This was my fourth time down to New Orleans. I chose the Royal Sonesta due to Tripdavisor reviews, location and I really wanted that "New Orleans" experience over a more "mainstream" hotel. Got a good price ($199 with a $25 per day credit we used for parking) for a nice balcony room overlooking the courtyard.
We requested a non-smoking king room (I think the non smoking is hard to come by) and a courtyard balcony away from the Bourbon Street noise. We called a few days before arrival to reconfirm. When we arrived, they had us in a smoking room, but quickly rectified it. Our second room was well located, fourth floor overlooking the courtyard and away from the pool. I would guess this to be the quietest area, and we really enjoyed it.
The room itself is good sized, with a very comfortable bed, nice linens and robes to use. The bathroom is standard with a nice bowed out shower curtain and good bath products. Turndown service is nice, and includes two chocolates. The toilets are very loud, not only your own, but your neighbors. Also, during the weekend especially there are lots of rowdy guests, bachelor parties, slamming doors, screaming well into the wee hours, but hey, it's New Orleans.
The pool area is fine, but it's almost impossible to get a lounge chair on weekends. We didn't care, we just sat around the edge of the pool. Friday and especially Saturday the pool was rowdy, filled with mostly mid 20-ish tattooed boys getting drunk, doing cannon balls and generally being slightly to very obnoxious. Again, didn't care as it's New Orleans. BUT, Sunday by the pool was so nice, all the partiers were gone, we got chairs, it was calm and a whole different vibe.
Staff at the hotel extremely friendly and welcoming, especially the bartenders at the pool bar.
It is really an oasis in the middle of crazy. The lobby is so beautiful, with fresh flowers and no "Bourbon Street" smell, it feels so welcoming.
Small cons: The carpet in our room was dirty and stained, it needs a good carpet cleaning or really a replacement. Also, how do you get maids to take dirty glasses that we used for soda and wine over the weekend? They always just left them in our room.
Really enjoyed our stay, this is now our first choice in New Orleans and we will be back. I will probably stay during the week next time so it's a little less crazy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sonesta New Orleans is the most Authentic French Quarter Experience located on world famous Bourbon Street, within steps of world-famous restaurants, antique shops, and premier tourist attractions. A landmark in New Orleans since 1969, its atmosphere reflects a strong European influence and Southern charm, with its elegant marbled lobby, tranquil fountains and sparkling chandeliers. The 483 room hotel including 36 suites features a secluded tropical courtyard, a beautifully landscaped outdoor pool, fitness center and five unique restaurants and lounges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Expedia, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Royal Sonesta New Orleans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Hotel New Orleans
- New Orleans Royal Sonesta
- New Orleans Sonesta Hotel
- Sonesta New Orleans
- Royal Sonesta Hotel