“Nice classy hotel”

Royal Sonesta New Orleans
Ranked #29 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was our first stay here, it's in a great location, right on Bourbon, close to bars,music and great food.Upon arrival we met Malcolm, an energetic doorman whom we enjoyed talking to. Check in was a breeze, we had room 3165 overlooking thru a window Bourbon st. it did get noisy at night but it was tolerable. The room had a comfy king bed, big flat screen tv and a really clean bathroom. We had booked a special which included a bottle of champagne and a coupon book. I ordered room service on our last night, very nice lady came with our food. We went to Desire for breakfast once, had sausage gravy over biscuits for $6, hubby added two eggs for another $6.Our server was the nicest lady. We also went here for apps one night with our coupons, had cajun crawfish tail, gumbo and chargrilled oysters, all were yummy and again the servers were great. We didn't use the pool but peeked in. Overall we had an enjoyable stay. Would we stay here again, no,only because we like to try out different hotels on our trips to New Orleans.

1  Thank ralphy57

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Husband and I were here for five days celebrating our anniversary Sept 16-20.
FIRST IMPRESSION: as I'm sure others have stated, the lobby is beautiful, the door man extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and check in was a breeze.we were even offered to change rooms if we had a preference (I've read many reviews and decided the extra cost...£50/day...wasn't worth it owing to the fact that I sleep heavily)
ROOM: most importantly it was clean. We had a king sized room facing Burbon, directly facing a jazz cafe across the street. no balcony. Well stocked bar which I always decline to touch secondary to the exorbitant cost. The closet was a good size and I was able to stash my large (very large) suitcase no problem and have pleanty of space for clothes including three drawers. I must say that the windows are sealed shut, so forget fresh air. I slept well every night in the cozy bed, and I barely noticed any noise at all!
HOTEL AMENITIES: I was on the third floor, where the pool was. I was so busy enjoying the city and all it had to offer, I didn't bother with the pool. I loved the jazz bar in the lobby. Only one California bread cocktail waitress with a bad attitude tempted to spoil my evening yelling at us because we went to the bar instead of of ordering our drinks from her. She clearly was in need of customer service training...so we kept it moving. RESTAURANT: we went to Desire for breakfast one day. Helen was our waitress. So nice!!! And my breakfast jumbalya was everything! Breakfast for two was about $45 and worth it
SMALL ISSUE: our in room safe was broken upon arrival. We called the desk and security came and reset the safe within a few minutes. Unfortunatly it worked for about 24 hrs and broke again. Security came again and replaced the batteries, and even gave us drink coupons at the jazz bar in the lobby for our troubles. The safe again had displayed another error message within a day. For the third time security came and finally replaced the entire safe. You seriously don't want to walk around that town with all your vaca cash on you!
LOCATION: forget it no place better...perfect, safe, close to everything, great food, great music. Everything your NOLA experience needs to be!
LAST IMPRESSION: will I stay here again? Absolutely! Will I recommend you stay here? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Do you sleep heavily? Then Burbon street facing room won't matter. Just people noise, mostly. Th...
1  Thank mrsmitchellrn
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is right in the heart of the French Quarter. Be sure to ask for an interior room facing the courtyard. If your room is in the front, you will be kept awake by the bars on Bourbon Street which don't close until 2-3 in the morning. The rooms are very nice, although slightly dated. The lobby, courtyard and pool areas are fabulous.

1  Thank nbassil
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thanks for choosing to stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on your recent visit to New Orleans! We’re glad you liked your interior guest room with a tranquil courtyard view. We hope you get chance to come back soon so you can stay in one of our newly renovated guest rooms on the third floor. See you on your next visit!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I were more or less having a stay-cation. I am originally from NOLA but, haven't lived there in 15 years. We are both in our 50's and decided to bring our bicycles and are so glad we did. I called prior to our stay to make sure our bikes would be safe in the garage and they assured me they would be so, we took off for NOLA. We arrived very late in the evening. We informed the valet that we would need easy access to our bikes as we planned on them for daily transportation. Because of the bike rack on the back of our vehicle he had to park in a larger space. Lucky us, that space was adjacent to the valet desk! Not only did we feel our bikes would be safe but, we had excellent access each and every morning. We could come and go as quickly as we pleased. It was such a pleasant experience riding around the French Quarter and playing tourist in my home town. I would definitely recommend bringing bikes if you are so inclined. No taxi's for us! The French Quarter is centrally located to so many New Orleans attractions and, therefore, within easy biking distance. We definitely plan on doing it again and look forward to that next stay.

Room Tip: If you want a room on pool level choose the 3rd floor inside room. Inside rooms on floors 4 and 5 h...
1  Thank chicotgal

We are so glad that our hotel valet made it easy for you to thoroughly enjoy your biking adventure in the historic French Quarter! Thank you for deciding to stay at our convenient location and for recommending our third floor guest rooms for quick access to the pool. We appreciate your feedback and hope you return to the Royal Sonesta Hotel for all future stay-cations!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I booked this hotel for a party of ten people via Expedia. It was our first trip to New Orleans, (we are all from the UK) and we only booked this hotel because one of our party know a couple from Chicago who were staying there at the same time. Our booking showed we were booked into 5 "standard rooms" so we were not expecting anything particularly special. But when we got there - wow! Our rooms were spacious, clean, with views of either a courtyard or the pool and once you left the delightful madness of Bourbon St and were in your room, it was like all the noise had magically disappeared! Every member of staff we came across were helpful, friendly and professional, they really could not do enough for us. Special mentions for Russell, the concierge, and Malcolm, the doorman, who regularly went above and beyond the call of duty and always looked genuinely pleased to see us!
Desire oyster bar, part of the hotel, is FANTASTIC. We had breakfast there three mornings out of five, it was so good! And we had dinner there, oysters of course - an acquired taste, but I am so glad I experienced them in this town. And our waitress, Jo-Ann, was FABULOUS! She gave us ALL a hug and a kiss when we left (and no, that was not because she was pleased to see us go or because we over-tipped).
The Irvin Mayfield bar was fabulous, mouth watering cocktails, excellent and attentive service, wonderful live music and electrifying atmosphere.
The rooftop pool is actually on the third floor, so is surrounded by the rest of the five floors and therefore is an oasis of calm and tranquillity. It has its own bar which will put together pretty much any drink you can think of, as well as free iced water and free sunblock (which you will need, even in late September - we had 5 days of unbroken sunshine and it was HOT).
Make no mistake, this hotel is RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MADNESS of Bourbon Street, so if you want to experience New Orleans the party town, this is the hotel you want! Rooms on the outside of the hotel will be noisy, of course they will, you are on Bourbon Street, for goodness sake! The reviews complaining about party noise did rather leave me questioning the sanity of anyone booking a hotel on Bourbon Street and wanting an early night, but to be fair if you do request an internal room, you will not hear a thing!
We will be coming back to New Orleans, of that I have no doubt, and the Royal Sonesta will be our first and only choice of hotel when we return.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool or inner courtyards are very quiet and guarantee a good nights sleep free...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank duckpizza

We couldn’t be happier that your group had such a memorable stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans complete with personable service from our team, delicious breakfast and fresh oysters at Desire Bistro & Oyster Bar, “electrifying” rooftop pool, and authentic New Orleans jazz at Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse. We will proudly pass your compliments along to Russell, Malcolm, and JoAnn. Thank you so much for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming your group back soon!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Beautiful glam upscale hotel with very good services. The hotel manager was seen everywhere in the hotel all throughouth the day and night making sure all guests were very well taken care of. The pool area, gym, piano lounge and restaurant "desire" were all first class and really made my hotel stay that much more enjoyable. The Concierge and front desk services and suggestions were first rate and the rooms were very clean . All of the employees all around the hotel were very nice and helpful. I felt very pampered. A++

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room in the back....
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank weezer w

Weezer, we are beaming from your review! Our managers and service team at the Royal Sonesta Hotel work very hard at ensuring all guests feel safe, welcome, and pampered. We appreciate your feedback and wish that you come back soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We loved the Royal Sonesta on a visit a few years ago- our room was large, updated and had lovely French doors that opened to the pool. The service was also excellent. I wish I could say the same for this visit.

Based on our love on the last visit, we booked 5 rooms and a two room suite for a group of friends. It was our anniversary so we requested a room upgrade from the standard that we booked. It cost us an extra $100 a night and was a total waste of money- more details to follow.

Every single room was very dated, the furniture was not in good shape and they were not particularly clean. One person in our group described their room as 'craptastic'. Our upgraded room had a small balcony that faced the Legends of Jazz park. This feature was cool during the day, we could hear the jazz. At night this feature was a nightmare. It was so loud that it sounded like Bourbon street was in our room until about 3 or 4 am. Also, the toilet leaked the entire time we were there, soaking the bathroom rug. After 3 days I finally put the rug with the towels so they would replace it because it had turned black from our shoes on the wet mat. The hot water knob occasionally would fall off and have to be screwed back on and one afternoon the shower only had cold water.

The service this year was not pleasant. The same gentleman was the doorman but he had a much different attitude. When he brought our bags in we dug around and found some cash for a tip. He clearly didn't think that was enough because he kept standing there staring at us meanacingly until we came up with more, then he did the same to our friends. I believe in tipping and always do, fairly generously. He made me not want to tip he was so rude. He then behaved the same way when he hailed a cab and again as we left with our bags. It was very uncomfortable and again, we are tippers so I have no idea why he behaved that way.

Overall, beautiful lobby & bar, great location (IF you are in a room not on bourbon) the fresh flowers all over the lobby were a nice welcome each time we returned. The rooms were low end motel quality (unless you get one on the third floor facing the pool - it was our experience during the last visit that these rooms were great!) and avoid the doorman!

Overall I was very disappointed and a little embarrassed because we chose the hotel for this trip and all of our friends had similar experiences.

It should also be noted that we often visit NOLA during our anniversary and all of the other hotels have given us a welcome letter and usually something extra - fruit, cookies, something on our anniversary. Not only were we there for our anniversary, we were responsible for 5 rooms and one 2 room suite being booked at their hotel and we were lucky to come back to a clean room, let alone a note. Since most of the rooms were booked in our name you would think that they might at least say thank you, or since we were paying the upgrade fee specifically for our anniversary it might be a nice idea to at least acknowledge it.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Tradewinns
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

First of all, we sincerely apologize for your disappointing Anniversary stay. Please know that we do not normally receive this type of feedback on service or on guest room cleanliness. Complaints such as these are taken very seriously by our management team and we strongly urge you to contact our Director of Guest Relations Katherine Jolivette at 504-553-2236 so that she can follow up on your observations and so we can address them. We thank you for your feedback.