Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Mazarin(New Orleans)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Le Marais(New Orleans)
  • Breakfast included
Prince Conti Hotel(New Orleans)
Grenoble House(New Orleans)
Hotel Monteleone(New Orleans)
Chateau Orleans(New Orleans)
4,589 results
All reviewsr clubjazz clubbourbon streetdesire oyster bardesire restaurantfrench quarterbalcony roompj's coffeebeautiful hoteloysterspeople watchingclub levelthird floormardi grasstreet noisethe location is perfectjackson square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was not my first trip to New Orleans and of course one can ever miss seeing the Royal Sonesta when walking down Bourbon. Its an icon, an institution. So when the opportunity arose to stay there for a few days over spring break, I took it.

The first obvious feature of the Royal Sonesta is the location. This could be a plus or a minus! You are definitely in the heart of the quarter and close to shops, bars and restaurants. But on the flip side, you are on Bourbon and it can be a bit crazy once you walk out the door. Use the Conti St. entrance to avoid some of the insanity.

Secondly, I must say that the staff is phenomenal. Extremely polite, helpful, exactly what you expect (and a bit more) from a 4 star hotel. Our room was very, very clean and the beds were comfortable. Our room was in the back and very quiet, however my parents room was across the hall from some balcony rooms and it got pretty rowdy, so keep that in mind when requesting a room. We were in a "standard" room and I felt the decor was pretty average and the furniture could use some updating. One chair was nearly threadbare in spots. The elevators were extremely slow and unpredictable (I once went from 4 to 2 and back 3 times before I arrived on the ground level). Additionally, if you are driving to the hotel it can be difficult to get in and out simply due to the fact that drunk pedestrians do not yield to cars. (FYI the parking garage is on Conti St). There was a pretty good free wi-fi connection.

Also, some may find this picky, but there was no coffee pot in the room. Yes, I know hotel room coffee is not always the greatest but it can be the difference between me being human first thing in the morning and not. I did not enjoy getting up, getting dressed (trying not to look like I had slept on Bourbon St) and going downstairs to wait in line for 20 minutes for a $5 cup of coffee. Never a good way for a coffee drinker to start the day.

I really wanted to love this hotel, really I did and I had great expectations but outside of the staff and the location, it doesn't present like a 4 star hotel. (If I had been paying the rack rate, I would have been extremely upset.)

With that said, if I come to New Orleans to browse the shops and eat good food, I will stay elsewhere. However, if I have come to party (and I've got a good rate), I would stay at the Royal Sonesta again.

Room Tip: If you want to party get a balcony room otherwise, request a room in the back.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vlfair
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in the Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans. This hotel is very well located in Bourbon Street, so that you can easily reach the peace you will surely need after walking from club to club, drinking, and listening to jazz, rock, blues or country music...They say Bourbon Street is decaying, but I totally desagree. It's still fun.
Back to the hotel: The Jazz Club is very good, indeed. The best option in the area. Good quality music all nights.
Prefer the rooms of the 3rd floor. They were renovated. The rooms of the other floors are very dark and old fashioned and aren't worth the money you will pay for them.
In reality the Hotel as a whole deserves a big renovation work. I suppose the Royal Sonesta should have been once very chic. Today it still looks beautiful, but tired. The restaurant and the bar are classy. Good wines, good food (but not extraordinary, unless for the price, really high). Good places to see and to be seen.
I would stay there again. For the location and for the jazz club.

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd floor.
1  Thank Minafrombrazil
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Location location location! Situated in the middle of the action on Bourbon Street, had a room overlooking a side street so not too noisy. Room very nice, looked recently refurbished, no issues with free wifi - good connectivity and speed. Hotel facilities decent, good outdoor pool and small but functional gym. Coffee shop on ground floor convenient (no coffee making facilities in room).

Ate at Desire (hotel) which was good. Also ate at Oceana Grill (just around the corner from hotel) which was great.

Service could be improved in hotel - lots of staff standing around not appearing that interested in helping the guests. Really should have tea/coffee facilities in the room. Overall glad we chose to stay in the heart of the action.

2  Thank Gareth M
Reviewed March 23, 2013

It was so nice to retreat to our room for some quiet time after leaving the hassle and bustle of the French Quarter. Rooms are spacious and very comfortable. There was even a fresh red rose in our bathroom that made me smile every morning. I love the attention to detail. All the staff were friendly and efficient. Would love to stay here again!

2  Thank Mary S
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My family and I wanted to stay in the FQ, and this hotel had availability. We had two rooms for two nights. Our room smelled of cigarette smoke, which we could detect each time we re-entered the room. The two rooms we had were very small, but adequate since we didn't spend much time in them. The hotel is right on Bourbon Street, which can be good or bad. We were there during St. Patrick's Day, so the parade attracted many drunken tourists. I will say that, though it was loud and crazy outside, we didn't hear anything once inside the hotel.

The bell staff were all friendly and helpful. We arrived at 2:30, but since check-in is 3 pm we were told our rooms weren't ready. The bell staff took our bags and we decided to walk around the FQ. The front desk employee said he would call me on my cell phone when the rooms were ready. At 4:30, I still hadn't received a call, so I went back to the front desk to try to nudge them along. Finally, at 5 pm we checked into our rooms. The front desk staff were just okay, not overly warm, with the exception of one woman who we met at check-out. They seemed a bit stressed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family