“Thank goodness for the doorman”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #29 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Round Lake Beach, Illinois, United States
“Thank goodness for the doorman”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were on a much needed long weekend away to recharge (2/22-2/25) I really wanted to like this place, but the one after another bad experiences made this very frustrating.

Positives were that it was convenient being right on Bourbon Street. The lobby was pretty. When we visited the lounge two evenings the jazz music was very good. The bellmen were courteous and very helpful.

My husband arrived the night before I did and arranged for me to be on the room so I could get a key. The young man behind the desk seemed to be purposely ignoring me waiting on several people who walked up after I'd been standing "in line"; it took another guest saying I had been waiting since before she arrived for the young man to roll his eyes as he asked if he could help. I gave him my husband’s name and asked to get a key to the room. I was told I was not on the room so until I was I could not get a key. I asked to speak to a manager and he rolled his eyes and said "sure, but it's not going to help". The manager on duty did get things straightened out - after a call from my husband - but was not friendly.

I walked in and was met with very strong cigarette type smoke smell. I mentioned it at the desk but was told there was nothing they could do about it. I then tried to get a cocktail in the hotel lounge and after listening to the bartender argue with a guest who was trying to order a nice bottle of wine - bartender insisted this particular wine was only available by the bottle --- which is what the guest clearly ordered. Ten minutes of wait she looked may way and said "you gonna order something", I opted to support another business.

Housekeeping was VERY late and when we asked if they could get to our room (3 pm) so we could come back to get ready to go out they said yes, yet 40 minutes later they had not yet begun cleaning. They did not replenish supplies.

Two of the doormen were outstanding. When we spoke of some of the issues one insisted this was not how this hotel does things, yet when we tried to speak to a manager were told one was not available.

Sadly, disappointed but grateful the rest of our experiences in NOLA were positive.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room - one that faces the pool - not the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tammy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Its my third stay at the Sonesta. I have stayed at at least 5 other hotels in New Orleans, and for my money it is the most beautiful, comfortable, convenient hotel in NOLA. The staff is ver efficient and courteous. Ashley checked me, helped me extend my stay, and gave me know issues when I had to cut my stay short at the last minute. Nicole also assisted me. I will only stay at the Royal Sonesta when in NOLA.

Room Tip: If you dont mind some Bourbon Street noise the side street balcony rooms are fun.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Saint Amant, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Every staff employee goes out of their way to make your your stay memorable. Beautiful hotel, clean and well worth the money. We had a balcony room on a side road and was worried that the noise outside would keep us awake.... Even though ere was a lot of renovations going on (we traveled the weekend before Super Bowl), we slept like babies.

This hotel offers for approximate $25 additional cost the concierge level. Upon checking in, they offered it to us. We definitely received our monies worth. Ere was a welcome reception with appetizers and drink if choice and in the mornings they offer a breakfast. Had we went out and paid for what we consumed (food and alcohol)' we would have spent well over $100. They food we excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda C
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The seventh floor accommodations were very comfortable. The staff were extremely accommodating. Security and sound proofing even on a major holiday on Bourbon St. Was remarkable. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the seventh floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was a great hotel. Since it is on a main street, we asked for quiet room and it was quiet and overlooked a small courtyard. You couldn't hear anything on Bourbon and only could hear people out in the courtyard which happens with any hotel room. Service was excellent, it was a little cold for me so I asked for another blanket and they brought up a warm comforter. Staff remember your name, extremely helpful and the location is perfect. This would be a great place to stay. Even if you want to visit other parts of New Orleans, you are three blocks away from two lines (the 11 and the streetcar) which take you to the other parts of New Orleans.

Room Tip: We requested a "quiet room"
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jackie K
Biloxi, MS
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed 24 - 29 Dec 12 @ $169 a night. To begin the clerk at the desk was not very welcoming and did not give clear information about luggage and parking. The room was small, and constantly smelled like grilling steak. One of the bellboys told us at the end of the week that it is because the Oyster Bar "Desire" was supposed to serve only cold food and now it serves cooked food. Obviously the exhaust system is faulty. Every evening at about the same time, it sounded like a jacuzzi tub was running for over an hour, very loud and very disturbing. Bedding was comfortable. The second night, at approximately 1am, when I flushed the toilet it exploded, with water going everywhere. Called the desk and they sent housekeeping and maintenance. So at 2am, there is no place to go to the bathroom and maintenance is taking apart the toilet. They moved us to a better room at that time. Yes there was champagne waiting, and comps for breakfast, but it did not make up for the smell and the incovenience. After I spoke to the manager a day later, she sent another bottle of wine and more comps for b'fast. She didn't seem to know anything about the "steak" smell in the first room, but said she would look into it. Parking was $201 for the 5 nights. Will NOT stay there again, worst experience in New Orleans to date.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KaronLynn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Royal Sonesta has a great location on Bourbon street. The room was a nice size and the bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly and attentive and you don't even feel like you are on Bourbon street when in the hotel because it is quiet and calm. They do a great job of keeping the party goers on Bourbon street and not in the hotel. The elevator was a little slow that was my only complaint. Had a great stay and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends