Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Mazarin(New Orleans)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Le Marais(New Orleans)
  • Breakfast included
Prince Conti Hotel(New Orleans)
Grenoble House(New Orleans)
Hotel Monteleone(New Orleans)
Chateau Orleans(New Orleans)
Good 3.5/5
4,589 results
All reviewsr clubjazz clubbourbon streetdesire oyster bardesire restaurantfrench quarterbalcony roompj's coffeebeautiful hoteloysterspeople watchingclub levelthird floormardi grasstreet noisethe location is perfectjackson square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2013

You are right there close to everything. Was there 4 nights and didn't need to take a cab except to and from the airport. Make sure to take a set of earplugs if your room faces Bourbon St. and you go to bed before 3am. Nice pool area, but it gets crowded. Would be nice to have wait staff to service the pool area or at least have two bartenders there on busy days. Pool has lunch being grilled with some very good burgers and salads.

Rooms and bathrooms are a bit small, but you have to keep in mind when this property was built and the period architecture. I will choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris E
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Chris, thank you for this feedback of your 4 night stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. We are pleased that you found our location convenient and that you liked our rooftop pool. We generally have two or three bartenders on the weekends, but will review our staffing for the Oasis Pool Bar during the week to try to cut down on wait time for service. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had our reservations about staying on Bourbon Street, but once you are inside, you are in a whole new world. The hotel had a beautiful lobby and a very helpful staff. Ashley, Amari, and Tony were especially accommodating and made the stay very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard make you forget that you are on Bourbon Street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We are so pleased that you decided to stay at the Royal Sonesta despite your initial reservations. Thank you for the kind words on our friendly team at the front desk and around the hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had never been to New Orleans and wanted to be in the middle of Bourbon Street, We got a Bourbon Street balcony room. The room was small but acceptable. What is not advertised is that the balcony is shared. The pool and the amenities were very nice. The location was outstanding for walking to everything from the market to casino to all of the French Quarter sites. I would stay there again but not spend the money for the balcony

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marc l

Marc, thank you for choosing the Royal Sonesta and taking the time to write this review. We are sorry that your balcony experience was not quite what you expected. We are pleased that you found our location to be outstanding and that you enjoyed the luxurious amenities in the guestroom and the hotel. Next time you may find a great value in a room on our R Club concierge level, which features more privacy and amenities. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed every moment we stayed in the Royal Sonesta. Every aspect of the experience was wonderful, from making the reservation, checking in, assistance from the staff, and even getting my car back within 5 minutes from the valet. The location is perfect because it was great to be able to have a good time on Bourbon Street and just walk in to the hotel as you needed.

• Stayed: June 2013

Flint, thank you for choosing the Royal Sonesta to celebrate your 25th anniversary and congratulations! We are so thrilled that you found our location to be convenient and that your entire stay was excellent. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here the other night and overall it was a nice experience, but maybe a few too many negatives to justify the price. First, the good: Lobby is beautiful, with lots of brass and marble and other posh, old-school touches. It's all very pretty, if a little run-down in spots, but having everything spotless and new but without character, as you find in more modern hotels, doesn't equal beauty to me anyway. The room was small, as was the bathroom, but very clean and attractively decorated - actually a bit plainer in style than what I expected from the way the lobby looked, but still quite nice. Check-in was fast and easy. My room had a little balcony overlooking Conti street - nice touch, although the "view" is nothing special. The bed was very comfortable, wonderful pillows and high-quality sheets. I had no trouble using the free Wi-Fi and it was fast enough for me. The noise that I've seen others complain about on here didn't bother me at all - although, granted, I stayed on a Monday night, not the busiest night on Bourbon St. The walls are a bit thin, and you can hear people coming and going in the hallways and toilets flushing in neighboring rooms. Still, it was all rather muffled and not enough to really bother me. You have to expect things like this in older hotels. Okay, now the not-so-good: Service was all over the place. Although check-in was fast, the attendants were not especially friendly - no smiles, no eye contact. And for a four-star hotel, their appearance and demeanor was a little less than professional, I felt. However, when I asked for a late check-out the next morning, the girl at the front desk did do this for me, which I truly appreciated. But she had a bit of an attitude about it, which I don't get, because it was only one hour extra, I asked very sweetly, and I am in every other way about the lowest-maintenance hotel guest you could ever want - I rarely if ever ask for anything extra or have any special requests. The bathroom overall was nice enough,(decent towels and toiletries, if nothing spectacular) but the shower was horrible - cheap-looking teensy showerhead with no water pressure.The guy who checks the mini bar banged on the door at 9 am to come in and inspect it...why so early when check-out isn't till noon? I was trying to get some much-needed sleep and didn't appreciate being woken up. He was actually nice and offered to come back later, but what was the point, he'd already woken me up. There is no coffee maker in the room - grrrr. I went to the coffee shop in the lobby and paid over $8 (!) for a bagel and a regular medium coffee, and service there was curt bordering on rude, the guy just seemed like he hated his job. And for a hotel of this caliber, would some free coffee and a few little pastries or something in the morning be too much to ask? Even cheapie motels offer that. Check- out took a loooong time, though to be fair, the couple ahead of me seemed very high-maintenance and had a bunch of issues to resolve, so I suppose the attendant was doing the best she could. In general, it was a nice stay, and I wouldn't have even brought up most of these issues - yes, I know they're fairly minor, but for the price of this hotel, you expect near-perfection.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kiki1075
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very disappointed to read your observations of our sporadic service and we will be reviewing our service standards with our front desk and PJs staff. Your comments are very important and we take them seriously. We will take your feedback about the shower heads into consideration when moving forward with our renovation plans in 2014. Please know that in-room coffee makers are available upon request from our room service department. We wish to invite you back to experience the royal treatment that you are right to expect from the Royal Sonesta.