“unexpected delite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Sonesta New Orleans

You added Royal Sonesta New Orleans to your Saves list
Royal Sonesta New Orleans
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Bourbon Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% off Summer At Sonesta
Ranked #24 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Coldwater, Michigan
“unexpected delite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

upgraded to the "R" club on the 7th floor. Now we are spoiled forever!!
This is the place and it is right on Bourbon street next to all the action.
The REVOLUTION restaurant was costly but well worth the experience. The turtle soup was to die for.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and ask for the "R" club rooms on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kubotaking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Warwick, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been to New Orleans many times, mainly for business including customer entertaining and conferences. All this time, I never actually stayed inside the French Quarter, until now. Instead of staying at the event "host" hotel, we (10 of us with wives) changed things up this time and stayed at the Royal Sonesta. Using TA reviews and some personal friend's advice, we used this as our home base while we attended the conference and held 3 different evening events with 100+ customers each night.

This is the perfect location. If you plan on spending any time at all in the FQ, this is where you need to stay. The hotel is gorgeous. Our original room faced the side of a building and had the windows with "safety glass". So we upgraded to a balcony room that faces into the courtyard. You should do the same. Otherwise, you might be up all night with the festivities on Bourbon Street. Unless you are the ones joining the festivities and then it won't matter.

Bar and live music was the best. Great restaurant (only had breakfast there) and coffee shop.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room that faces the courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BackinNY
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Beautiful interior, attentive staff and nice accommodations. Jazz Bar adds a nice touch. Great location. The front door opens right onto the party atmosphere of Bourbon Street. Leave out the side door to walk 1/2 a block to the sophistication of Royal Street and it's shops. The main attractions of the French Quarter are walkable from this lovely hotel: Jackson Square, the Miss. River, Cafe DuMonde, and Central Grocery.

Room Tip: Recommend getting the interior rooms that are quieter than those facing Bourbon Street where the par...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OneHappyFamily1
DALLAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I arrived with 5 girlfriends for the infamous "Girl's Weekend" in New Orleans on a Saturday morning. We tried checking in but were too early for our rooms, and the front desk girl just could's get her act together about understanding who was in which room, what to do with our bags, etc. The manager came over, took her to the back, and then she emerged knowing what to do and with five $20 coupons for their restaurant. Very nice!!

The accomodations were lovely, very professional employees (after the first experience), and the one of the best beds I have every slept in. It was a classic New Orleans experience right in the heart of it all. The concierge led us to a great plantation tour that we would have otherwise overlooked, and even lent us umbrellas for our less than perfect weather.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MELINDA M
Round Lake Beach, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were on a much needed long weekend away to recharge (2/22-2/25) I really wanted to like this place, but the one after another bad experiences made this very frustrating.

Positives were that it was convenient being right on Bourbon Street. The lobby was pretty. When we visited the lounge two evenings the jazz music was very good. The bellmen were courteous and very helpful.

My husband arrived the night before I did and arranged for me to be on the room so I could get a key. The young man behind the desk seemed to be purposely ignoring me waiting on several people who walked up after I'd been standing "in line"; it took another guest saying I had been waiting since before she arrived for the young man to roll his eyes as he asked if he could help. I gave him my husband’s name and asked to get a key to the room. I was told I was not on the room so until I was I could not get a key. I asked to speak to a manager and he rolled his eyes and said "sure, but it's not going to help". The manager on duty did get things straightened out - after a call from my husband - but was not friendly.

I walked in and was met with very strong cigarette type smoke smell. I mentioned it at the desk but was told there was nothing they could do about it. I then tried to get a cocktail in the hotel lounge and after listening to the bartender argue with a guest who was trying to order a nice bottle of wine - bartender insisted this particular wine was only available by the bottle --- which is what the guest clearly ordered. Ten minutes of wait she looked may way and said "you gonna order something", I opted to support another business.

Housekeeping was VERY late and when we asked if they could get to our room (3 pm) so we could come back to get ready to go out they said yes, yet 40 minutes later they had not yet begun cleaning. They did not replenish supplies.

Two of the doormen were outstanding. When we spoke of some of the issues one insisted this was not how this hotel does things, yet when we tried to speak to a manager were told one was not available.

Sadly, disappointed but grateful the rest of our experiences in NOLA were positive.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room - one that faces the pool - not the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Tammy M
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Its my third stay at the Sonesta. I have stayed at at least 5 other hotels in New Orleans, and for my money it is the most beautiful, comfortable, convenient hotel in NOLA. The staff is ver efficient and courteous. Ashley checked me, helped me extend my stay, and gave me know issues when I had to cut my stay short at the last minute. Nicole also assisted me. I will only stay at the Royal Sonesta when in NOLA.

Room Tip: If you dont mind some Bourbon Street noise the side street balcony rooms are fun.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Saint Amant, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Every staff employee goes out of their way to make your your stay memorable. Beautiful hotel, clean and well worth the money. We had a balcony room on a side road and was worried that the noise outside would keep us awake.... Even though ere was a lot of renovations going on (we traveled the weekend before Super Bowl), we slept like babies.

This hotel offers for approximate $25 additional cost the concierge level. Upon checking in, they offered it to us. We definitely received our monies worth. Ere was a welcome reception with appetizers and drink if choice and in the mornings they offer a breakfast. Had we went out and paid for what we consumed (food and alcohol)' we would have spent well over $100. They food we excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple