I am a local and booked a room on the Concierge Floor for me and my 16 year old niece and her friend who were visiting from California. Although the room was small, we did enjoy the jacuzzi and wi-fi. The rooms were always clean and the staff very helpful.
One of the beds was not comfortable, although management contacted me after my stay to apologize and assure me that the beds were new and that it was probably the box springs that were bad. Whatever. I've stayed in countless hotels all over the world and at my age, know a bad bed when I sleep in one. I guess at over $300/night, I expected a quality bed, although the duvet, linen and pillows were almost equal to what I have at home.
I have found in my travels that by paying a little extra for the RClub room, I actually save money because breakfast and cocktail hour appetizers are always included on a concierge floor. The wine and liquor at the Sonesta was definitely not top shelf but it was passable. Being from New Orleans, I'm somewhat of a snob about food but was pleasantly surprised that the food was very good.
My main complaint, especially having two 16 year olds with me, was that the pool closed too early. I was told that it closed early because the noise would disturb guests with a pool-side balcony but it make little sense to close the pool at dusk(!) in August, no less. A reasonable hour, such as 9PM should be the cutoff.
In summary, the Sonesta is all about location, location, location but the concierge floor was definitely a plus. I would warn tourists to stay off of Canal Street after dark (and Rampart Street for that matter) and to be careful in the first couple of hundred blocks of Bourbon, where for some reason thugs like to gather late at night. Other than that, if you stay aware and keep on the populated streets, your stay should be safe and fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sonesta New Orleans is the most Authentic French Quarter Experience located on world famous Bourbon Street, within steps of world-famous restaurants, antique shops, and premier tourist attractions. A landmark in New Orleans since 1969, its atmosphere reflects a strong European influence and Southern charm, with its elegant marbled lobby, tranquil fountains and sparkling chandeliers. The 483 room hotel including 36 suites features a secluded tropical courtyard, a beautifully landscaped outdoor pool, fitness center and five unique restaurants and lounges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Royal Sonesta New Orleans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Hotel New Orleans
- New Orleans Royal Sonesta
- New Orleans Sonesta Hotel
- Sonesta New Orleans
- Royal Sonesta Hotel