“The BEST concierge ever!”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #30 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Everyone else has covered what a great hotel this is. The concierge, Jim, is fantastic. Just tell him what type of jazz you enjoy and he will send you to the right place. The restaurants he made reservations for were exactly what we wanted. We asked his opinion every day and he always made time for each person. He is from NOLA, so he is an expert on his city. Can't wait to go back to the Royal Sonesta again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on the side streets are also noisy with the drunks feeling the need to yell all the ti...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carmac007
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Reviews like yours are exactly what we strive for! We appreciate your taking the time to share how our team managed to exceed your expectations, specifically how our concierge Jim personalized all your daily activities. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal Sonesta Hotel very soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,438)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I came to celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans and chose the Royal Sonesta as our hotel. We had a very simple problem with our room on check-in and the hotel manager, Katherine, immediately came to our rescue! She moved us into a great room and recognized us by name every time she saw us coming or going. She helped us with a package that was shipped to our room and made an incredible effort, even in the midst of crazy Fat Tuesday crowds and traffic in and out of the hotel, to make our stay perfect.

The hotel is in an amazing part of town, right on Bourbon Street and is an absolute jewel. The architecture and rooms are stunning and are just so "New Orleans"! If you come, you have to try out Desire. Best food and people-watching in the city!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bmkennedy

Bmkennedy, reading your review really made our day and we are looking forward to sharing it with our team! Thank you for staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel this Mardi Gras and taking the time to share how Desire Bistro & Oyster Bar and our management team, specifically our Director of Guest Relations Katherine Jolivette, managed to exceed your expectations! Please come back to see us again.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I traveled with my finace and a fairly large group and we were NOT disappointed! We traveled during Mardi Gras and had such a great time the staff was amazing us in directing us to the right places. We stayed on the 7th floor and had a breakfast that was served to us with a large breakfast selection, and they had a wonderful cocktail hour everyday with the most amazing staff, Darin and Carl were so very friendly and pleasant. The general manager Al Groos was very thoughtful and always helpful, when we mentioned to him that we needed a taxi to the airport and were leaving fat tuesday he had one called and said they'd be waiting at noon. Overall, this hotel, thier wonderful jacuzzi bathtub, and AMAZING staff was perfect, we will definetly return!!! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

Room Tip: The 7th floor was amazing and had a great happy hour everyday!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Jill, thank you for your gracious Mardi Gras review! We appreciate you recognizing how our team at the Royal Sonesta Hotel successfully manages to give each guest the highest quality service, especially in the midst of special events. Your compliments will certainly be passed on to Darin, Carl and Mr. Groos. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We love New Orleans and have stayed at the Royal Sonesta many times. To this day to front doorman knows are names and greets us each time we come and go. The rooms are small but luxurious and include many amnenties. The staff treat us like royalty and pamper us to no end. The restuarant, Benines,(can't spell it right) is top notch. The Friday buffet is all you can eat and has the best desserts we have ever eaten. Room service is fast, efficient, and superior to none. We love the Royal Sonesta and try to stay there as often as we can.
If you want a special place to stay for you and a loved one to have a great time, choose this hotel. One note of help-ask for a quiet room or you will be kept up by all the partying on Bourbon street. Love this place and give it a TEN star rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. The suites on Bourbon Street are beautiful if you want to party.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Nitingal, reviews like yours are exactly what we strive for! We are so pleased to read that our friendly doorman and efficient, delicious room service stood out to you most during your royal stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Thank you for your feedback and high rating. Please remember to come back next time you’re in New Orleans.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Big shout out to Barbara Mays at the Royal Sonesta in New Orleans! She is wonderful! Such a kind heart and a huge help! Customer Service at the Royal Sonesta is wonderful here and I would recommend staying here for sure! Clean hotel, friendly people, great location!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have visited New Orleans countless times and stayed in many hotels in and near the French Quarter, but this was my first time at the Royal Sonesta. Despite arriving the morning after the Super Bowl, my deluxe king room was spotless and ready for my early arrival. The staff was all consistently friendly, knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful. Example: on my last day there the main lobby ladies room was temporarily closed for repairs. A maintenance man personally escorted me to the closest ballroom restroom and apologized profusely for the inconvenience. Another example: on my first day the housekeeper clearly noticed that I had a cold and was blowing my nose a lot. I returned to my room to find that she had placed extra boxes of tissues in the bathroom, on the desk, and by my bed.

The only warning I would give is that the main entrance is on Bourbon Street-with all that entails. Several seedy Hustler and strip clubs are nearby. Travelers with children may wish to stay elsewhere.

I highly recommend this hotel and would welcome the chance to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank BlueDevil94
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a local and booked a room on the Concierge Floor for me and my 16 year old niece and her friend who were visiting from California. Although the room was small, we did enjoy the jacuzzi and wi-fi. The rooms were always clean and the staff very helpful.

One of the beds was not comfortable, although management contacted me after my stay to apologize and assure me that the beds were new and that it was probably the box springs that were bad. Whatever. I've stayed in countless hotels all over the world and at my age, know a bad bed when I sleep in one. I guess at over $300/night, I expected a quality bed, although the duvet, linen and pillows were almost equal to what I have at home.

I have found in my travels that by paying a little extra for the RClub room, I actually save money because breakfast and cocktail hour appetizers are always included on a concierge floor. The wine and liquor at the Sonesta was definitely not top shelf but it was passable. Being from New Orleans, I'm somewhat of a snob about food but was pleasantly surprised that the food was very good.

My main complaint, especially having two 16 year olds with me, was that the pool closed too early. I was told that it closed early because the noise would disturb guests with a pool-side balcony but it make little sense to close the pool at dusk(!) in August, no less. A reasonable hour, such as 9PM should be the cutoff.

In summary, the Sonesta is all about location, location, location but the concierge floor was definitely a plus. I would warn tourists to stay off of Canal Street after dark (and Rampart Street for that matter) and to be careful in the first couple of hundred blocks of Bourbon, where for some reason thugs like to gather late at night. Other than that, if you stay aware and keep on the populated streets, your stay should be safe and fun.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family