We were on a much needed long weekend away to recharge (2/22-2/25) I really wanted to like this place, but the one after another bad experiences made this very frustrating.
Positives were that it was convenient being right on Bourbon Street. The lobby was pretty. When we visited the lounge two evenings the jazz music was very good. The bellmen were courteous and very helpful.
My husband arrived the night before I did and arranged for me to be on the room so I could get a key. The young man behind the desk seemed to be purposely ignoring me waiting on several people who walked up after I'd been standing "in line"; it took another guest saying I had been waiting since before she arrived for the young man to roll his eyes as he asked if he could help. I gave him my husband’s name and asked to get a key to the room. I was told I was not on the room so until I was I could not get a key. I asked to speak to a manager and he rolled his eyes and said "sure, but it's not going to help". The manager on duty did get things straightened out - after a call from my husband - but was not friendly.
I walked in and was met with very strong cigarette type smoke smell. I mentioned it at the desk but was told there was nothing they could do about it. I then tried to get a cocktail in the hotel lounge and after listening to the bartender argue with a guest who was trying to order a nice bottle of wine - bartender insisted this particular wine was only available by the bottle --- which is what the guest clearly ordered. Ten minutes of wait she looked may way and said "you gonna order something", I opted to support another business.
Housekeeping was VERY late and when we asked if they could get to our room (3 pm) so we could come back to get ready to go out they said yes, yet 40 minutes later they had not yet begun cleaning. They did not replenish supplies.
Two of the doormen were outstanding. When we spoke of some of the issues one insisted this was not how this hotel does things, yet when we tried to speak to a manager were told one was not available.
Sadly, disappointed but grateful the rest of our experiences in NOLA were positive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sonesta New Orleans is the most Authentic French Quarter Experience located on world famous Bourbon Street, within steps of world-famous restaurants, antique shops, and premier tourist attractions. A landmark in New Orleans since 1969, its atmosphere reflects a strong European influence and Southern charm, with its elegant marbled lobby, tranquil fountains and sparkling chandeliers. The 483 room hotel including 36 suites features a secluded tropical courtyard, a beautifully landscaped outdoor pool, fitness center and five unique restaurants and lounges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Royal Sonesta New Orleans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Hotel New Orleans
- New Orleans Royal Sonesta
- New Orleans Sonesta Hotel
- Sonesta New Orleans
- Royal Sonesta Hotel