booked up. We've now learned to book early so as not to be disappointed by having to stay somewhere else. We'll be back...again and again.

1  Thank Neal L
Write a ReviewReviews (4,436)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great Food, Great Employees, Great Music, Great Location! I stayed here for work but I was treated like "Royalty" at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans. The employees are Awesome! The food & music were incredible. I ate at the Restaurant Desire & Revolution. The food was great, at the Desire, & full of New Orleans flavor but I would go back just for the staff! The sophistication of tastes and service at the Revolution was a "Wow" experience. Every bite of my Heirloom Salad & Signature Bread Pudding was like a Party in my mouth. I went to the Irvin Mayfield Jazz Playhouse during the "Love Fest" week and there is not enough room to write, but Wow, Wow, Wow!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ok, there was one small service glitch, that I'll get out the way. I left my room for dinner, and returned two hours later to a key that didn't work. I went to the front desk to get the key re-set, and the front desk clerk insisted that I was in a room on the 2nd floor (I had been on the 5th floor for two days). After some back and forth, the guy kept insisting that he had checked me into a room on the 2nd floor a half hour earlier.

After more back and forth, we discovered what happened: someone with my last name had checked in, and the clerk had inadvertantly checked me into HIS room under MY name. The clerk was apologetic, and we got it straightened out. But, a bit of advice from now on: double check your guests first AND last names when you check them in.

Having said that, the weekend was fantastic. I love this hotel. And will be staying there again. I'm not one of those overly picky travelers, and am not going to complain that one bulb in my room didn't work. This hotel is great, and the rooms were very cozy.

The concerige was great.
The bellman was great.
The lady running the check-out line was great.

I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. We deeply regret the mistake that was made regarding your reservation and have conducted additional training with our front desk staff to prevent this issue from reoccurring in the future. We are grateful that your stay was wonderful outside of that issue and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I never in a 1000 years thought I would give a Royal Sonesta a super outstanding rating. Lets face it...they arent a five star hotel nor do they bill themselves that way. In fact we stayed at this particular hotel in December and it was just average, we stayed in the one in Houston in April and it was terrible.
We decided to stay here again because of its great location and a nice deal we found online. Now dont get me wrong the hotel was never terrible just average. However this time a single staffer made all the difference in the World as she tried to "make us Royal Sonesta People" The young ladies name was Amari and I surly hope that the management sees this and gives this hard working Lady a well deserved pat on the back
Heres what happened...we went to New Orleans for Labor day and to celebrate my Bday. We flew in and actually gotten there pretty early and since we called ahead she already had our room ready, I know what your thinking its all based on availability etc but we stay in a lot of hotels and it surely takes some caring for the desk clerk to go to the extra effort to have it cleaned at 10:30am.
Well Amari knew from our reservation that we were celebrating a Bday and we had booked a room on the Club Floor. She wished me a Happy Birthday and as we laughed and shared some jokes and pleasantries I teased her about about balloons and birthday cards. She explained that as Birthday guests we will get a free bottle of champaigne and she cracked a sneaky little smile and said she we see what she can do. (Now rememeber we already told her we just arent RS People and we usually prefer The Four Seasons or The W resorts)...according to her she wanted to change that LOL.
We received the champainge that evening as my actual Bday wasnt for 2 more days. We would walk past the front desk and she was always there to say hello and see how we were doing. On the third day of our stay we received a knock at the door to our Suite (Oh BTW she helped orchestrate an additional room upgade) anyway...the man at the door was carrying a half dozen delish petifores and a hand made birthday card! Are you kidding me?! I know this isnt part of the hotels normal hosting...this sweetheart bought them with her own money and handmade the card. I was blown away that she would do such a nice thing. Incredible...
Of course we went down and thanked her...I think she was a little embaressed with the fuss but she deserved it all.
I dont expect treatment like this all the time but for a hotel employee to go to all that trouble just to make us "Royal Sonesta People" it was wonderful. I will tell you this...when we return to New Orleans from now on this IS our place.
I could go on and on about how pretty the hotel was or how great our suite was but all the props in this review go to Amari!
PS...Hey management, yall better hang on to this one, a competitor might try to do some recruiting!

Room Tip: Opt for the Club Floor...free breakfast in the mornings and afternoon cocktails and horderves are gr...
1  Thank Montecore1

At the Royal Sonesta, we strive to go the extra mile for our guests and we are beside ourselves with excitement that Amari was able to provide you with such an amazing stay. We are thankful that you decided to give our hotel a second chance and that you really got the royal treatment for your birthday. We are pleased to inform you that Amari was named as the Royal Sonesta Hotel’s Front-of-House Employee of the Month for the month of September in recognition of her outstanding guest service. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with comfortable rooms and a great location. Location is fantastic. It's across the street from a wonderful outdoor jazz club. Staff was always very accommodating with directions, restaurant information and available interesting local tours.
We plan on going again next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on our first trip to the Big Easy. This hotel is very clean and centrally located to Bourbon St and many other tourist spots in and around the French Quarter. The hotel service is just about right for the price but EBANKS and WAYNE were EXCEPTIONALLY HELPFUL! Highly recommend this hotel on your next trip to the N'Orleans!

Room Tip: For a good nights rest, definitely book pool/courtyard room.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything on your door step, fantastic location on Bourbon St. Lovely room on the side of the hotel so when we'd had enough of the noise and bustle we escaped to our quiet oasis for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple