“Pet Friendly- but little grass nearby” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Sonesta New Orleans

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #23 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Iowa City, Iowa
“Pet Friendly- but little grass nearby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed two nights, in two parlor rooms. We booked through Priceline and somehow they had a record of our reservation but did not have any rooms for us. They were full except for parlors (very nice sitting rooms without beds). They brought in roll away beds (they were surprisingly comfortable). Our two westies had to walk about 4 blocks to get to any grass to do their business. The staff was helpful and accommodating to our pets. One of our rooms was on Bourbon street and it was loud on Saturday night, the other room was on the inside court yard and it was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My best friend and I stayed here for 5 days during Jazz Fest. We couldn't have picked a better location. We went out every night on Bourbon Street and it was SO good to be right near our hotel- especially if we were drinking, or if we had to run up to our room for something, we were RIGHT there. A HUGE plus. The hotel is close to everything, Royal St, Jackson Square, it was perfect. The hotel was beautiful. They have a coffee shop in the hotel- coffee, tea, muffins... the restaurant In the hotel is fantastic. They have the best oysters- The bar/jazz club is nice. They have jazz bands or singers in there. Fri and Sat they stay open really late. The pool is nice as well. We sat outside and had drinks. ( they make good bloody Mary's!) We saw people eating breakfast out by the pool too. The rooms were very clean, bathrooms on the smaller side, but I mostly cared that they were VERY clean... the whole room was spotless ( Im very picky about a clean hotel room) the bed was very comfortable. Our room overlooked Bourbon St. I read other reviews and others said it was noisy to overlook Bourbon. I didnt feel that way at all. Perfectly fine. Not too noisy.... although, we were dead tired after full days at Jazz Fest in the hot sun and going out on Bourbon St at night! The workers at the hotel were great. Everyone so nice. I especially liked Melvin, the security man at the door. So nice. Overall, I would say DEFINATELY stay here. Yes, you can find other places that would be cheaper? But honestly, this was perfect. Well worth it to be close to everything.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Renee W
Marquette, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I recently spent a couple days at the Royal Sonesta New Orleans for a business conference and throughly enjoyed it. The rooms are small (at least mine was), which is to be expected in a hotel of this age. But the room was nicely furnished, very clean and comfortable. You couldn't ask for a better location either, being right on Bourban Street! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lokeren Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed many nights in the Sonesta during the 1970's.
At that time it was by far the best hotel in New Orleans with the best food. The brunch was marvelous.
I stayed mostly on the executive floor facing the patio. This way I never had sleeping problems from the Bourbon Street noise. The service was impeccable and the staff was very friendly and cooperative.
If I ever go back to New Orleans it will be to the Royal Sonbesta.

Room Tip: If the executive floor still exists take a room there.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel but visited the Irvin Mayfields Jazz Playhouse several times during my time in New Orleans.
The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer as we were greeted at the hotel door and directed to the Playhouse. Once seated, the wait staff were equally pleasant and courteous. The venue is intimate and classy.
The crab cake appetizer was the best I found and they have a nice selection of beers to enjoy while listening to fantastic music.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Trollhattan, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice place on Bourbon Street. Perfect location, valet parking in the basement. Friendly staff. The room I had was small but well organized. Do not use the hotel breakfast restaurant, slow service and very expensive. Plenty of options are available.
Try to get a room that is not facing Bourbon street if you want to sleep...

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Love4meat
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed one night for business recently and it was my first time in New Orleans and for staying at a Royal Sonestra. What a great hotel! I stay at a lot of run of the mill places for business travel and forget how nice it is to stay in a hotel with some history and character. The front desk staff were great and they processed the long line of customers checking at the same time efficiently and professionally. I normally prefer king rooms and that is what I booked but they didnt have one ready when I checked in and was offered the option to check in immediately into a double queen or I could wait a bit for a king room. I chose to check in immediately as I was only staying one night it wouldn't matter much. I was very surprised to walk into my room on the 4th floor, it was a HUGE double queen room on the front right corner (from inside the hotel) with Bourbon Street views although no outdoor balcony but that part didnt matter. The room was clean and comfortable and the bed was great. I slept like a rock which was abnormal for me on the first night of a business trip even with all the action/noise on Bourbon Street which you can hear a little bit, there were a lot of live bands playing that night at the bars nearby. The bathroom had granite countertops with two sinks and plenty of room to spread out, I was traveling alone but you would have plenty of space for a couple or small family and their toiletries etc. The business room rate during the week was roughly $250 a night, pretty good for major metro/tourist area. There's a nice coffee shop and lounge in the lobby which were both great and the complimetary wifi was adequate for email and general web surfing or you can choose to upgrade to faster speeds for a typical hotel wifi charge. I wish I could have stayed longer, I'll try Royal Sonestra again in New Orleans and will definitely check them out when traveling in other cities in the future.

Room Tip: Bourbon Street is party central year round, ask for a room away from the action if you're a ligh...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business